If you had to pick one breed that wasnt angus or hereford??

Help Support CattleToday:

We are prima BA but we have some Red Angus and Herefords sprinkled in. I also enjoy the baldy calves we retained that have matured into fine mommas. As others have stated, variety is nice.
As was told me 43 years ago when Herefords reigned supreme in this area, the only way to beat a baldy cow was with a club.......

Hereford and Angus make about all of our cows. This year we brought in a Simmental bull. I've tried a few of several breeds over the years and good and bad in all of them. In answering the original comment, I would probably have Beefmasters or some mixed cattle with some ear.

How did you find the blonde meat? I found it was lacking fat and flavour. It wasn't bad by a long shot and if you cooked it right was quite good but i do like a big of fat for flavour.
We thought it was good. Always butchered a young cow in the fall that didn't raise a calf and came off the range fat. There wasn't the marbling you'd find in British animal but tenderness and flavour were good.

Edit: I should also say that as a kid in 4H I won the carcass competition with Blonde steers more than once.

Last edited:
My second favorite is Red Angus. As a stand alone, I'm not blown away, I think there is far too much difference between commercial lines and what the purebred breeders aim for. The ones that are maternal give up too much growth for me, and the ones that have the growth give up way to much phenotype.
I've raised registered RA since '89 and commercials since '79. If you've been disappointed with the purebreds versus commercials I suggest your source of the former is suspect.

Most of the cows I've raised are hereford, angus and a mix of the two. The only other thing I've raised is simmental and Gelbvieh so I'd go with Gelbvieh. From my expirience they milk well, raise killer calves for their size and last a long time.

Simmental & Gelbvieh worked the best here. The best momma's here probably have been the Gelbvieh's. Mainly have got to a purebred simmental herd here now which do nicely and I enjoy but I sure do miss the golden gelbvieh momma's were terrific cows. If I went back to a cow calf commercial operation I'd have a Heterozygous Black Homozygous Polled Black Blaze Face or White Face Simmental Bull covering Golden colored Gelbvieh cows.

I live in oregon and just farm for fun. I have 8 to 10 animals and do AI for breeding
You could upgrade to Bonsmara, the herd in Alberta has adapted well to local conditions, and full performance data is available on all Bonsmara cattle. Dr Gordon Strick, the herd owner can advise on available bloodlines and upgrading procedure.

SIMMENTAL of course! All the traits that pay - milk, growth, marbling, temperament.
The Simmental are the highest marbling Continental breed - Angus is the highest British breed - one of the reasons Angus X Simmental is so popular. Simmental will put the muscling back into the Angus cross and make a premium carcass.
Why try to re-invent the wheel? Go with a breed that has lots of genetics to choose from. Lots of semen bulls available and lots of breeders available. And - you can have all the variety you want.

I'd have to say definitely go with Simmental. Lots of proven genetics to choose from.

I would also have to add Red Angus. I've actually been highly debating breeding some of my registered Herefords to Red Angus next year and make some super baldys.

If not black angus, I would go with Tarentaise or a Tarentaise cross. Real moderate cattle that raise a nice big calf, extremely fertile and hardy. They seem to last forever and never have issues.

I've been a Simmental guy since 1983... but cut my teeth on those original red/yellow white-faced & spotted Simmies; feel like a lot's been lost with the move to black... though I still like them better than Angus.
If color didn't come with an undeserved discount, there'd be a bunch of Braunvieh cows in my pastures.

Latest posts