Upon 'getting old'

Help Support CattleToday:

Things sure have changed.
When I was a kid growing up in Southern Illinois we loved hanging around the old guys listening to their stories about coon hunting, catfish, and trophy bucks that they killed.
Even though I probably knew most of them stories were stretched as far as you can without breaking them... But they were still great stories nonetheless and we loved hanging around listening to them old dudes!
I learned a lot about trapping from am old guy... invaluable stuff that ain't in no books.
Today you can't hardly get kids attention. They have become thumb monkeys, with skills I can't imagine.

Things haven't changed that much. My Dad accused me of playing with my thumb more than once. He even caught me spanking a monkey. That was embarrassing, for him.

About two nights and you wake up going where did that 15 years go.
Yeah…a few days ago I was reading an obituary while checking out at the grocery. Birth day caught my eye. 1952, a few years older than myself. It went on to say age 71…..that kinda caught me off guard…. I mean, 53 seems like a couple years ago, now I have 70 chasing me down.

We are good at remembering those old folks, and the times we had with them. Those are the experiences that make us what we are now.
I think a part of our problem (collectively) is that we don't realize that we are the stewards of those younger generations memories now.
This is our best hour. It may seem unfair that our last is the best, but this is how we can assure that our progeny survives.

On getting old……Do not draw pity upon yourself. It's not the time to draw. It's the perfect opportunity to give, as much as it can hurt.

It meant a lot to me when my son said he was glad he had a son, so hopefully he could have the same experiences with me that he had with my father.

Although a little younger than some here, 65, I am the oldest in my family. I wish I had paid more attention to some of the things my grandparents told me. I don't remember well now so I can't pass the stories on very well.
On a related note, in the 1960's or even much later would any of us have believed there would be such a thing as a cell phone. Or that I could be sitting here sending a message worldwide with a phone.
What will be invented in the next 50 years that we can't imagine now? I'm definitely waiting for the flying cars like the Jetsons had in the comics.

My father was born on a farm in 1930. They didn't have electricity or running water in the house, and didn't have a car until he was about 14. He lived until 2007. I've often wondered if another generation will see as much change as he did.

My father died when I was 12, so I spent lots of time with my Maternal grandfather who lived next door. In his younger days he hauled cattle for the local sale barn and I rode along whenever I could. Those guys were real cowboys catching cows that had never seen a human from back in the swamps and marshes of Louisiana. In his later years he settled down and managed a feed store. He knew all the farmers and ranchers for 50 miles around and they would call him for help when a vet was not available. He grew up doctoring animals because of the distance to town.
Every Sunday he planned a trip for us. Spring and summer we went fishing. Fall and winter we hunted. He had access to most landowners property be it ponds or woods. We got along just like best friends. He was known as an old grouch in the family and everyone wondered how I managed to get along so well with him. I learned early on he "Was" going to tell you how to do anything he wanted done. Everyone else argued with him until it escalated. I would just say Yes Grandpa, and when he walked away I did it the correct way. When he returned he always told me, "I told you it would work if you followed my instructions. We never had a bad word between us. I really miss that old man. Lost him at 76 and to think I'm older than that now. I have a grandson that is 22 and I spent many hours trying to give him the same experiences. He has turned out to be a fine young man that we are all proud of.

Bumping this thread back up top.

I just had an awakening. I learned that telling an interesting/funny story to my kids ain't so interesting when I've told it before, and also how the memory of the event changes with time.
Not trying to twist it, but my wife reminded me it was Brock and Derek that took Shelly swimming at our senior graduation party, not John and Andy.

She was correct, sort of. It was Brock and Derek that took Amy skinny dipping. My recollection didn't effect the story, but it is always helpful to have my darlin correct me.

I just had an awakening.
Had that a month ago, but in a good way. When I select Facebook from the laptop, it gives the option of selecting either Mr. TC or me and our profile pictures are right next to each other. His is both of us in 2005 and mine is both of us from a few months ago. Maybe I have blinders on, but I don't think we've changed that much.

And yes, I have to remind (as opposed to correct) him when he tells stories "way back when". ;)

My father died when I was 12, so I spent lots of time with my Maternal grandfather who lived next door. In his younger days he hauled cattle for the local sale barn and I rode along whenever I could. Those guys were real cowboys catching cows that had never seen a human from back in the swamps and marshes of Louisiana. In his later years he settled down and managed a feed store. He knew all the farmers and ranchers for 50 miles around and they would call him for help when a vet was not available. He grew up doctoring animals because of the distance to town.
Every Sunday he planned a trip for us. Spring and summer we went fishing. Fall and winter we hunted. He had access to most landowners property be it ponds or woods. We got along just like best friends. He was known as an old grouch in the family and everyone wondered how I managed to get along so well with him. I learned early on he "Was" going to tell you how to do anything he wanted done. Everyone else argued with him until it escalated. I would just say Yes Grandpa, and when he walked away I did it the correct way. When he returned he always told me, "I told you it would work if you followed my instructions. We never had a bad word between us. I really miss that old man. Lost him at 76 and to think I'm older than that now. I have a grandson that is 22 and I spent many hours trying to give him the same experiences. He has turned out to be a fine young man that we are all proud of.
Spent most of my time with my grandfather too, very similarly. We ranched and hunted and fished and everything else together. When nobody else wanted to come work, I worked. When nobody else wanted to go hunting or fishing, I went. I ended up being the one he left land to. People have commented that it's a hell of a thing for a man to pass up three kids and six other grandkids and give it all to one grandson. I reply with the best summary I can give: "Well, I was there"

Spent most of my time with my grandfather too, very similarly. We ranched and hunted and fished and everything else together. When nobody else wanted to come work, I worked. When nobody else wanted to go hunting or fishing, I went. I ended up being the one he left land to. People have commented that it's a hell of a thing for a man to pass up three kids and six other grandkids and give it all to one grandson. I reply with the best summary I can give: "Well, I was there"
Spent most of my time with my grandfather too, very similarly. . I reply with the best summary I can give: "Well, I was there"
And well you should answer that. My grandsons name is on much of my material goods and a good piece of real estate. The others always snubbed their nose at working on the place but he never turned me down when I asked.

And well you should answer that. My grandsons name is on much of my material goods and a good piece of real estate. The others always snubbed their nose at working on the place but he never turned me down when I asked.
I'm proud that you want someone to have it that will use it instead of just selling it.

Latest posts