If you had to pick one breed that wasnt angus or hereford??

Help Support CattleToday:

Bdubbs55

Reaction score
So my wife is trying to talk me into picking one breed instead of having a bunch or different kinds of cattle. My thoughts are that I love them all. At this point I'm a hereford lover. But if I had to pick somthing different im looking at simmental and limosine. Let me know your thoughts

I really liked the Blonde d'Aquitaine and I'd still be using them if the markets were more accepting (educated). The calves we got out of Simmental cows from Blonde bulls were an incredible animal.

I goes without saying that I love my Limis. They fit the local markets well, bring growth and pounds per day of age to the people that use my bulls and overall, are a good fit geographically. My second favorite is Red Angus. As a stand alone, I'm not blown away, I think there is far too much difference between commercial lines and what the purebred breeders aim for. The ones that are maternal give up too much growth for me, and the ones that have the growth give up way to much phenotype. Having said all that, I have found that the cross phenomenally on our Limis. I get the extra maternal traits I want from the RA, the growth and carcass yield from the Limis, and get to keep a solid red hide. We do run some black Angus, but have whittled that group down a bit as there seems to be fewer lines that I like to cross on our Limis and I often loose the red hide, so they are not my favorite compliment to the Limis. We've had Sims, Hereford and Chars, along with clubbies (Maine, Chi, ect). and none of those fit the direction of our program and location.

I really liked the Blonde d'Aquitaine and I'd still be using them if the markets were more accepting (educated). The calves we got out of Simmental cows from Blonde bulls were an incredible animal.
How did you find the blonde meat? I found it was lacking fat and flavour. It wasn't bad by a long shot and if you cooked it right was quite good but i do like a big of fat for flavour.

Latest posts