Old fashioned remedies

Help Support CattleToday:

Clinch valley had mentioned about using honey to heal wounds.

My mom used to make cough syrup from scratch using codeine, honey, lemon, whiskey, kerosene.

So let's hear your homemade remedies !!
Nowadays, some moms do the same thing without the honey, lemon or kerosene. They just double up on the other 2 ingredients.

I don;t see how kerosene would help with any cold or flu symptoms. She must have added it to make it tastes bad, to keep y'all out of the lemon/honey/whisky brew! :)
Kerosene used to be used for everything... if you stepped on a nail you soaked your foot in it. If you strain muscle you would rub kerosene on it. If you Google it I'm sure you would find lots of things they used to use it for.

Kerosene used to be used for everything... if you stepped on a nail you soaked your foot in it. If you strain muscle you would rub kerosene on it. If you Google it I'm sure you would find lots of things they used to use it for.
Oh, I know they did. But I was saying it had no effect on the medicine. It is not a decongestant, anti histamine, cough suppressant or fever reducer. I am betting it was used to make the concoction taste bad! :)

Oh, I know they did. But I was saying it had no effect on the medicine. It is not a decongestant, anti histamine, cough suppressant or fever reducer. I am betting it was used to make the concoction taste bad! :)
Yes you're probably correct ... I know she had that bottle of codeine !

It probably loosened your bowels up so bad you forgot about the rest.

Here it was Coal Oil which was just as bad as the Kerosene. Looked just the same. Both tasted terrible.

My folks always had some Campho-Phenique around and it was their go to for itches, minor cuts, bruises, etc. I guess it worked because I lived through a lot of itches, minor (some major) cuts, bruises, etc. :)
Pretty sure my first blind date smeared a bit of that stuff behind her ear to make herself more attractive.

I rub castor oil on aching joints or strained muscles, then lay on a heating pad, heating pad helps the oil draw in. Castor oil is said to cure or help many things.

I rub castor oil on aching joints or strained muscles, then lay on a heating pad, heating pad helps the oil draw in. Castor oil is said to cure or help many things.
Granny and granddad did the same thing with mineral spirits and ATF, but they didn't use a heating pad or stand next to the wood stove for a few hours.

My great grandfather ate a tablespoon of Vicks vapor rub every night before bed. He lived for a long time.
My grandmother used to put Vicks on the bottom of her kids feet then put socks on and off to bed when they had a cold. I swear that works!
Mr TC will slather Vicks on his chest and cover it with wax paper under his PJ's when he's sick. He swears it helps. Whatever - but he stinks!

My great grandfather ate a tablespoon of Vicks vapor rub every night before bed. He lived for a long time.
My grandmother used to put Vicks on the bottom of her kids feet then put socks on and off to bed when they had a cold. I swear that works!
My papaw ate Vicks vapor rub too. I put it on my feet and chest when I have a cough then put on some socks, it'll keep you from coughing.