Bull pick

Help Support CattleToday:

firemen122

Reaction score
I have picked up about 20 3-5 yr old black angus and Brangus cattle. I have them fattening back up nicely now. I want to drop a bull in around November to December. I am in the North Florida area.

I have my thoughts set on a Hereford or black Hereford. I am thinking that will make some real nice black baldies that should put on weight real good and still do well at the market. Anybody have any thoughts in this combination before I pull the trigger?

Possibility of some red calves with the Hereford. Also possoble with the Black Hereford unless he is homozygous black. Might be cheaper calves come sale time.
That being said i really like a horned Hereford.

I have picked up about 20 3-5 yr old black angus and Brangus cattle. I have them fattening back up nicely now. I want to drop a bull in around November to December. I am in the North Florida area.

I have my thoughts set on a Hereford or black Hereford. I am thinking that will make some real nice black baldies that should put on weight real good and still do well at the market. Anybody have any thoughts in this combination before I pull the trigger?
You didn't say if they were reg or commercial. If they are homozygous for black., you can use a Hereford bull and you will get all black calves. But any that are hetera black could yield a red calf. If you get one that is homozygous for black, then a Black Hereford will sire all black calves. While black baldies sell as well as black calves, they don't sell better. Unless you are just dead set on the idea of black baldies, in your location you couldn't do better than a Brangus bull. If you did Ai, or if you could set up two separate herds at breeding time, I would think long and hard on using a homo for black and polled black Simm bull on the Brangus. If that bull was a bwf, he might even put one on those Brangus calves.

Last edited:
You are likely going to lose money going for baldies over using a good black Angus bull if you are just going to the auction barn.

If you really want baldies just get a real Hereford and deal with the few reds. If the quality on them is good the little dock won't matter on that many. I like baldies so I would just go with the few reds.

20220406_140134.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. This will be a commercial herd. There are purebred Brangus cattle in there, I do not have the papers on them. I could trace them back through their brand I am sure.. I was wondering if anybody would bring up a Brangus bull. My initial gut was to drop a Brangus bull on them and roll on, but wanted to see if anybody else thought a Hereford might be a good thought as well. I was trying to think outside the black box. lol

Thanks for the replies. This will be a commercial herd. There are purebred Brangus cattle in there, I do not have the papers on them. I could trace them back through their brand I am sure.. I was wondering if anybody would bring up a Brangus bull. My initial gut was to drop a Brangus bull on them and roll on, but wanted to see if anybody else thought a Hereford might be a good thought as well. I was trying to think outside the black box. lol
If it was me, I would go with a Brangus bull. Reckon how many of yours are Angus and how many Brangus? Now IF they were all or mostly all Brangus, that black Simm might be worth a try. While a black baldie calf may bring as much as a black calf, they will not bring more . And an Ultrablack ..Ang x Brangus...will out grow, for sure, or at least grow as well, as the black baldy. The black Simm x Brangus will for SURE out grow the black baldies. With your herd of mixed Angus and Brangus, the Branmgus bull will gve you either Brangus or Ultrablack calves, both of which will top the north Fla market.

Fireman W.E.T. farms in O'brien has some good Brangus Bulls. I am keeping all the heifers off of the bull I have in my picture so I am about to sell him. He is half Char and half Brangus. Both parents were registered. He turned 6 August. . Been breeding him over Angus and Brangus cows.

Breed really doesn't matter much as long as (if your cows are Brangus/Angus) you aren't using the same breed bull. Hybrid vigor is a real thing and if you use Brangus on Brangus/Angus on Angus the calves won't be getting the benefit of crossing. And if you don't want calves that get docked for color you either need homozygous black cows or a homozygous black bull.

Anything homozygous black, black Hereford, Simmental, Limousine, will make your calves reliably black and give you hybrid vigor. The trick is to find the right bull for the cows you have and that means evaluating your cows for their weaknesses and choosing a bull to compliment their deficiencies. You want meaty, long, fast growing, black calves to top the sales.

If your cows are homozygous black you can use red Beefmaster, Hereford, Sim, Lim, or anything European breed solid colored red.

Last edited:
How far are you from Livingston, Alabama? Third Saturday in November, they are having a Angus, Simmental, and SimmAngus bull sale. https://nextstepcattleco.com/annual-sale/

Call Mr. VictorDomino, on this board. If he has anything that will cover your 20 cows, buy it. It will more than repay the dock in any red calves in quality. Note: save all the heifer calves as replacements, if you aare not a terminal herd.