Another update: Unbelievable what a couple of CT members have done

Help Support CattleToday:

I'll admit, as much as I say I don't care what others think. Turns out I do think about it occassionally.

Especially when something bad happens with one of my projects that I would think should've went a different direction. It's funny, the first thing I thought about with Opals death was o Boy. I don't wanna tell everyone I spent all that time and money and effort and feed etc just for her to die.

But at the same time!! I also hope someone, somewhere learned something from it. I had a bit of a disappointment with my shorthorn projects too, when one of them didn't make it. But the project was still worthwhile for the same reasons. I like to share and hope someone gains knowledge from it.

So for what's its worth.....
When I say I don't care what other people think. Perhaps that's a little fib, deep down.

I'll still do as I please anyway... 🤣
Dude, you have some of the most informative posts on here. If you are doing anything at all, then you will have successes and failures, In an interview, Malcom Forbes was asked what ws the key to his success. He said "making good decisions". So she asked " And how do you do that?" He said " Experience" So she asked " How did you gain this experience?" Malcom said " "By making bad decisions". I learn as much or more, from what went wrong and why, than I do from a story about what went right.

I don't know why there's so much disbelief about this. I have no doubt there are still some good people in the world, and those good people do good things. I try to be one of them, however, I was the recipient once of a good deed. I had been making comments (on another forum) about how bad my hands hurt when I was hand-milking. I was getting really bad arthritis in my thumbs, and it was extremely painful, but what could I do? The cows had to be milked.

A woman I did not know (but who knew me from my posts) asked for my address and said she was sending me something to help. I gave it to her and wondered what little trinket it could be that she thought would make me feel better. Well, the UPS truck showed up a week later with a COMPLETE Surge milker setup, including the pump and all the accessories.

It sold for $1,500.00 at the time. And she didn't know me at all. But she wanted to do something nice, and I guess she thought I was deserving of her gift. I was stunned, and there was no way to properly thank her for it, but she said my happiness and comfort in milking my cows were her thanks. I will be forever grateful to her for that, because I'm still milking cows today. If not for her, I would have had to give it up ten years ago.

Her gift to me was not a scam, and nobody asked for or received donations, she just sent a gift. How is that any different than sending Zeke some money? My benefactor could have sent me the money to buy my own milker, but she just went ahead and did the shopping for me. And she knew me less than this couple who is sending Zeke the money know him. Can't anyone just be amazed that there are still some really nice people in the world? And young ones, at that?

If they had sent Zeke $40.00, or even $400.00, I'm betting nobody would blink an eye over it. So it's the dollar amount. But what is money? To me, $400.00 is a substantial amount (LOL!). To my brother, who is well off, he wouldn't even miss it if it fell out of his pocket. What's the difference? If $4,000.00 is not a big deal to this couple, why does it have to be for YOU? You're not the one giving or receiving this gift.

I just don't understand all this negativity.

Exactly. $4000 is just not that much money anymore. What is that 3 cows in todays money. 🤷‍♂️

Screw it, I'd have bought, but my situation is very different.

Yeah, in a heart beat if that were true. Got to consider the source. These type cattle have doubled in price since 2021. I think it was Dave in Oregon that posted some 750 lb steers brought $600. I have never seen roping steers that high. Back in the early 80's, when team roping was growing in leaps and bounds, and steers were the only thing you could import from Mexico (so none raised in the US), I saw steers go for $525.
More and more people are finding out about these Criollo - Angus crosses, and are buying up these cattle at good prices. This past winter, when Warren and Scott decided to get another herd of 100, I hauled about 180 out of El Paso ( not at one time), and people would be waiting at the place when we pulled up with them, wanting to buy some. I think he sold 30 something out of those 1st hundred, and I went back 3 times, getting 25 to 30 at a time, before they ended up with their 100. The first ones we got in January were $250 each, and the last load around April he gave $450 each. When they sold their herd in spring of 2022, they got $950 a pair, and those calves were half Brangus. Those last 14 he sold a few weeks back had MFB calves on their side, bred to black composite bulls, and they sold for $1250 a pair. I don't know if this price jump is a result of more demand, or just overall inflation. Probably a little of both.

Yeah, in a heart beat if that were true. Got to consider the source. These type cattle have doubled in price since 2021. I think it was Dave in Oregon that posted some 750 lb steers brought $600. I have never seen roping steers that high. Back in the early 80's, when team roping was growing in leaps and bounds, and steers were the only thing you could import from Mexico (so none raised in the US), I saw steers go for $525.
More and more people are finding out about these Criollo - Angus crosses, and are buying up these cattle at good prices. This past winter, when Warren and Scott decided to get another herd of 100, I hauled about 180 out of El Paso ( not at one time), and people would be waiting at the place when we pulled up with them, wanting to buy some. I think he sold 30 something out of those 1st hundred, and I went back 3 times, getting 25 to 30 at a time, before they ended up with their 100. The first ones we got in January were $250 each, and the last load around April he gave $450 each. When they sold their herd in spring of 2022, they got $950 a pair, and those calves were half Brangus. Those last 14 he sold a few weeks back had MFB calves on their side, bred to black composite bulls, and they sold for $1250 a pair. I don't know if this price jump is a result of more demand, or just overall inflation. Probably a little of both.
Yeah, that market out of Mexico is probably not something I can tap into or I'd buy a handful just to say I did. They are $700 a pop here.

I thought about yelling, "500!", but the auctioneer was already moving on and I'd already bought what I'd come to buy.
What did you go there for?

Yeah, that market out of Mexico is probably not something I can tap into or I'd buy a handful just to say I did. They are $700 a pop here.
They may be that high now on the border. I guess you heard about Warren's friend and partner getting murdered? They have been trading for 30 years or more. Warren sold him every Chianina and Charbray- Chianina bull he could find,. and often they worked out trades. There are fewer and fewer being bred here now as well. If you had Corr cows, why would you brred to a Corr? Get a heifer that might bring $600 or a steer probably less, when you can breed them to black polled bulls and wean a $1000+ c;alf?

I've seen pairs at 3500
I believe it! Over the 4th I was working for an operation that bred registered Black Simms to registered Chi-Angus. He sold some of these Chi-Ang x Simm heifers with their 1st calf on their side, black Beefmaster calves, bred back the same way, for $3k!! Granted, I have never seen nicer cows in my life, or calves muscled like that at that young age, but still! If they wean a 700 pound steer that brings $2.50, it will take that calf crop plus the one they are carrying, to pay for that cow.

What did you go there for?
A couple of cheap animals to turn into burger this fall. Just something to eat the grass down out back and then process for the freezer.

I bought a Corriente heifer and a steer with a bum hip for $750, both over 500# so a little bigger than I was wanting.

I have never seen roping steers that high. Back in the early 80's, when team roping was growing in leaps and bounds, and steers were the only thing you could import from Mexico (so none raised in the US), I saw steers go for $525.
Depends on the area and the # of arenas in the area I suppose. $500-$600 private sale was pretty normal in south east Texas just a few years ago. They didn't seem to care what breed.

Latest posts