House Update

Help Support CattleToday:

Sounds like you are coming along great! I love your kitchen. You must be a cookbook collector, too!

Holy cow! Never thought I would say this but running out of room! In the kitchen! :nod: :nod: :lol2:
Yes Williamsv I love cook books. My aunt sent me a copy righted one 1890. Who has ever heard of Beefsteak Pudding! :shock:

Hubby asked me how much more kitchen stuff I had, only 5 more boxes! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
He forgot some of the stuff is both our grandmother's and his mom's too. Sorry cannot throw that stuff out. Too many memories.

Got our office moved up here. Already know where everything will go including our huge county map.

Been hanging curtains and pictures.
Had to get the love seat out of the house! Could not figure out why hubby was coughing so much and why my allergies were going nuts. Turns out when I was cleaning everything I lifted the cushion on it and saw where something had gotten slipped and it was molding.
Barn cats have claimed it.
As soon as we got it out and got the windows open we both felt better.

Have decided to put tile in the kitchen area instead of hardwood. Seems some people have a hard time cleaning up the spills they do on the floor! Now I get to go pick a tile.

We are now seeing how BAD that old house really was! Hubby has been emptying the basement and we have found where the support posts are rotten off at the base. Found several instead of just the one we first found. Have one spot where the floor trusses under the kitchen are not even touching the support! Can close the doors and see where the north foundation has several holes in it. It is collapsing faster then we first thought.
Almost has it all emptied. All the stuff down there is now filling up my new basement. Have to go through everything and make some hard choices.

Had one rubber tote that got left on the floor and water got into it. If I had packed it differently we would have lost the quilt his Mom made plus his grandmother's bed spread. We did lose 2 blankets out of it but everything else is able to be cleaned.

Takes a while to get everything situated. We have been in ours a year now. Mostly everything has come together. Put two rocking chairs for the front porch together last night. Still have a spot in the landscaping for a couple plants and beds need edging and mulch. Want and wish list is mostly taken care of.....I think. :D

Hope you are enjoying yours as much as we are ours.

Got some pictures of the basement before it was all cleaned out.

Basement first entry door

Second door hubby had put posts on each side to hold it up.

Wall had collapsed into the door way and he had to use the backhoe to clean it out.

No support under that beam.

Water coming in because of the failing foundation. The hot water heater is unplugged and the breaker shut off.

Looking towards the north wall of the foundation, that is sunlight coming through.

So glad we are out of that old house!

I really really really HATE wall anchors. Was hanging my new mirrors in the master bathroom and one of the anchors caught and just tore a hole in the dry wall! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Had to do another anchor to the side and my mirror is slightly crooked.

Called the guy about the water filtration system for our house and he has had a run on his stuff in the last couple weeks. So he will have it in 10 days to 2 weeks. Told hubby that when it takes an entire bottle of CLR bathroom cleaner to do his shower alone I was done! Also tired of having to let the faucet run before I get a drink of water to take my medicine.

Was planning on staining the remaining doors but discovered we were out of stain. Going to have to pick some up tomorrow.

Just trying to get the few things left done around here.

Turns out hubby had a half a can of stain. He just told me the wrong room to look for it in! :lol2: :lol2: Still need more.

Getting back to working on the house!

Priced out some steel siding, sofitt, house wrap and fold board insulation. Should be able to afford to get both gable ends done this fall. One less worry.
The flooring is going to have to wait but will see what else we can do this winter.

You never know how great a closet is until you have lived without one then get one again! Main front closet has a closet rail in it and all the coats, bibs, rain gear etc are all hung up! Now we can find everything!
Just need a shelf on top and some other storage bins and that is done!

Decided to do tile in the kitchen after DD spilled pasta sauce on the sub floor. Got the tile picked out and a down payment placed on it. Also got the back splash for the walls picked out and ordered too.

The gable ends are waiting for the steel siding. Maybe after spring planting.

Ordered chinking for the area between the logs, the stuff I have already used is just not doing what it should.

Priced out the cambria quartz counter tops $7500.00!!!! Can get real granite for less.

So much to do so little time!

Did get my closet doors stained and DD knocked over the can of stain and stained my mariners compass. Simple green cleaned it up though.

Latest posts