Old fashioned remedies

Help Support CattleToday:

It's a lucky guy that goes out on a 2nd blind date...with the same girl. Most of 'em have friends that tell the gal the truth about what ya look like. (yes, I know what a blind date is)

I remember mercurochrome. It didn't hurt as much as iodine (a tincture thereof according to the bottle) and there was another one called merthiolate that stung nearly as bad as iodine. Haven't seen any of it in a while. Banned maybe?

It's a lucky guy that goes out on a 2nd blind date...with the same girl. Most of 'em have friends that tell the gal the truth about what ya look like. (yes, I know what a blind date is)

I remember mercurochrome. It didn't hurt as much as iodine (a tincture thereof according to the bottle) and there was another one called merthiolate that stung nearly as bad as iodine. Haven't seen any of it in a while. Banned maybe?
I looked it up and real mercurochrome was banned for human use in the US back in 98 because of the potential of it causing Mercury poisoning.

My Granddaddy was firm believer in RoseBud Salve, From what I remember from the 1950's this stuff called Rosebud salve now sure don't smell like the salve he used?? He also smoked Prince Albert in his pipe, and chewed the PA too! tuffoldfart

I think the big thing about mercurochrome was it put colour on the wound, a bit like the purple spray we use on animals. The colour means it must be doing good.

Ken

If you get to it quick enough, pour ammonia on a wasp sting will take most of the pain away…it will still swell a little bit and itch but it will help with the initial sting…and I've been stung by everything in East Texas that has a stinger.

Putting American Beauty Berry leaves under your saddle/horse blanket helps repel mosqitos.

If you get to it quick enough, pour ammonia on a wasp sting will take most of the pain away…it will still swell a little bit and itch but it will help with the initial sting…and I've been stung by everything in East Texas that has a stinger.

Putting American Beauty Berry leaves under your saddle/horse blanket helps repel mosqitos.
Or WD-40 for a sting. Worked for me!

What caused the toenail rot to begin with . I'd strongly look into that.
After hurricane Ivan my son and I was on Grand Cayman. We were doing relief efforts after the island got wiped out. There was no running water or electricity for about 3 months. Not only did I start getting foot rot from walking in dirty water everywhere .....but also got some other kind of infection from drinking bad water.

ZMO oil

Grandpa always kept a bottle handy. Used mostly on Angora goats at sheering time, when they got cut, but also horses and cattle injuries. Humans got a does occasionally too.

My best friend, Mr. TC and I were discussing the show, Dr. Pimple Popper, last night (seriously, it's a thing!). Which segued into Mr. TC telling us about when he was a kid and had a cast on his arm that rubbed a giant boil on inside of his elbow. Nasty & painful! His mom filled a glass Coke bottle with boiling water & put it over the boil. Sure 'nuff, it opened up a couple days later and huge, green core came out. So gross!:sick:

Clinch valley had mentioned about using honey to heal wounds.

My mom used to make cough syrup from scratch using codeine, honey, lemon, whiskey, kerosene.

So let's hear your homemade remedies !!
Codeine, kerosene........no wonder we have so many problems as a species. One of these days we will probably 'self exterminate' ourselves. Until then, I'm trying to enjoy every day.

There is a lot to be said about home remedies, mostly good.

TC, That Reminds me of pulling grubs out of a cow's back with a coke bottle...

(Yes, I've seen the TV show Dr Pimple Popper. Difficult to watch at times, but much like driving by a wreck on the highway. You know it's going to be bad but ya just can't look away.)

Clinch valley had mentioned about using honey to heal wounds.

My mom used to make cough syrup from scratch using codeine, honey, lemon, whiskey, kerosene.

So let's hear your homemade remedies !!
Just about exactly, my mother still says those work well. A friend of hers who was a bad diabetic had a sore on her leg that they tried everything to heal and after putting honey on the sore healed.

I have tried several of these through the years and they worked better than prescription meds.

My best friend, Mr. TC and I were discussing the show, Dr. Pimple Popper, last night (seriously, it's a thing!). Which segued into Mr. TC telling us about when he was a kid and had a cast on his arm that rubbed a giant boil on inside of his elbow. Nasty & painful! His mom filled a glass Coke bottle with boiling water & put it over the boil. Sure 'nuff, it opened up a couple days later and huge, green core came out. So gross!:sick:
I've watched (or tried to) the show.

In the time those remedies were used there were not a lot of alternatives and they were probably better than doing nothing.

Latest posts