House Update

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Hubby picked me up 6 bundles of Roxel insulation on Tuesday.
Got it in the master bedroom walls done. Got it in the wall between the office and master bath done. Working my way down the hallway. Just need to get some in the headers above the door ways.
Only have 2 full bundles left and part of another one.

Will get some pics posted later. Heading down the Missouri River again as a chaperone tomorrow so I will be gone for 4 days. Will try to get them taken and posted tonight.

Heading down the Missouri River again as a chaperone tomorrow so I will be gone for 4 days. Will try to get them taken and posted tonight.

Have a great trip and be safe; looking forward to pics . :wave:

I'm home safe!
Was a pretty good trip. Only 3 lazy kids this time and one with a massive attitude problem and chip on her shoulder. Also a faker! I'll tell you all that story another time.

Had a head wind on day one but it wasn't too bad.
Day 2 had a nice tail wind. Yesterday had a really strong tail wind yesterday that was a blast! Figured we were going over 6mph on the river. Had to stop at one point and wait for everyone to catch up with the 3 of us who were up front. Did not even have to paddle just kept us pointing straight and we were flying!!!
Today had a good tail wind too. I was the sweep (the last one in line) and I kept passing this one canoe of boys. Finally got the boy in the back to understand to sit up and where to put his paddle to steer.

Glad to be home. Boy do I stink! Need a shower!

TTYL!

Got my last 3 bundles yesterday.
Going to put them up Sunday and hopefully; fingers crossed; I get almost all of it done that day.

After that is done going to start getting the gable end siding or the gable end soffitts haven't fully decided yet.

Think hubby is going to murder me?

Pella guys are coming out on Wednesday to pull all the doors and re-install them.
Going to cost $1650
Figure it was going to be cheaper in the long run then waiting for him to find the time to fix the doors. Better to get it done while it is dry then wait til after it rains again.

I just haven't told him that they are coming. The Pella guys know too. They are keeping hush about it.

CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!!!!

The Pella guys came out.
No caulking under the door they pulled. Well pretty much expected that, BUT didn't expect what else is wrong with the doors.
They are not plum. So when we lay the flooring in the door ways they won't open.
Even worse it would cost us over $3000 for them to be completely tore out and reframed.
Called our contractor waiting to hear back from him.

The Pella guys are going to fix the basement door though so that one no longers leaks.

ahh.. the joys of building a home.. :bang: Just gotta keep looking for the end of the tunnel....
sounds like you are doing it the right way.. get things fixed, and making sure the contractor does his job. keep up the good work.

Got a hold of our builders who put up the house and put in the doors and windows. They coming back to correct it. Only asking for fuel and material costs.
Suppose to be here tomorrow. They are going to pull the doors and re-do them.

ILH,
I'm not sure I followed what all they told you, but I can guarantee nothing needs to be reframed. We've installed thousands (really!) of doors and windows and the rough openings are seldom square and plumb. You're being taken advantage of by someone here. If the doors were hung out of plumb, it's not that big a project to rehang them. If the walls are out, it just takes some extra time and a few tricks in the trim out phase, but unless you're talking about 8-10 patio doors, there's no way it should cost $3 grand to get someone in there to rehang them. It takes 1-3 hours per opening, depending on the amount of trim that's been completed. Please, get some other bids from carpenters before you make any decisions. Even if you decide to do it yourself, I could walk you through alot of the details.

We were posting a the same time. Glad to here they're going to take care of it. The shouldn't charge you anything in my opinion, but if you're okay with it, I realize some things aren't worth the battle.

CF lets see if I can explain it better.
When you open the door a crack the bottom of the door is an inch from the floor, you open the door fully the bottom is now less then a 1/2 inch from the floor.
There is no way we can put flooring down under that. The door will scrape across it.

Just glad our builders are coming back. They want to see what is going on too.

I luv herfrds":26ruz0vu said:
CF lets see if I can explain it better.
When you open the door a crack the bottom of the door is an inch from the floor, you open the door fully the bottom is now less then a 1/2 inch from the floor.
There is no way we can put flooring down under that. The door will scrape across it.

Just glad our builders are coming back. They want to see what is going on too.
I had a house built turnkey in 2009, so I have a basic understanding of what you are going thru. Since your framers are returning anyway, now is a good time to very carefully look at everything they previously did--before they arrive. I don't know what kind of contract you had with them, but most of the time there is (or should be) an option for you to submit a list of things that need to be corrected and it not be considered a change order.

If you don't already have one, a big framing sq and/or a sheetrock or panel sq are real handy to check work with. You will want to make sure it is the door frame that is out of plumb and not the sub-floor itself, which would indicate foundation being un level.

Thanks greybeard.
The windows which they installed are all perfect. It is just the doors that are off. The Pella guys checked the windows yesterday while they were there.

The Pella guys had a 6 foot level and when they placed it on the exterior and interior trim on all the doors they were off any where from 3/4" off to over 1 1/2" off.

Basement door
IMG_9574_zpsc2302bbe.jpg

East door waiting for repairs
IMG_9585_zps1ac3b0dc.jpg

IMG_9586_zps443cd4a7.jpg

Roxul in the walls
IMG_9575_zps2cd78f60.jpg

IMG_9579_zps857e0148.jpg

IMG_9578_zps18f5e8ff.jpg

IMG_9584_zps166a158a.jpg

IMG_9582_zpsf2bc0c57.jpg

IMG_9581_zps3290f5e0.jpg

The builders fixed all the doors. They open and close much better. Figured when the house settled it dropped the doors inward.
They pulled all of them and ran flashing under them and ran a drip pan out under the doors and over the outside. They re-caulked it too.

Fixed the basement steps my son broke when he dropped a sheet of particle board down the stairs.
They had first bid me $2500 for fuel and material. Not labor or travel time. They only charged us $1900 instead.

Latest posts