Another..."last" update.

Help Support CattleToday:

Update on Zeke: He may get to come home tomorrow. He still has a low-grade fever, and when that is gone they gonna let him go. They lined up home health care for a nurse to come by every day, and tend to the wounds, bathe him, etc. He is tired of lying on his stomach al l day and night, but Scott got him an IPad so he can play his games. He is more up set abouyt hgis clothes than anything., He had on some jeans, a belt and the boots that the couple who "bought" Gail's calf brought him for Christmas, He is mad they they cut his boots, pants, belt (what was left of them, anyway. the hog had already nearly shedded them) etc, off at the ER. No one has told him that Gail got cut some..no need to really. He did ask me if Conway and Twitty ( That's what he named the Corsos) were ok. He had seen and heard what happened after they got to the hog.

Last edited:
@Warren, there was a reason that your wife didn't/wouldn't take off work, that you didn't plan to go away, and you took the horses up there and all for the little bit of "down time"...
Yes, we had been on the road maybe 30 minutes when I got to thinking about how if I wasn't so determined to not have to deal with frozen water thgis week, we could have just went down there in my Nissan to hunt. If I had not carried the horses, then Scott would not have penned the Corsos because of my mule. Had they been out like they normally are, then this would not have happned to Zeke.

On the other side, the boar could have gone after Zeke if he heard the pigs squealing, the dogs could have gone after the boar, and they could have been torn apart and then the boar going back after Zeke and the cow not able to go after the boar, or gotten torn apart by it, because of the mad frenzy they get into with blood lust...
And you may not have gone down there at that time, and not been able to help to salvage the situation... and had a much worse outcome... I meant it more that if you had not been there at that time, it could have been much worse... you could have been already on the road and gone and then not been able to do anything and it could have been much worse....

How is Zeke doing? Gail doing okay with the calves and all still ?

Sorry, I see where you posted about Zeke... glad things are coming along... and yeah, he is going to hate being on his stomach all the time, but he is going to be thankful for it the first time he rolls over and how sore and hurt the back side is....

On the other side, the boar could have gone after Zeke if he heard the pigs squealing, the dogs could have gone after the boar, and they could have been torn apart and then the boar going back after Zeke and the cow not able to go after the boar, or gotten torn apart by it, because of the mad frenzy they get into with blood lust...
And you may not have gone down there at that time, and not been able to help to salvage the situation... and had a much worse outcome... I meant it more that if you had not been there at that time, it could have been much worse... you could have been already on the road and gone and then not been able to do anything and it could have been much worse....

How is Zeke doing? Gail doing okay with the calves and all still ?
Update on Zeke is 2 posts above. Gail is fine. Probably will end up with a couple of scars. When we put her back in the pasture that night, Whitey's 2 calves went right to work on her. I think they have swapped babies.... Gail and Whitey. And that Fleckveih/Braunveih heifer belongs to both of them, I guess. We decided if the cows ain't worried about whose calves they are nursing, , and the calves ain't worried about who is feeding them, then no sense in me and Scott worrying about it. I was talking with Scott this morning, and we both think we are glad that is this happened in this artic weather. If Gail had got cut up like that in those south GA summers, it would have been a night mare with all the flies and everything.

Last edited:
Nurse cows are like that, they will let other calves nurse, often, not at all concerned who is on them... and as long as the calves are all doing good, growing and all, then let them just do their thing. Once I had calves well established and the cows letting them nurse when they wanted... I would let more than one nurse cow out together and there was lots of "co-mothering" all the time.. If they were happy, calves were happy, I was happy and said have at it...

Glad Gail is doing okay and yeah, probably better that it happened in the cold weather...

I know you were trying to make me feel better. Thanks! :) But, if Zeke was outside, he would have been hanging around with Scott, and whether or not Scott was there, the dogs would have been right with Zeke. What would have happened, is the dogs would probably have caught the hog and held it til Scott got to them. They may have got bit though, like you said. I got to tell ya Ms. Mattie's take on it all. I will send you a PM.

Last edited:
Went down this weekend, and carried some staws of the sexed Brahma semen that Dan gave me. Gonna breed Gail and Whitey next time they come in heat. Hopefully a couple weeks apart. Will use it on the 2 1/2 Jerseys the woman down the road is keeping. We decided it will be too much trouble to take any of them to the red Brahma down the road that Gail's was bred to, with them having calves on them at that time. The Hereford-Guernsey will calve Feb, about the time my Plummers do, and just gonna bred her with the Black Simm bull I am gonna breed the Plummers to. WIll put him in the herd around Easter. I have found 12 open Corr cows that have just weaned calves over in Alabama...5 solid black and 7 solid red/tan. That may be all we fool with this year. Just gonna breed them to the Black Simm too.

Zeke was sitting up! He was in his boxers, because his legs are so chewed up. But, he caan sit on the edgs of his nbed or sofa, on the upper part of his butt, where thewre was no cuts. He is plqaying his guityar all day, and seems content., The owners of the hog had brought him the tusks, and are going to make him a necklace out of them. and he is excited about that! Fed Ex showed up at Scott's house Saturday, with some packages from the couple who came down at Christmas. They had been reading this thread, so they sent him another pair of boots just like they gave him for Christmas, 2 pair of jeans, a belt, and I think a couple of shirts. Zeke is anxious to try the pants and boots on, but it is gonna be a while. His home nurse came by Sunday, and she told me his wounds are healing surprisingly fast, so we all keeping our fingers crossed for him to make a full recovery soon.

Gail is doing just fine. I noticed when the calves were nursing, and one of them butted her belly with the cut on it, she would kinda flinch and stomped her hind leg a couple of times. Other than that. she seems to have come through it all in great shape.

Great quail and rabbit hunting both days.

We are worrried that our beavers may have left. Saw some leaks in the dam, and didn't notice any recent trees that they had cut down. They prefered the poplar, maple, wild cherry and crab appple trees for food, and they have about got them all down. We have a 5-strand barb wire fence around the place, and last time I was there the bottom 3 strands were under water in the beaver's pond, and this weekend you could nearly see the middle strand, nearly a foot drop in the water level. They had built their dam just about excatly where we were gonna dam the creek when the EPA guy stopped us, so it sux if they have left. We are talking about maybe doing repairs on their dam ourselves, if needed! Don't think any EPA guy would be snooping around a beaver pond. :)

Scott told me the Hereford-Guernsey is starting to bag up, as well as some of the Plummers. We had decided last week not to shoot the coveys on the Kudzu place any more this year, and there is only a few weeks of rabbit season left. So, we are gonna move everything back over to the Kudzu place Saturday. Scott isn't able to cowboy like he used to, and I will need at least 2 more horsemen/cowboys if I try to move those Plummers down the road by myself with new calves. We just gonna put a halter on the Guer-Herf, and let Scott's wife lead her off my mule to the Kudzu place, then on over to Scott's place and put her in the pasture with the other 2 milk cows. I will ride drag with Scott's nephew. Right now, we have that steer we are feeding out for Mattie in the corral with Zeke's big ole ugly steer. Gonna carry the one to the butcher Saturday, and turn Zeke's steer out with the cows. If I had my druthers, we'd carry him to the processor's. too. Or, might halter him and lead him over to Mattie's as well. We have fenced in the orchard, and can put Gail, Whitey and the 5 calves in that part til after this Guers- Herf's calf has nursed all the colostrum out.

Things didn't go as planned this weekend. Clay decided to go with me and we got there about 10 AM Saturday morning. We saddled up and rode down to the Kudzu place to help Scott load that steer to carry to the butcher. Scott's wife rode with us to lead that Guern-Herf cow back, while Clay and I drove the Plumer herd up the road to the Kudzu place. Every creek down there was out of its banks, and so was ours. And our beaver dam was gone. We think we know what happened to them... and will tell about that later.

Anyhow, when we got across the road and into the row crop pastures, I was amazed at the boot high GREEN pastures we had. After harvest last fall, Scott's nephew had broad-cast sowed all 450 acres, including the dove fieldm with mostly whet and rye. He was running low when he got to the last 100 acre field, and used some oats and barley to finish it out. All the rain plus the warm spell at the end of week, had made it really take off! 23 head on 450 acres doesn't hurt it at all.

When we found the cows, we counted and there was a Plummer missing. So, we started riding the pastures looking for her. She was in the southern most pasture, that the creek runs through most of it, about 50 years inside the perimeter fence. It was out of its banks on both sides for a good 20 yards or so. We found the cow on a patch of high ground on this side of the creek...about 1/4 acre at most, completely surrounded by water. And, saw saw she had a calf. They were saying it would be Sunday before everything reached full crest,, so I decided to go geth them and take them to high ground. Clay's horse was balking at getting in the water, so he got on my mule and left Tootie with his horse. We planned on tying the calf and putting it across the saddle with Clay, and carrying it to high ground. I rode over on Smoke so the mule would follow good, and to keep the cow off Clay while he was getting the calf, in case she was aggressive. She wasn't bad at all. It was laying down when we got across to it, so we got down to hog tie it. She snorted and circled around us all excited, but never tried to get us. Solid black little bull calf, Well I say little...it was over 100 lbs easy... I could not pick it up high enough to hand it to Clay. So, I got on the mule and he handed it to me. It is a very big-boned bull calf...long bodied like Chianias are. Momma followed us as docile as could be to the next pasture, where we put the calf down. She came and got it, and took off to where the herd was. The water had come over my boots at the deepest part, and I was cold. I called Scott and asked him reckon when they would be plowing this cover grass under to get ready to plant. He said probably end of March. So I told him I was cold and wet, and didn't want to fool with a cattle drive that day! LOL So, we just gonna leave them to calve out there, and move them to the Kudzu in March. Their calves will be 3-4 weeks old by then. We did bring the Herf-Guern with us, and stopped at the Kudzu place to halter ZUS (Pronounced like Zeus, and stands for Zeke's Ugly Steer) and carried him and the cow to the pasture at Matties house. Scott called this morning and said she had a nice, good sized tiger striped heifer this morning when he went to feed. They put her in one half of the pasture with ZUS today, in case the other calves tried to nurse her.

Question for @farmerjan and @MurraysMutts . With this cow being half Hereford, Scott and I are thinking she won't produce as much milk as the 2 dairy cows do. I am sure she can raise 2 at a time, but probably won't have to put 3 on her and milk her like we did Gail. We were thinking that when she gets out of colostrum and into the milk we would just run them all together. 6 calves with 3 momma cows nursing whoever comes to them. We'd rather not have to buy another calf if we can help it. Your thoughts? The youngest of the other calves is 6 weeks old now...the oldest about 10-12 weeks old. Would they potentially keep the new born from getting the milk she needs?

After a couple of days, a week or two, and the calf is well bonded to her, there is no reason to keep her separate. The older calves may not even try to nurse her, or they might all just nurse whomever, whenever. The cow will favor her own calf and the calf will stay with it's own momma more than with the others since it is younger, but I see no reason to worry about it. Once it is a week or more old, it should be able to get after her own momma to get what she needs. Best thing to do is just keep an eye on the calf... If it looks fat and sassy, it is getting enough. I would give it a little time to get to where it is getting around good. If the other calves are getting enough they might not even try to nurse her.
How are the other calves looking? How are the udders on the other 2 cows looking? If they look milked out and flabby all the time, the calves might not be getting all they want... but if the calves are pretty content and the cows look good, the other calves should be getting enough as it is. Just watch that the G/H doesn't get mastitis or a swollen up udder. If they are not getting grain, as a 1/2 dairy, she might not have near as much milk.

Personally I'd get a 2nd calf for her.
Just as Jan says, the others may not nurse the new cow, being as how they've been bonded to the other cows so long. Yeah, one might rob a lil every now and then. But thats normal.

Check all the stuff @farmerjan said above.

With the pastures coming on like you say, I'd sure think they are gonna make enough milk.

O! Edited to add
IF you wanna make a nurse cow outta her, now is the time. If ya don't add a calf, she might not even accept another one next year!

After a couple of days, a week or two, and the calf is well bonded to her, there is no reason to keep her separate. The older calves may not even try to nurse her, or they might all just nurse whomever, whenever. The cow will favor her own calf and the calf will stay with it's own momma more than with the others since it is younger, but I see no reason to worry about it. Once it is a week or more old, it should be able to get after her own momma to get what she needs. Best thing to do is just keep an eye on the calf... If it looks fat and sassy, it is getting enough. I would give it a little time to get to where it is getting around good. If the other calves are getting enough they might not even try to nurse her.
How are the other calves looking? How are the udders on the other 2 cows looking? If they look milked out and flabby all the time, the calves might not be getting all they want... but if the calves are pretty content and the cows look good, the other calves should be getting enough as it is. Just watch that the G/H doesn't get mastitis or a swollen up udder. If they are not getting grain, as a 1/2 dairy, she might not have near as much milk.
Gail and the other cow had been getting about a gallon pail of that feed Scott is milling per day, but haven't since Zeke got hurt. They have free choice Bermuda hay available at all times, and they look about as fat and sassy as a dairy cow can. With 5 calves between them, Mattie and Zeke had already quit milking them before Zeke got hurt, but their bags look ok...not too full or anything.

Scott said that Gail and Whitey have stood at the fence and the GH stands on the other side...gossiping! LOL

The other calves are looking great...growing like weeds. They would probably look a lot fatter if they didn't run it off so much. When they ain't sleeping, they are playing tag constantly. They just quit playing long enough to grab a drink from whichever cow is closest, but Gail and Whitey are always together. I reckon they are nursing both cows about the same. Neither one ever looks like its udder is empty, not do they look swelled up like they need milking.

Vet is coming this week to do whatever they do to get cows in synch, in preparation for AIing them. In horses, we use Regumate, but I dunno what you do with cows. She is going to give them all , cows and calves, some vaccinations, too, but I don't know what.

Personally I'd get a 2nd calf for her.
Just as Jan says, the others may not nurse the new cow, being as how they've been bonded to the other cows so long. Yeah, one might rob a lil every now and then. But thats normal.

Check all the stuff @farmerjan said above.

With the pastures coming on like you say, I'd sure think they are gonna make enough milk.

O! Edited to add
IF you wanna make a nurse cow outta her, now is the time. If ya don't add a calf, she might not even accept another one next year!
They are not on that 450 acres of wheat/rye/oats etc....yet. Scott and I were talking about moving all of them down to it, though, along with ZUS. Except for the GH and her calf. The guy brought those 12 Corr cows Saturday evening, and I just put them on the 450 acres, too. They looked like they needed some groceries. They didn;t go 100 feet off the trailer til they buried their heads in that wheat, and never looked up , They were still eating like crazy when we left.

I would personally put a 2nd calf on her also.... and then they could all figure it out after putting them together, with the newest calves being at least 10 days to 2 weeks old... Agree, that if she is going to be a nurse cow, it needs to be done right from the start.
Scott's brother had one of his Black Simm X Chi-Angus calve out twin heifers last week. They are by a Brangus bull. He told Scott they had given them some colostrum in a bottle to make sure they had enough, and are giving them each a bottle of milk (replacer, I assume), because he isn't sure she will have enough milk to raise them. They weighed 112 and 115 at birth, so big calves. He said we could come get one of them, and raise it for him til weaning. He won't sell it but that's ok...don't want to spend $1k on a calf anyhow. Dunno what we are going to do. One of us may go get it Saturday. It is about 3 hours SE from me, then about that long SW down to our place. Or, a 5-6 hour round trip for Scott. I am leaning toward NOT doing that...just wait and see how she does when we put all 3 cows and all 6 calves together. But, if we DO end up needing another calf, now is the time to do it, before the heifers get much older, I guess. I understand Scot wanting to help his brother out. And he has been good to us...loaning us 5-6 superb bulls every year. So, I told Scott it was his call, and I would go get it if he needed me to. This nurse cow stuff is getting EXPENSIVE, And time consuming.

Well, Scott called while ago. He and Zeke rode down to the 450 acre field today, to check on that new Plummer calf. Scott hadn't seen it yet. 3 more had calved since Saturday. They didn't get close enough to see what sex yet. But they are all solid black, so that's what counts. 4 down....18 to go. We made a bet. I say we will be done by Valentines days, and he says by the end of February.

Latest posts