Another update: Unbelievable what a couple of CT members have done

Help Support CattleToday:

I must admit I switched off reading Warren's installments of his life at one of the earlier installments. Whether they were true or dramatised I did not care, I just did not need to know this on a cattle forum. I did start to read this thread with a questioning mind. I am not a very charitable person myself and will not donate, buy raffle tickets etc as I know too much of the money goes to 3rd parties. I have been known to give a cash donation instead of buying chocolates with a fund raising for a school but that did not go down well, there was no provision for receiving a cash donation. The child selling the chocolates didn't want it as they would not get points for selling the most chocolates. The companies setting up these fundraising drives have it well set up so that no money escapes them. I will always help out my neighbours with good deeds and assistance.
This donation to "Zeke" may have been a similar situation where the donor after doing due dilligence has wanted to do something outside of organised charity as well but without knowing the details it could also be seen as an elaborate hoax to those of us sitting on the outside. One thing I do know is that this discussion does not need to happen on a cattle forum. If I was the donor I would have preferred that any details remain unspoken about and for it to just happen, that is the way I am with any assistance. I like to target where my money goes and for things to be kept quite, just the knowledge of the pleasure and appreciation the recipient would get is enough.

Ken
This is well said. It describes my feelings and thoughts, also.

You and I aren't nearly far apart enough in age for you to be so curmudgeonly.
There is an oilfield joke where a some what clean cut, stick figure guy is at a desk and a rough looking guy with kind of grouchy face, cig, coffee cup, etc is standing across from him. It's meant to look like a job interview. The gist of it is the guy at the desk asks... how many years experience do you have?

The rough guy says... 30 years.

The guy at the desk say... how is that, you are only 26 years old.

The rough guy says... over time! 😄

It's a funny joke but makes a good point that not every one's years of experience are the same.

Quite a few people have been honest that they got red flags from this post. They were honest and gave every one involved a chance to discuss it in the open. I think that is a good thing.

There is an oilfield joke where a some what clean cut, stick figure guy is at a desk and a rough looking guy with kind of grouchy face, cig, coffee cup, etc is standing across from him. It's meant to look like a job interview. The gist of it is the guy at the desk asks... how many years experience do you have?

The rough guy says... 30 years.

The guy at the desk say... how is that, you are only 26 years old.

The rough guy says... over time! 😄

It's a funny joke but makes a good point that not every one's years of experience are the same.

Quite a few people have been honest that they got red flags from this post. They were honest and gave every one involved a chance to discuss it in the open. I think that is a good thing.
I'm at a sluggish start after waking up next to a collection of empties in a hotel room on my third day on the road for work. I know the feeling. Breakfast has so far been sausage and tobacco.

I don't know why there's so much disbelief about this. I have no doubt there are still some good people in the world, and those good people do good things. I try to be one of them, however, I was the recipient once of a good deed. I had been making comments (on another forum) about how bad my hands hurt when I was hand-milking. I was getting really bad arthritis in my thumbs, and it was extremely painful, but what could I do? The cows had to be milked.

A woman I did not know (but who knew me from my posts) asked for my address and said she was sending me something to help. I gave it to her and wondered what little trinket it could be that she thought would make me feel better. Well, the UPS truck showed up a week later with a COMPLETE Surge milker setup, including the pump and all the accessories.

It sold for $1,500.00 at the time. And she didn't know me at all. But she wanted to do something nice, and I guess she thought I was deserving of her gift. I was stunned, and there was no way to properly thank her for it, but she said my happiness and comfort in milking my cows were her thanks. I will be forever grateful to her for that, because I'm still milking cows today. If not for her, I would have had to give it up ten years ago.

Her gift to me was not a scam, and nobody asked for or received donations, she just sent a gift. How is that any different than sending Zeke some money? My benefactor could have sent me the money to buy my own milker, but she just went ahead and did the shopping for me. And she knew me less than this couple who is sending Zeke the money know him. Can't anyone just be amazed that there are still some really nice people in the world? And young ones, at that?

If they had sent Zeke $40.00, or even $400.00, I'm betting nobody would blink an eye over it. So it's the dollar amount. But what is money? To me, $400.00 is a substantial amount (LOL!). To my brother, who is well off, he wouldn't even miss it if it fell out of his pocket. What's the difference? If $4,000.00 is not a big deal to this couple, why does it have to be for YOU? You're not the one giving or receiving this gift.

I just don't understand all this negativity.

I don't know why there's so much disbelief about this. I have no doubt there are still some good people in the world, and those good people do good things. I try to be one of them, however, I was the recipient once of a good deed. I had been making comments (on another forum) about how bad my hands hurt when I was hand-milking. I was getting really bad arthritis in my thumbs, and it was extremely painful, but what could I do? The cows had to be milked.

A woman I did not know (but who knew me from my posts) asked for my address and said she was sending me something to help. I gave it to her and wondered what little trinket it could be that she thought would make me feel better. Well, the UPS truck showed up a week later with a COMPLETE Surge milker setup, including the pump and all the accessories.

It sold for $1,500.00 at the time. And she didn't know me at all. But she wanted to do something nice, and I guess she thought I was deserving of her gift. I was stunned, and there was no way to properly thank her for it, but she said my happiness and comfort in milking my cows were her thanks. I will be forever grateful to her for that, because I'm still milking cows today. If not for her, I would have had to give it up ten years ago.

Her gift to me was not a scam, and nobody asked for or received donations, she just sent a gift. How is that any different than sending Zeke some money? My benefactor could have sent me the money to buy my own milker, but she just went ahead and did the shopping for me. And she knew me less than this couple who is sending Zeke the money know him. Can't anyone just be amazed that there are still some really nice people in the world? And young ones, at that?

If they had sent Zeke $40.00, or even $400.00, I'm betting nobody would blink an eye over it. So it's the dollar amount. But what is money? To me, $400.00 is a substantial amount (LOL!). To my brother, who is well off, he wouldn't even miss it if it fell out of his pocket. What's the difference? If $4,000.00 is not a big deal to this couple, why does it have to be for YOU? You're not the one giving or receiving this gift.

I can't speak to others views but that is not my issue with it. Most all of us on here understand and believe we are in the company of an above average group of people. We are well aware of their generosity, we didn't need a post to tell us.

Here is where I start not understanding: A stray cow and a crossbred calf - "I had posted that we hoped Zeke got a heifer calf, because she would be worth a LOT".

I do not question good intentions. But this has been quite a saga that I have not fully kept up with.

If you notice, the ones doing this are the same ones that do it on most any post, on any subject. They are those kind of people that try to build themselves up, by tearing others down. You almost feel sorry for people who have this outlook on life. Must be a miserable existence. I was just really moved by this random act of kindness, and wanted to sg hare, I never exposed them, and I dang sure have never asked anyone for anything regarding Zeke. Other than advice on fooling with nurse cows. This was indicative of the sorry state of affairs this country is in. A story like this would never make the news, but if it did, people will come out of the woodwork to discredit it. Had I posted that someone had stolen his cow, or embezzeld $4k from Zeke, NO ONE would have said that it wasn't true.

@Lannie that's awesome. I agree there are just some folks who love to help. My favorite is helping KIDS out who have the desire to mess with cattle. But don't necessarily have the dollars.. I sure don't brag about it. Because like you said, a dollar amount to one person is a lot to another and vise versa. But u do get tremendous joy from seeing kids get started. They may or may not choose to go forward in their life with cattle, but if we don't try, there will be no one to take the reigns later!

@Brute 23 I like your post. Except the last part of the last sentence. You and the rest of us all know most folks don't want credit for stuff like this. But occassionally someone does something so extraordinary, ya just gotta want to share!

Here is where I start not understanding: A stray cow and a crossbred calf - "I had posted that we hoped Zeke got a heifer calf, because she would be worth a LOT".

I do not question good intentions. But this has been quite a saga that I have not fully kept up with.
Brahma X jersey heifers, like a lot of 1/2 Brahmas, sell very well. Brahma x dairy steers....not so much. Look at the pics of the ones @Caustic Burno has. They are bred to an Angus bull. He could sell them now, and a hundred more like them for way over $2k. Sell them with that calf on their sided, bred back the same way, I could easily see that 3 n1 package bring $3k or more. So that is why I said we were hoping for a heifer calf. The Hereford-Guernsey cow we bought for him is being bred by the same bull right now. So we have a 50/50 chance of getting a heifer out of her, too. But those 2 Jeresy cross heifers I bought last week, are being AI'ed with sexed Brahma semen, and all 4 will be from now on out. Hopefully. Zeke will end up with four $1500 or more heifers to sell each year, which will all go into his trust account. In addition, we are hoping he can raise 12 bottle calves a year to sell. And someone who HAS read ALL of the updates, who DOES know the whole story of this kid and what happened to him,.. just wanted to help by offering to buy his first calf. That's all there is to it. No Illuminati conspiracy, or PONZI scheme or anything else.

I don't see why some are getting all twitterpated over this. If they don't like it fine, I don't really care, that is on them. Granted this is a cattle forum, but when we are talking with our neighbors do we always just talk shop, no we don't, because there is much more to life than just cattle. What I find interesting about threads like is that it does show character of people, some good, and some not so good. I don't dislike anyone one on here, and would meet for a beer or two before I make my final decision to dislike or like.

I don't see why some are getting all twitterpated over this. If they don't like it fine, I don't really care, that is on them. Granted this is a cattle forum, but when we are talking with our neighbors do we always just talk shop, no we don't, because there is much more to life than just cattle. What I find interesting about threads like is that it does show character of people, some good, and some not so good. I don't dislike anyone one on here, and would meet for a beer or two before I make my final decision to dislike or like.
If you look back at the negative comments a few have made, they everyone start out their first comment with..." Now I haven't read the whole story, but.." Or " I haven't kept up with all the threads on this topic, but..." Then they offer their advice or opinion on something that they admit they know nothing about. It boggles the mind...

On the other side of that token, I question when some one says it's no big deal how up to speed they are on current online issues or what their experiences are with discussing things of this nature, in public.

The "need to share it" tends to lend itself to a lack of experience, in my experience.

I started the "negativity" so I guess I should respond.

I think it's great that there are people in the world that contribute. There are all kinds of ways and we should all be better people. But the fact remains that that there are people that prey on good hearts and I see the OP as an opportunity to remind people that they should be cautious.

But there is also a separate issue with me. I see this kind of thread/post as a way to cultivate a following... and sometimes followers, once acquired, don't think. There is a halo effect being generated for the author if you think the story is completely innocent.

And I don't know the facts from what is written. I can say I have little trust or respect for someone that advocates buying Corrientes and using black bulls on them... and then selling black calves that will never grow or grade as though they are quality animals. I think Corriente crosses are fine if they are sold as Corriente crosses... but hiding them under the mask of a black hide where buyers think they are getting black Angus calves that will grow and finish like European cattle is questionable at best. Making money is great... but I prefer to produce quality and sell quality.

So it bothers me when a story we can't verify is broadcast as though someone is a saint... and yet they advocate for things that I consider scams.

And here I am suggesting that I'm more honest as an example, and yet none of you know me. Unintentionally cultivating a halo effect... but at least I'm pointing it out and at least I'm not obliquely putting it in the minds of good people that they might want to send money to someone they don't really know anything about.

The whole issue has blown up into more than I intended. I don't know @Warren Allison and all I have is what has been written on these threads. Your impressions may be different than mine. I don't think much of someone that makes comments and name calls without including a direct link to the person they are talking about. In fact it rubs me the wrong way that I'm responding this way at all, but feel that I should explain what prompted my initial response. I have no real world reason to think Warren is anything other than what he writes here... and I find a lot of it contradictory and inconsistent.

We live in a world that is increasingly Disneyesque on the one hand... and predatory on the other. I prefer to be aware... but anyone reading this is certainly encouraged to make their own decisions.

I'll admit, as much as I say I don't care what others think. Turns out I do think about it occassionally.

Especially when something bad happens with one of my projects that I would think should've went a different direction. It's funny, the first thing I thought about with Opals death was o Boy. I don't wanna tell everyone I spent all that time and money and effort and feed etc just for her to die.

But at the same time!! I also hope someone, somewhere learned something from it. I had a bit of a disappointment with my shorthorn projects too, when one of them didn't make it. But the project was still worthwhile for the same reasons. I like to share and hope someone gains knowledge from it.

So for what's its worth.....
When I say I don't care what other people think. Perhaps that's a little fib, deep down.

I'll still do as I please anyway... 🤣

Wow. I have no response to that. LOL! (Well, I do, but it would be counterproductive...)
I know. And I shouldn't have responded, but d*mn!! I got lost on the halo thing. Was he talking about me or the couple? I don't see how telling someone they could help if they wanted to, would earn me a halo. Seems like he would have accused me of that when I paid that $3k to Screech's widow for those 2 scrawny Jersey yearlings! LOL

Latest posts