Old fashioned remedies

Help Support CattleToday:

Grandpa, rest his soul, used Listerine like it was going out of style on this shins for shingles. Dad, rest his soul, used to heat Vicks Vaporub in a steel cup until it started to smoke, then he would put a towel over his head with the smoking Vicks and inhale for clogged lungs

Just whiskey is the only old remedy I remember in my family.
for medicinal purposes only of course.

Tho my snuff dipping grandma did insist on putting some of her brown spittle on every wasp or bee sting anyone got.
Sounds like my great granny Bennett, who died one month shy of 100yo in 1983. She had a spittoon in the summer, and just spit on the pot belly stove in the winter. Usually it was just a smallish spittle that immediately sizzled away. When she got to yappin' and forgot to spit, she'd eventually let loose with one of them quart sized helicopter slugs that would splat, run down the side, and drip onto the old silo lid that the stove sat on.

Granny and granddad did the same thing with mineral spirits and ATF, but they didn't use a heating pad or stand next to the wood stove for a few hours.
I understand that back in the day ATF was made from whale oil, so they may have been on to something.

My wife grew up in east Germany, her grandma would slice an onion and sprinkle suger on it. Drink the juice that it creates. It's an expectorant.

Ear ache, stuff a fresh clove of garlic. It draws out infection.

Camamil tea for congestion.

Then again, she ate Linseed oil for butter substitute.
I have used linseed to oil my stocks. Different world.

My wife grew up in east Germany, her grandma would slice an onion and sprinkle suger on it. Drink the juice that it creates. It's an expectorant.

Ear ache, stuff a fresh clove of garlic. It draws out infection.

Camamil tea for congestion.

Then again, she ate Linseed oil for butter substitute.
I have used linseed to oil my stocks. Different world.
I do the same with an onion except I put honey on it instead of sugar, wait a few days and drink the juice.

Anybody tried honey on wounds? Supposed to heal them quickly. Caution using it in bear country. :) Lotsa other uses as well. An internet search should turn up a lot.

Anybody tried honey on wounds? Supposed to heal them quickly. Caution using it in bear country. :) Lotsa other uses as well. An internet search should turn up a lot.
Urine is supposed to be a good antiseptic too. Just do it in private!

Mr TC's grandma used to make "recipe" for medicinal purposes only. Vile!!!!!!!
When my grandmother passed, I got several of her old cookbooks stuffed with recipes that had been cut out of newspapers, magazines, ect. In the middle of the stack, written on the back of a Church Bulletin, it said, "Good Cold Medicine". Under it was written, mix Rye Whiskey and Rock Candy. She and her friend group must have been talking about it in Church one day.

"Mustard Plasters" were a big thing with my dad's mom back in the 1950s. A sprained ankle was sure to get wrapped up in brown paper bags soaked in mustard and i don't remember what else.
Coal Oil was like a cure all for any type of cut or scrape.
Boils were covered with a piece of salt cured pork lined with the skin of an egg and taped on. I remember this one working very well and the pus and infection would be drawn out by morning.

Yes, I remember skin of egg on boils. It worked!
Eggs contain albumin which will cause the pores of the skin to contract and draw the core of the boil to the surface of the skin where it can be removed more easily. Some of these "home remedies" are founded on real science.

………snip…….Some of these "home remedies" are founded on real science.
Yeah, Dad's home remedy was founded on real science.
If Mom wasn't around, and I needed to doctor a boo-boo, he'd say "cry in one hand, sh!t in the other, an then tell me which one filled up first!"
Then, if I didn't stop crying, he'd give me a reason to cry.

I'll bet most of you remember "monkey blood". I think the brand name was mercurochrome and it was a granny's cure-all for external wounds and deficiencies, like ugliness, and could double as some really cool Halloween makeup.