Howdy old friends

Help Support CattleToday:

jedstivers":2yrrv3b3 said:
Boys gonna be warped fo sho.
I guess we should have given the judge in Russia a Jeff Foxworthy video so she could understand more about where he was headed. :D

skyline":grsqwdx8 said:
Thanks Hillsdown and Chrisy. We are very thankful! Chrisy, I saw things in Russia that this country boy never dreamed of... Catherine's Palace, the Hermitage, artwork by masters,St Isaac's Cathedral, Red Square, Lenin's Tomb, St Basils Cathedral, etc. It was way cool, but I'm glad to be home with my new son. :)

We haven't met, Skyline, but welcome back. I have 2 co-workers, that have each adopted sons from Russia (2 each) in the last 6 years. Delightful kids! Enjoy yours!

Thanks Kathy. Nice to meet you. Yes we are enjoying him very much. Do you know what part of Russia their children came from?

skyline":2uwv8qwr said:
Thanks Kathy. Nice to meet you. Yes we are enjoying him very much. Do you know what part of Russia their children came from?

I know that one set, not biological brothers, came from Khazigtsan (that is totally phonetic). Am not sure about the other two, but they were also not biological brothers. To my knowledge, no one left a brother behind. These boys are now 8 and 10; and 7 and 9. None came over before they were toddlers. Two have used their native first names (Lonia and Sergai) until just recently, but are now exploring using their middle -- American type names (Christopher, and I can't remember the other one) -- as first names with their classmates. The other two are Adan and Elliott.

How old is your new son, Skyline?

. . . I keep editing, because I keep thinking of things . . .

With my friends, I know that they have to submit, at least once a year to Europe, "progress reports" on the boys, that include family photos, family activity photos, what activities the boys participate in, school grades, etc. I don't know if they have to report religious affiliations -- I think one family is very active in their church and the other may be, basically, agnostic. And I don't know how long they have to continue reporting.

skyline":3i52uk10 said:
Lammie":3i52uk10 said:
Howdy Skyline! I was gone for several months myself. Good to hear from you.
Hey Lammie. How you been?

Okay. Same crap with the drought and economy... Same sad story. Like everyone else, I reckon.

Kathie, our son is now 8 years old. We have similar reporting requirements. He came from St Petersburg, Russia.

Lammie":662re431 said:
skyline":662re431 said:
Lammie":662re431 said:
Howdy Skyline! I was gone for several months myself. Good to hear from you.
Hey Lammie. How you been?

Okay. Same crap with the drought and economy... Same sad story. Like everyone else, I reckon.
It's been a rough summer Lammie, but things are looking up in East Texas. The grass has turned green and our burn ban was lifted. As far as the economy goes, I haven't s clue where we are headed. I don't think anyone really does. Hang in there.

skyline":8ployj0u said:
We've been great. Really busy. We adopted an 8 year old boy this past year from Russia to join our 3 biological daughters. That was pretty much a full time project. 3 trips to Russia. There's a place I never thought I'd go.

Otchin karachow, moj druk!

ANAZAZI":3e8shz3v said:
skyline":3e8shz3v said:
We've been great. Really busy. We adopted an 8 year old boy this past year from Russia to join our 3 biological daughters. That was pretty much a full time project. 3 trips to Russia. There's a place I never thought I'd go.

Im gonna need a lifeline here. Druk is friend, right. Otchin is stepfather? Not sure of the other two?

You should have seen us trying to order in restaurants in Russia. :oops:

Welcome back Skyline, and congratulations on your son! It sounds like this kid won the parent lottery!

Yes, ordering food in another country...kind of like point to what you see coming out of the kitchen and hope for the best!

Anazazi, not sure exactly what you said, but neither was Google. Help!

skyline":i8sf8yub said:
ANAZAZI":i8sf8yub said:
skyline":i8sf8yub said:

Im gonna need a lifeline here. Druk is friend, right. Otchin is stepfather? Not sure of the other two?

You should have seen us trying to order in restaurants in Russia. :oops:

I can not spell in russian and know not their own set of letters, I made the pelling up myself as my russian is strictly spoken, and limited.
I said "very good, my friend"
pasjalsta! :tiphat:

Gale Seddon":mia97kde said:
Welcome back Skyline, and congratulations on your son! It sounds like this kid won the parent lottery!

Yes, ordering food in another country...kind of like point to what you see coming out of the kitchen and hope for the best!

Anazazi, not sure exactly what you said, but neither was Google. Help!
Thanks Gale. We were definitely mutually blessed through the process. He's a big bundle of joy for us. Most of the time. ;-)

Regarding the food, it was even worse as I maintain a pretty low sodium diet. Kinda had to just make do the best we could. We found a TGI Fridays in Moscow and thought we had died and gone to heaven. My wife ordered chicken casadilas and she almost cried when they came out. :lol:

Anazazi, I can assure that your Russian is better than mine. Although I did recognize pajalusta as thank you. :)

Just for grins I ran it through google translate from English to Russian and you were dead on. Good job. ochenʹ khoroshiĭ moĭ drug

skyline":do5khx9a said:
Just for grins I ran it through google translate from English to Russian and you were dead on. Good job. ochenʹ khoroshiĭ moĭ drug

Quite different spelling though, than what I tried. Thank you would be spasjeeba and your wellcome is pasjalusta. never mind...

Skyline, this recipe is pretty much traditional, put together with Rhoades frozen rolls. It is a favorite of Adan and Elliott, from the old country; use your left-over beef roast. Pronouncing it is Bee-rock. Flatten and fill triangles or squares of the dough rolls . . . .

We just use "regular" dinner rolls. I wasn't aware they had different sizes but I imagine it doesn't matter too much. The bigger the roll the bigger the bierock. ;-)

As for the recipe, we use roughly equal parts shredded roast beef, onion and cabagge. You can add salt/peper/garlic or whatever suits your taste. First sauté the onion and cabbage a few minutes to take out the crisp, then add the roast beef until it is all warmed through. There may some liquid generated so you'll either want to let that reduce or use a slotted spoon when you scoop out the filling. Too much liquid makes it hard to seal the dough when folding up the corners and it can cause problems when baking.

We usually bake either 8 or 12 to a cookie sheet at whatever temp the rolls are supposed to be baked and pull them out when they are golden brown. My mom likes to leave them in until they are medium brown but we think that's too long. ;-) They are best fresh from the oven but they'll be very hot on the inside, which is another reason my family uses ketchup (or retchup, as the boys call it, if you wish).

Latest posts