Another..."last" update.

Help Support CattleToday:

You sure do seem to luck out on finding people to "take care" of things for you.... and the cows... I'd like to have someone around here want me to "take over raising" some calves for them in exchange for the "use" of having and raising some calves for myself on their cows...
Looking for another nurse cow or 2 now since I am getting into this holstein bull calf deal.... but I am not going to pay 1800 for a 800 lb jersey cow ... like the last 2, I have seen advertised. Something will turn up somewhere...
Yep! That $1800 price makes it easier to do. I am sure if you could buy a good milk/nurse cow for $500, I couldn't get anyone to take one to use for free.

You sure do seem to luck out on finding people to "take care" of things for you.... and the cows... I'd like to have someone around here want me to "take over raising" some calves for them in exchange for the "use" of having and raising some calves for myself on their cows...
Looking for another nurse cow or 2 now since I am getting into this holstein bull calf deal.... but I am not going to pay 1800 for a 800 lb jersey cow ... like the last 2, I have seen advertised. Something will turn up somewhere...
If we were closer together, there ain't nobody I'd rather send those cows to.

@farmerjan , another reason I wanted to send them all out to someone else, is because of Zeke. I never wanted to get into the nurse cows raising a lot of calves each year, When Zeke found Gail, all I could see was a Bra x Jers heifer like those @Caustic Burno has, Selling it as a long yearling, open replacement heifer for a couple of grand. But, it became apparent after Gail calved, that that would be hard to do with Zeke. So, plan B is to raise that heifer and let it be part of his own herd. But, with the Gurs-Herf, the two half jersesy and the MSH, hopefully, being at someone else's place, he won't see and get attached to those calves.. When they are weaned and we bring them home, they will go to the kudzu place or the row crop fields, depending on the time of year it is. . Won't ever bring them to the pasture at Mattie's house. and that is if we don't sell them at weaning. If I were not 3 hours away, and Scott in bad health, and Mattie in bad health, or me, for that matter...then I would probably just want to keep all of them there. And keep on buying dang $500 bottle calves! :)

If we didn't want to raise any more off of them til they calve next year, would they not just dry up when the calves are weaned, like the beef cows do?
o sure they will dry up. Just cut the feed completely off!! Might be hard to explain to zeke. But not raising more calves cuts the profit!
And keep on buying dang $500 bottle calves! :)
When you wean and sell em, you'll wish you had more to sell!!

I garrr an tee

Last edited:
If we didn't want to raise any more off of them til they calve next year, would they not just dry up when the calves are weaned, like the beef cows do? That is what I am counting on with Gail.
Yes, they will dry up if the calves are older and bigger... I now usually only raise one set on my nurse cows... leave them to 6-8 months old... easier and they have good growth. By then, the calves are eating alot of grass/hay and the cow's milk will slack off so weaning and letting her go dry is not usually a problem. Especially if she is bred back, nature does just like with the beef cows. If you are feeding them like a dairy cow with lots of feed/protein/etc and pushing them like on a dairy, it will be a little harder to get them to dry up.... but in just grass/pasture they should dry up without too much problem.
With Gail, if you wean off the calves, she could get milked once a day if they wanted milk and that would gradually slow her production also... then just quit milking her so she gets a dry period of at least 2 months.

o sure they will dry up. Just cut the feed completely off!! Might be hard to explain to zeke. But not raising more calves cuts the profit!

When you wean and sell em, you'll wish you had more to sell!!

I garrr an tee
Oh yeah. I do love to sell me some cattle! That is my favorite part of the whole bovine experience! 2nd favorite part is eating them!! :)

Yes, they will dry up if the calves are older and bigger... I now usually only raise one set on my nurse cows... leave them to 6-8 months old... easier and they have good growth. By then, the calves are eating alot of grass/hay and the cow's milk will slack off so weaning and letting her go dry is not usually a problem. Especially if she is bred back, nature does just like with the beef cows. If you are feeding them like a dairy cow with lots of feed/protein/etc and pushing them like on a dairy, it will be a little harder to get them to dry up.... but in just grass/pasture they should dry up without too much problem.
With Gail, if you wean off the calves, she could get milked once a day if they wanted milk and that would gradually slow her production also... then just quit milking her so she gets a dry period of at least 2 months.
I don't think Mattie will be able to milk much longer, or even wants to fool with churning, etc, even if Zeke milks. If all we have to fool with is grafting one other calf on Gail, then that is manageable and doable, even if I have to do it. I got to get Scott to quit feeding her that feed he mixes up. He worries because she ain't as fleshy as Whitey the Milking Shorthorn, but those are damned near beef or dual purpose cows, so they gonna be fatter any way. If the vet gets her this week, Gail will be raising three, so don't want her to get too poor. Her calf and the Br x red holstien heifer were born about a week before Christmas, so they are 2 months old, The Fleckveih x Braunveigh heifer is 2 or 3 weeks older than them, I think.

When we were loading up the G-H cow and her calf on his brother's trailer Saturday, I asked Scott: " Didn't you buy that cow in June?" He said he did. And I said " You got her back from Smith in early July, before I had my eye surgery?" He said : " Yeah, so what are you saying?" I told him that there was no way that calf was a 7 month preemie. If she was bred late June- early July, then she should be calving end of March or April. That red Brahma of Smith's did not breed her....she was bred when he carried her over there.

So, this morning Scott called me, He had gotten hold of the man he bought her from, and asked him if she was with a Brahma bull before Scott bought her. He told Scott no, only bull on the place was a Gyr bull calf he had bought about March last year, as an 8 month old weanling. I thought, when I saw that calf, that it had a lot of ear for a 1/2 Brahma. More like a 3/4 or full Brahma. @Hpacres440p , this bull had to be 9 or 10 months old when he got the GH cow pregnant and bos indicus cattle are usually later maturing than bos taurus, especially the bulls.

Last edited:
I probably should have posted this in the What have you done lately that made you question your intelligence? thread. I reckon I have come full circle. I sold the Plummer cows ,and have bought 108 Corrientes I had sold over the past 2 years or so ( and 2 LHs).

The man that had been buying every black Corr ( and Corr x MFB) cow I'd get in as well as other solid colored ones, called me and wanted to sell out. He has decided to get into the Waygu business. Gonna do their program where they market, add guaranteed money to the calf prices, etc. He offered them to me for 70 cents on the dollar that he paid us for them. $700-$750 for the blacks, $650 for the solid colored tans and reds, and $600 for a handful of spotted ones. About 70+ blacks, about 20 solid other coloreds, and about a dozen spotted ones. He has had them with just one sale-barn "angus" bull, and their calving period will be first of March til end of June. Kinda suited me, because I always said if we got another herd I didn't want them all calving in February anymore. It does no good to have a uniform calf crop and carry 50 steers and 50 heifers to these local sales anyway. But, I used that in my negotiations. Plus, he has no idea if the bull is homo for black., or even pure Angus, so I told him there is a good chance he won't get all black calves out of these cows. I ended up getting them for $420 per head....109 total. He had 2 LHs too, and I told him I didn't want them, but he said he would just bring them over with the others, and I could just have them. I was going to AI them to the white, polled Brahma bull we have been using, and get 2 more Plummer heifers out of them.

Meantime, I also got a call from the boy who is raising smaller bucking bulls for junior rodeo. Or might be high school rodeo.. I don't remember. He wanted to buy the Plummer cows. He is getting some sexed semen from a couple of NFR-qualifying bucking bulls...ABBI registered...enough to AI 5 of those cows. The other 17 he wants to breed to a black MFB he has bought for cowboy poker. Wants to get smaller framed but very athletic bucking bulls from them. I told him they had all just calved, and I would wean them end of July- 1st of August, and he could buy them for what he offered...$3k per head. He said he was wanting to breed in March. I told him I would sell him the pairs for $4500. Told him Clay's boss had already agreed to buy them at 5 and a half to 6 mos old, for $2.20lb for the steers and $2 for the heifers. The ones we sold him when we bought him...same bull as the sire of these new calves... went over 600lb for the heifers and 700 for the steers. So, he could sell them to him at weaning, and he'd have less than $3k per head in them. But, I told him if they were weaned right now, he could get $3 or more per pound for them at today's prices, easy, and end up with even less per head in the cows., if prices held this year,. But,.he didn't have that kind of money. He said " Let me buy them now for $3k, and bring that bull over and put with them now." But, I told him I didn't want that bull in with the Corr cows I just bought. So, here is the deal I worked out ( and this is why I said I should have posted this in the What have you done lately that made you question your intelligence? thread ) :

We rounded up and moved the Plummers and their calves over to the dove field. It is a little over 50 acres, and is fenced off from the 400 acre row crop land we are letting the vet and her husband run calves on. There are bales of millet and peanut hay on the edges that we used as blinds during the shoot, plus the whole thing got over-seeded with wheat ,rye, barley and oats last fall. I had 3 of those 12 Corrs I bought in Alabama with calves, so I moved them over there too. I wouldn't mind getting some 1/2 MFB heifers out of them. Pedro ( not his name,..we just call him that) brought a corral over and set it up, so he can check them for heat, and have a place for the vet to AI them. Once she has 5 checked pregnant, he will bring that bull over and turn him in with them. We aren't having the dove shoot over there any more, and we had already decided to just let it grow up for another quail/rabbit spot, so he can leave them all their til August. He paid me a non-refundable deposit of $6800 (10%), and will pay the balance when the calves are weaned , and has til the end of August to move them. I charged him $3100/head instead of $3k. and threw in both of those LHs and the sexed Brahma semen to breed them. ( have no idea if they are bred now, or when they are due if they are)...$500 for both of them. and the straws.

So, all is well down at the Kudzu place. Lisa and Joe have Whitey and her calves. We now have 121 Corr cows, and no other kind! Just Gail and her calves, and we can handle that easy enough. We gonna be having 121 Corr x Angus calves this year...hopefully mostly black.. and 118 next year by the black Simm and the Brangus x Chi-angus bulls we are getting from Scott's brother. Both of them were born Dec 2022. 3 of the Corrs will have MFB calves. No feeding or vetting or vaccinating or worming anymore. With the calves staggered like they will be, we will just round up and cut the bull calves once a month, then 6 mos later round up the calves again and haul to the sale. 121 black calves a year instead of 22. I bought those Plummer pairs for $27.5k, and sold their calves for a little over $28k, so had nothing in them. Sold them for $68k. Bought those 109 Corrs for $46k. And we will have no inputs with them...like we used to do it. That $22k I made will get me back my money I paid for those 5 dairy cows and the high-priced bottle calves I bought, as well as the 12 Corrs I bought over in Alabama last month! AND....drum roll please... the greatest thing of all! Pedro saw Zeke leading some of his nieces and nephews around on ZUS.. 2 or 3 at a time. He had a fit wanting to buy him for a novelty act...teach him to ride under saddle, etc. Scott asked Zeke if he would be willing to let Pedro have ZUS to star in rodeos, and Zeke kinda agreed, but you could tell he was kinda upset. Then Scott showed him the twenty $100 bills, and told him that I would come get him and take him to Guitar Center in Macon, and he could buy the electric guitar and amp he has been wanting. So that is what I am doing tomorrow! Miss Mattie said she was gonna take a hickory to Scott, and to me if I brought Zeke back with an electric guitar and amp! LOL

Life is good again!

So, I got ole Zeke a Squire Strat and a Behringer 40-watt solid state amp, and a pair of head phones, so he won't drive Mattie crazy. Scott went with us, to make sure I didn't buy this stuff. He insisted and I agreed, to let Zeke spend his money he got from selling the steer. We are hoping he realizes the value of selling these calves instead of making them all pets, and I think he is seeing the light. And he still has some money left over.

Out of the 6 calves we got so far, just gonna keep the 3 Br x dairy cross heifers. Gonna sell the Angus steer, the Milking Shorthorn x Ayshire heifer , and the Fleckveih x Braunveih heifer. Going forward, Zeke won't ever see 4 of the 1/2 Brahma heifers we will get each year til they come home at weaning. The only one he will see as a baby will be Gail's calf, and any we have to graft on her. We will do this 4 times, and once he gets about twenty 1/2 Brahma heifers, gonna sell those nurse cows, except maybe not Gail. We will breed them to whatever black bulls we are using on the Corr herd each year. And these will all be terminal crosses. Of course it will be 2 years before he gets the first calves. Hopefully, those 1/2 dairy 1./2 Brahmas will do alright with just their calf each year, if we don't feed them. @farmerjan , @MurraysMutts, think we will be ok not to try to put other calves on them?

I think not being supplemented with grain or feed, they ought to be okay with just their own calf on them when they freshen. You will just have to watch their udders... but they will adjust their milk somewhat with what the calf drinks, and the hormones will slow down production if it is not being overly "used" or challenged. I often let my 1/2 dairy 1/2 angus heifers run with the beef herd and they are "beef cows" so to speak. Sometimes they will milk the fat off their back... and the calves will get round as a barrel at the expense of the cow's condition... I see no problem with the 1/2 breds just raising their own calf. Just watch the udder so she doesn't get mastitis... if it looks fairly evenly nursed with no swollen/"big" quarters, you will be good to go...
You might want to advertise that milking shorthorn/ayshire cross as a future family cow/nurse cow.... since she is all dairy with the shorthorn adding a little bit of more "beefiness" to her... isn't she at the place where they are going to raise some calves on the cow??? They might know of a prospective buyer...

I think not being supplemented with grain or feed, they ought to be okay with just their own calf on them when they freshen. You will just have to watch their udders... but they will adjust their milk somewhat with what the calf drinks, and the hormones will slow down production if it is not being overly "used" or challenged. I often let my 1/2 dairy 1/2 angus heifers run with the beef herd and they are "beef cows" so to speak. Sometimes they will milk the fat off their back... and the calves will get round as a barrel at the expense of the cow's condition... I see no problem with the 1/2 breds just raising their own calf. Just watch the udder so she doesn't get mastitis... if it looks fairly evenly nursed with no swollen/"big" quarters, you will be good to go...
You might want to advertise that milking shorthorn/ayshire cross as a future family cow/nurse cow.... since she is all dairy with the shorthorn adding a little bit of more "beefiness" to her... isn't she at the place where they are going to raise some calves on the cow??? They might know of a prospective buyer...
No, Whitey is over at Lisa (the vet) and Joe's place. Same deal, they give me back the 1/2 Brahma heifer each year, and then they can put however many they want to on her for the year. She is the vet for the few dairies around there, and for the beef cattle farmers, too. So, she will know when and where there is an orphan or twin, etc, and can get probably all the calves they will need.. and get calves for the lady that is going to calve out the 1/2 Jeresy's each year. Lisa is going to vaccinate, etc, all 4 nurse cows, ( The G-H is going to stay at Scott's brother's place from now on) their calves, even any calves the other lady gets for the two half Jerseys. And AI Whitey, Gail and the other 2 each year. We will pay her, of course, for the meds at least. Whitey has her MSH x Ash heifer and her Angus steer calf on her, and in May -June, we will get the angus steer back. Scott and I have decided we just gonna let her keep the MSH x Ash heifer. That calf ought to make her a good nurse cow as well.

So, Zeke is fine with all the dairy cows and their calves, except Gail, being gone. And he is tickled that his steer, ZUS, is going to be a rodeo side show star. He has 3 litters of our puppies to play with, plus, he has 4 bantams in a coop sitting on quail eggs, and they will hatch soon, and he is excited about that. Got 2 game hens laying in the horse barn, too, and he and Scott put pheasant eggs under them this weekend.

Lisa and Joe came by Saturday, and she checked Gail, and is going to AI her tomorrow. They were going to ride down and check on their calves they have on Scott's row crop fields, and asked Scott and Zeke to ride with them, so they saddled up and went too. On the way back, they all rode across to the Kunze field, and rounded everything up and drove them to the corral. Zeke did a good job with that. They cut out and tagged and banded the February calves.. Joe heeled and Lisa tagged and banded, All Scot had to do was ride cut-back to keep the mommas away, and Zeke would lay across the calves while Lisa worked them. I didn't have to go down there, for once, so I was glad about that.

The man that bought my Plummers is bringing that MFB to put in with them Saturday week. I have 3 of the Corrs that I bought back also in there with them., They were 1/2 MFBs, and there is one 3/4 MFB heifer that is 14 months old this month, and I got her in there too. The heifers they have, we will keep them, and if they have steers I will bring them up here to rope. The man said if the 3/4 MFB has a bull calf, to leave it intact and he would buy it. I told him I would as long as he got it at weaning. We have no desire, or no place, to deal with a Mexican Fighting bull.

Scott said he saw my Brangus bull getting frisky with a couple of the cows already. Even with them calving from Jan to maybe June, he won't be able to handle 115 ( I sold the other one and the UB), so end of March, we are getting 2 more bulls from his brother. I am eager to see how a black Simm bull works out on these cows. I think we will wean a bigger and beefier calf with the black Simm. He is homo for black and polled, so should work just as good as Angus and Brangus bulls do. The "Angus" bull the man I bought the herd back from had maybe enough angus in him to turn him black, but he was not homo for black or polled. Nearly 1/2 of the cows that are not black have had calves the same color they are, and looks like a few may get horns. both black and colored ones. But, I bought them with the profits off the Plummers, and I didn't have to ship them from El Paso either.....just won't make much off this crop as we have in the past.

Lisa has 2 more calves for Whitey to raise now. Her natural calf and the one on her when I bought her are nearly 4 months old now, and she is thinking she may pull them soon. She wants to buy that Ayshire heifer.

Last edited:
Gonna be a long day tomorrow. It will be like Grand Central Station at the Kudzu place. But at the end, we gonna be ( Scott and Me) set up for it to be a whole lot easier on us 2 old men.

Pedro is coming in the morning to pay me for, and load up, those 22 Plummers and their calves. And he is picking his Mexican Fighting bull up, too! I have two 1/2 MB cows and a 3/4 MFB heifer in the dove field with him, but he has only been in there 3 weeks or so. Don't matter if they are not bred, because I am putting my Brangus bull and two more 14-15 mos old Corr heifers in the dove field with those 3. Scott's brother is bringing us 2 bulls tomorrow, a black Simm and a Simm/ChiAngus/Brangus composite he has been developing, and I don't wont those 2 heifers to get bred by one of them, if they aren't already bred to my Brangus. I will put him and those 5 Corrs back in the Kudzu field when those 2 bulls leave end of May.

Gonna move Gail and her calves over there tomorrow too, now that Gail is bred. And at the end of the day, gonna leave Scott's horses there. He is gonna spray for weeds in Gail's pasture and the horse pastures next week, and fertilize it according to the tests, then let them grow a little before we put things back on them. These are sericea lespedeza, alicia, coastal and common bermuda, and Bahiagrass. The horse pasture is 8 acres. Gail's is about 7, and she can get into the 7 acre orchard as well, which is all common bermuda under the trees,

So in the morning gonna round the Kudzu herd up and put them in the corral. Cut out the Brangus and the 2 heifers into the back pen in the corral, and we will rope and tag the March calves, and band any bulls. Then we gonna turn them all out, with the 2 new bulls, and push them to the back. Then, drive the Brangus bull and the 2 heifers down the road to the old dove field with Gail, the other 3 Cors, and the horses. They will be on more than 50 acres of oats, barley, some wheat and rye. And the millet strips are putting back out, too.

The Angus calf that Whitey has will be 6 mos old end of April, and we will turn him out on the Kudzu place, and let him eat that 26% protein Kudzu for a while. We will wean Gail's 3 heifer calves in June, and put them over there, too. The Guernsey- Hereford's Gyr calf will wean in July, The two 1/2 Jersey heifers calved a few weeks ago, so it will be September before they are weaned. Will still have some Kudzu for her to graze til November. The lady raising those 2 said she isn't gonna graft calves on them right now. She is milking them, and using the extra to bottle feed her goats and lambs and llahmas and what-not. We don't care...we just want our two 1/2 Brama heifers off them each year.

Gonna push Joe and Lisa's 200 calves off of the corn field, and onto the two fields that will get planted in peanuts and beans the end of April. Scott will plow those 100 aces under next week, to get ready to plant corn about the 15th.

So, gotta spend all day tomorrow in the saddle, but after this weekend, I won't own a cow except for those 121 Corrs. And the 5 nurse cows, but 4 of them are farmed out to others folks to fool with. I won't have to go down there but once a month at the end of the month to tag and band calves. And starting in July with the January calves, carry a few to the sale once a month. About got this cow business back on auto-pilot, I hope. Still holding out hope of getting to fish a little this year! :) Kinda sad, though. This will be the last time I will take Smoke with me down there. That's getting to be too long a haul for him, too

Last edited:

Latest posts