If you had to pick one breed that wasnt angus or hereford??

Help Support CattleToday:

I've been a Simmental guy since 1983... but cut my teeth on those original red/yellow white-faced & spotted Simmies; feel like a lot's been lost with the move to black... though I still like them better than Angus.
If color didn't come with an undeserved discount, there'd be a bunch of Braunvieh cows in my pastures.
How would the calves from an Angus bull do out of those Braunvieh cows Lucky_P?

Most every breeds trait characteristics were hurt with the move to black.The Simmental association is screwing the breed with the open herd book and its "upgrading" system, any wack job bozo who has no business breeding cattle can make a "purebred" Simmental.
That's why I like to run some fullblood bulls. Gives me the warm fuzzy feeling that I'm not straying irreversibly far from the true breed.

Bdubbs- Hello Fellow Oregonian! We also like variety but only have one breed. Murray Greys. Within one breed we have silvers, duns, dark chocolate colored smokes and blacks. Select Sire/Universal Semen sales has semen available but we keep our own tank.

How would the calves from an Angus bull do out of those Braunvieh cows Lucky_P?
Brown Swiss are more "beefier" than other dairy cows like Holstein, Jersey, Guernsey and Ayrshire . Breed them to a homozygous black bull, and you will get a black,. polled calf. Had a guy with a dairy around here , that quit doing it about 15 years ago, and now markets yard eggs, free-=range chickens, grass-fed beef, goat milk and meat, and mutton. He also has this thing where you buy a diary cow, and he charges you board and charges you to milk it. Will deliver it for an additional; charge as well, if you want. That makes it is YOUR raw milk. Anyway, he uses Jersey and Brown Swiss cows for this. He has bred them to Brahma bulls, and the Brown Swiss/ Brahmas made pretty good cows. People who buy them breed them to an Angus, and the calves look like Brangus with a tad less ear.

Brown Swiss are more "beefier" than other dairy cows like Holstein, Jersey, Guernsey and Ayrshire . Breed them to a homozygous black bull, and you will get a black,. polled calf. Had a guy with a dairy around here , that quit doing it about 15 years ago, and now markets yard eggs, free-=range chickens, grass-fed beef, goat milk and meat, and mutton. He also has this thing where you buy a diary cow, and he charges you board and charges you to milk it. Will deliver it for an additional; charge as well, if you want. That makes it is YOUR raw milk. Anyway, he uses Jersey and Brown Swiss cows for this. He has bred them to Brahma bulls, and the Brown Swiss/ Brahmas made pretty good cows. People who buy them breed them to an Angus, and the calves look like Brangus with a tad less ear.
Braunvieh and brown swiss are different breeds, at least in the US. The brown swiss were bred from braunvieh, but selected for dairy traits, while the braunvieh were bred for more traditional beef characteristics. I believe that in Europe braunvieh are more of a dual purpose breed still, but I could be wrong.

I'm in the butthole of the world as far as bovine genetics goes, can't find squat, so I have to pick from what's available.. I'd like to get a bull from Hillsdown, but a day driving each way doesn't sound too fun.. especially for just one animal

I'm in the butthole of the world as far as bovine genetics goes, can't find squat, so I have to pick from what's available.. I'd like to get a bull from Hillsdown, but a day driving each way doesn't sound too fun.. especially for just one animal
There are trucks coming to Kamloops nearly every week.

TT,
I had a really nice group of Braunvieh-X heifers, sired by fullblood Braunvieh bulls, out of high-% Angus cows(with 1/4 or less Simmental) here before we dispersed. Really liked them. Most were black, but we had enough red-carrier cows in the herd that we got quite a few brindles... which I really liked!, and a few 'wild-color' - black with reddish points and pale muzzle band, which I also liked.
The steer counterparts were really good - scale-mashers with good bone & muscle, but as some were brindle or off-colored, they got docked(i.e. 'stolen') when they went through the ring.

There are - as in many other breeds - some black purebred Braunvieh bulls out there, but we did not use any of them... I really like the 'original' color, as much as I prefer the original Simmental colors.

Pick what you want. It is not like it is your life, your wife or your first born child. I don't care what you run so long
as you don't try to run it on me.

🤓Buy 2....😅

I never have been and never will be a single breed cattleman. My cows generally look like a box of crayons. My bulls over a lot of years have been some very good breeding and generally purebred. But I can only think of one bull that was registered before I bought him. I am in business to make money. And over the years I have made more money on ugly back pasture cattle than I have from fancy front pasture ones.

Bdubbs- Hello Fellow Oregonian! We also like variety but only have one breed. Murray Greys. Within one breed we have silvers, duns, dark chocolate colored smokes and blacks. Select Sire/Universal Semen sales has semen available but we keep our own tank.
I believe the catalog we use is genex

Latest posts