Another..."last" update.

Help Support CattleToday:

There were 4 or 5 in the calf pen. Every week there are some that were at the sale but not on that report, and some that were on the report that I don't remember seeing. They are like Ft Payne....they make their own , not USDA. Or if they do use USDA, they never post that report.
Well, they actually do have the USDA reports on their website. But that one doesn't show any bottle calves on it from yesterday.

Headed down in the morning, We are going to help Lisa and Joe gather up those 200 calves and load the, then carry them over to their place. Gonna move the Brangus bull and the Corr heifers that are in the old dove field, over to the Kudzu place. Once they are off, Scott has a small tractor with a PTO tiller and he is gonna till up and sow some rabbit food plots on it. I am taking an 8 yr old I have finished, down with me. Joe and Lisa want to buy him, so I am gonna take him tomorrow, and let them keep him for 30 days, to make sure he is gonna work out for them. They have 4 yr old filly, that they have started well. She has a hell of a handle on her. She has no spook in her at all. They want me to take her back and start her on some cattle work. I told them I would ride her tomorrow when we gathered their calves. No better way to evaluate one than in a low-pressure situation like this. Just trail after a bunch of very docile calves. A horse doesn't have to have a lot of "cow" in him to do that. She is Doc Bar and Peppy San Badger on top, Highbrow Hickory and Dual Pep on bottom, so there is little doubt she will have good cow sense. She is a little thing 14.2, so she won't be a header or pasture roper, but she ought to be a cutting and working cow horse fool.

I turned down 2 offers to go fishing this weened...something I promised myself I was going to do a lot this year. My cardiologist insisted that I do it! But I enjoy a day like tomorrow will be more than anything. No stress, no hard work or lifting anything heavy.... just working with excellent horses, and excellent horsemen( and woman). Like that Old Milwaukee beer commercial used to say" It just doesn't get any better than this!"

Well, this weekend was a lot of fun. Got there and first thing we did was move Scott's horses back to his place and put them back in their pasture. Then we drove the Brangus bull and the 5 Corr cows (2 with calves) back over to the Kudzu place. I rode that mare they wanted me to take home and start her cow horse training, and Joe rode the horse I have just finished that they want to buy. I took it down there with the intention of leaving it with them for 30 days to try out and make sure he was what they wanted, but when we caried the last load of their calves to their place, Joe told me to wait there a second, and he went in the house and brought me the dead presidents that I was asking for him! :) And as usual, the next day I had a little seller's remorse for a while. Always do when I sell a good one like that.

Anyway, after we moved the bull and cows over, and got the horses out, we opened the gate between the cotton field and the old dove field and gathered those 220 calves out of the last 100 acre field they were in, and drove them to the dove field where the corral is. That little mare they want me to finish, was a pleasure to ride! She seems eager to please..is curious about every new thing you show her. Has a great attitude, and not an ounce of quit in her. Joe and Lisa did a great job starting this filly, I rode her in a bosal, and she responds well to leg and seat cues. Only time I actually used the reins, was to lift them a bit when I asked her to back. Had one of the Corr cows with a calf challenge her a little when we were moving them out and she just got down, pinned her ears back, and backed the cow off and sent her the way we wanted to go, like she was a seasoned cutting horse. But, she has 4 of the greats in the cutting horse world in her pedigree, so this was no surprise. Took her to a CMSA practice yesterday, and it took me 2 laps around the arena, til I could shoot off her like she was an old pro at it. Gonna take her to team roping practice Tuesday, and start teaching her to score and rate. Wen the ole lady gets home today, I am going to get her to drive the 4 wheeler and pull the heeling dummy, and I will get her used to me throwing a rope off of her. I think this one is going to be easy to finish, she is just the type that you don't want to push too early and make a mistake with her. That is the key when you have one as smart as this gal is. Right now she has no fear, no spook, and no hesitancy about her at all.

Looks like we have 40 or more April calves already. I think we gonna just end up with less than 20 left to calve in May. Clay's boss told me he'd give $2.50 a pound for all the black polled steers at weaning, and that is what I an gonna do. Wish now I hadn't told the man he could buy all the heifers for $850. Mike would give me $2.25 a pound for them, too. Maybe the dude will back out, or not want all of them, once the time comes in July to start the weaning. The handful of non-black calves we will end up with, we can just take to the local sale. Won't be any more like that with the next crop, and we will just sell all of them next year to Clay's boss...steers and heifers.

It didn't take an hour to move the horses and the cattle out of the dove field, and herd Joe and Lisa's calves in to it. We spent several hours though, herding them into the arena, then putting about 40 at a time in the alley and loading them on to the trailers, and carrying them to Joe and Lisa's place I used the filly for this, and she was wonderful! We had the last load in the corral waiting on the trailer to get back, when Pedro rolled up to get his corral panels. He brought his Bobcat to load them with. They are made of 3 and 1/2" drill pipe, and are 7'6" tall by 12' long. No way can they be picked up or moved by hand. While he had it there, he loaded Joe's protein tubs and mineral feeders for him on a flat bed trailer. I got home way before dark Saturday.

Right now, I am pretty danged happy. Got the Corr operation including, selling the calves, on auto pilot. And I have a very smart and talented mare to work on this summer. Clay went and picked up those red Charolais bred heifers for himself and my client last week, so as of right now, I have filled all the orders I have. However, Scott was just talking out loud Saturday, and said " Man, what do you think if I don't plant anything next year, and let's just buy about 200 more Corrs to keep on that 400 acres of row crop land?" So I am thinking about it.... Damn it!!

Last edited: