Update: This will be the worst opening day EVER in over 30 years! :(

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Last Thursday I had cataract surgery on my left eye. Had to wear a hard plastic patch for 3 days so I couldn't rub it in my sleep. Couldn't drive for 24 hours. Couldn't lift anything over 5 lbs or bend over for a week. It was a week later, this past Thursday, before I could get out in the sun with out wearing welding-lens type dark sunglasses, But, Friday I went for the 1 week check up, and the doc said everything looked perfect. She said she has schedule the OP Surgery ( hospital is beside her office) for Aug 31st. I was glad to- get it scheduled so soon, til I realized that was 2 days before opening day. I told her that I couldn't do it that week., She only does these on Thursdays. she said there were no slots available in Sept ot Oct, and she doesn't do any in Nov or Dec. She said AUG 31st was open because no one wanted to have it a day before the Labor Day weekend. And she pointed pout that I probably wanted to get it done in 2023 before my deductible and out of pocket starts over Jan 1. So, I have no choice but to do it that day.

We have already sold all 250 dove shotting spots at $250, so calling it off is no option we want to consider, if possible. That is $62.5k right there. Plus we have about 40 of the MC that come on Saturday evening for the BBQ and band, and they pay the full price even if the don't shoot so that's another $10k. That plus money that people tip and just flat out donate, we most times end up with $100k or so for the 4H/FFA kids. With Scott's health deteriorating,...about all he can do is run the gate. I have to start the chickens ( actually,. rabbit, squirrel, quail , pheasant duck and turkey) for the stew Friday afternoon, set them off the fire about 11 o'clock. Start deboning about 4 -5AM, then put the pot back on the fire and start cooking the stew. while fixing breakfast for about 300 people to have ready by 5:30AM. Put the meat on the smoker for the BBQ that night. All of this time you are constantly having to stir the stew til supper time that night.; Then you have to start the fish fry about 11 AM, to have it ready for the noon til 2 break on the dove field. The ladies of MS Mattie's church are already planning on taking care of the sides, and the kids always help with the stew, toting firewood...just any general labor needed. My MC brothers had already laid down the law to me, that there will be 2 prospects at my sided 24/7 starting Friday, and that I am to tell them to pick up things, move stuff, stir, tote wood and water, etc.
But we don't have anyone else that knows the recipes and techniques for cooking all of this, in those quantities, at one time, Except Scott, and no way he can he pull the 48 hour marathon that I pull every year cooking all of this.

But, I spent yesterday calling different people to see what they thought about calling it all off. First one I called was the MC prez, and told him what was happening. He said " Hell no, we gonna make this a mandatory club run, from Friday afrernoon til Sunday morning, and the whole club will be there to help. Plus the black MC's prez and VP were coming anyhow." So HogBear is going to reach out to him today. When I told Clay ( @Sthrncwboy ) he said " Only man I know of that can pull off that big a cooking project, and do it right is ME. I will be there Friday and handle all of that plumb through to breakfast Sunday!" Then, Clay called my son, who has been cooking stew with his grandpaw, my ex father in law, for 45 years. Since he was big enough to walk. Now, Shane and Clay will go down Friday, and Shane will cook the stew, while Clay does the other stuff. HogBear and his VP, the other Prez and VP, are gonna handle the dove shoot.... making sure hunting laws are followed,. keeping alcohol off the field, checking licenses and monitoring bag limits, and handling security at the after party. etc. I told Scott all of this today, and he said we ought to take some of the money and pay these guys, and I said that was fine with me. Later on in the conversation, he said " Let's don't do that,. Let's pay them out of our pockets", Which suited me even better, But when I called Clay and HogBear to let them know we were gonna pay them and these people, it hurt their feelings, Made them mad that I even offered! Clay said " Damn you, boss. You think you and Scott are the only big shots that can afford to do something for someone?" HogBear said: "I hate it that you have been out of the MC world so long, that you forgot to not insult brothers that way. I suggest you don't mention paying us ever again around any other patch holders" And, they were right.

I will go down there some next week and weekend, to cut and bale the millet and sorghum, and sow ( broadcast) wheat back on it. We leave the sunflowers standing ( it is legal to do that in GA), and will bush hog the corn the following week Scott is getting his nephew to get up the peanuts, Not exactly sure how they do that to leave most of the peanuts hulled and above ground, but maybe I will get to see it done.

I just hate it that I will miss what could actually be our last one. Last night I had the bright idea to ride down with Clay or my son, or get one of my 3 grandsons to drive my truck down, and I could just sit there in the shade with Scott and not do anything. But my ole lady came unglued when I mentioned it. Called Clay and my son and threatened them with a slow painful death if they did. They kind of insulted me, if you think about it, listening to her over me. I may yet decide the heck with all of them, and drive down myself with my one good eye. Saturday if I am home, would be when I could take the patch off anyhow. Last week after the first operation, I was good about not lifting anything over 5 lbs, but I did bend over a lot when I wasn't supposed to. Doctor said Friday though that it looked fine and I was 100% healed.

Last edited:
I've had both eyes done in the last year. The first one (right) they put the wrong lens in. So I went to a different outfit to get the second one done and I have flecks (like fifty of them) floating around in the left eye. They look like bugs in my peripheral vision when I'm inside, and outside they look like birds or shadows moving.

I'm not impressed. Can't say I'd recommend doing the lenses.

If you've never been to a Southern opening day of dove season shoot , you've missed a happening! Sorry to hear Warren . Better take care of your eyes ! I've been having burning and itching and my eye doc says dry eye or allergies. Trying different drops but nothing seems to help , this is getting old !

The 1980s were the heyday of dove hunting here. My uncle, who farmed tobacco on a big scale, always had a big hunt over tobacco patches freshly sown (heavily) in wheat as a cover crop.
It was a big occasion and a break from the back breaking tobacco housing.
My hill country farm was outside the dove belt and much harder to draw in the numbers of doves that made for a successful hunt.
Today, the urbanization of the countryside makes it difficult to stage the large scale hunts where maybe a dozen shooters would all get their 15 bird limit.
Good comradery all around and I felt honored to be invited.

If you've never been to a Southern opening day of dove season shoot , you've missed a happening! Sorry to hear Warren . Better take care of your eyes ! I've been having burning and itching and my eye doc says dry eye or allergies. Trying different drops but nothing seems to help , this is getting old !
You are so right, Coach. When I was a boy, the town, as it were, that I Lived in had a population of 93, City limits was a 3/4 mile radius, and still is, but the population has swelled to 148. :) Opening day the whole town, those that dove hunted at least, gathered at the Mason's lodge that night and had a dove supper. Fried breasts, mashed taters, slaw and biscuits and gravy. And wash tubs full of tea. While we ate, the ice cream freezers were running, making homemade peach, strawberry, banana, vanilla and chocolate ice cream. Dude who owned a dairy would bring a 10 gallon metal container full of fresh whole milk, about 3 or 4 hours out of the cows, that everyone used to make the ice cream. I have been all over the country and the world, and eaten what was supposed to be the best food of that region, or state or country...often paying 100's of dollars per meal for it, and NOTHING compared to that dove supper! That would be on the last Saturday before Labor day, and Labor day came on Sept 1st back then, no matter what day of the week it was. And on Labor day we all went back to the lodge for the Labior Day fish fry. Everyone brought the fish they had caught and froze all spring and summer. God, I am hungry now! LOL

I cant even name anyone here that dove hunts anymore. So different
I still know quite a few, but it's not what it use to be, we just don't have the numbers we had years back.
I bought a ranch in Coleman county, it's been called the dove hunting capital of Texas, and some years numbers are really good, but I have never hunted it, my son's and friends have and they done pretty good.
I love to dove hunt but just don't go very much anymore.
Every year we would have a big dove dinner, mama would smother them in gravy with mashed potatoes and sides.
Daddy always made us pick the doves and cut them in half and cook them like that, I never breasted a dove in my life.

I've never been to a dove hunt but had cataract surgery on both eyes. He put a near seeing lens in one and a far seeing lense in the other. No more reading glasses or glasses of any kind, they are inside my eyes. Not only that, my old lenses had yellowed. Now I see true colors. I don't remember the post op being a big deal, just had to wear a patch with little holes in it for a day or two.

Funny thing about it, they wanted me to be awake for this. Imagine the needles and the instruments digging around in your eye and fluid running down the side. I know thse things because I'm a nurse.
I said No Way! You are going to have to knock me smoothe out for this. The doc could tell I mean't it.

I've administered this kind of sedation. You have an IV line with two ports for the two meds given. Versed in one port, Demerol (known to nurses as Damnitol) and you slowly inflitrate these into a running IV line, a little of one, a little of the other. So I was lying there on the gurney and the nurse anesthethist came in. She did not have on a standard green surgical cap. She had on a wild and crazy collored paisley cap. SO, you want to knocked smoothe out huh. And laughed, stuck both neededs in the same port and just mashed them. Last thing I remember was my eyes rolling back.

I've had both eyes done in the last year. The first one (right) they put the wrong lens in. So I went to a different outfit to get the second one done and I have flecks (like fifty of them) floating around in the left eye. They look like bugs in my peripheral vision when I'm inside, and outside they look like birds or shadows moving.

I'm not impressed. Can't say I'd recommend doing the lenses.
Sorry to hear you've had trouble with that surgery Travlr, I've heard nothing but good reports on it. I'm booked in to have my left eye done on the 22nd of this month and the right eye on the 30th. My eye surgeon is a pretty cute young lady and she said she is going to take good care of me, sure hope she does. The only don'ts I've had so far is to have zero interaction with animals for a week after, I think this might be a bit of an issue. Sounds like I might get another list of don'ts when I have the surgery.

Ken

I can't even name anyone around here that would pay 250.00 ,to shoot doves..
Until about 30 years ago. most people who hunted doves had their own fields, or their families did. Not many paid private fields back then. The few there were charged $50 to $75. There were always charity fund raising hunts that were more. These days, any private fields around get $200. If they are planted and fertilized, and if they are insured, you wont make a huge profit at $200. And you WILL pay that if you want to hunt , and do not own a field. Charity events like mine, start at $250 and up, and are actually a better deal than the $200 private hunts. We feed you a breakfast buffet that would cost over $20, plus an all - you-can-eat fish-fry lunch , with fries, hush puppies and slaw that would cost $25-$30, and the BBQ and Brunswick stew supper: all-you can eat brisket, ribs, pulled pork, chicken halves and grilled sausages. plus stew, slaw, potato salad, baked beans , fries and bread that is easily a $40 meal IF you can find all of that on a buffet. Coffee tea and soft drinks are included with every meal, and beer with supper that night., Yeah, you can't hardly afford NOT to come to our shoot! :) As a matter of fact, most people also put a lot in the tip buckets, and hand us checks made out to the 4H and FFA programs, so they must think it is a good deal.

I've never been to a dove hunt but had cataract surgery on both eyes. He put a near seeing lens in one and a far seeing lense in the other. No more reading glasses or glasses of any kind, they are inside my eyes. Not only that, my old lenses had yellowed. Now I see true colors. I don't remember the post op being a big deal, just had to wear a patch with little holes in it for a day or two.

Funny thing about it, they wanted me to be awake for this. Imagine the needles and the instruments digging around in your eye and fluid running down the side. I know thse things because I'm a nurse.
I said No Way! You are going to have to knock me smoothe out for this. The doc could tell I mean't it.

I've administered this kind of sedation. You have an IV line with two ports for the two meds given. Versed in one port, Demerol (known to nurses as Damnitol) and you slowly inflitrate these into a running IV line, a little of one, a little of the other. So I was lying there on the gurney and the nurse anesthethist came in. She did not have on a standard green surgical cap. She had on a wild and crazy collored paisley cap. SO, you want to knocked smoothe out huh. And laughed, stuck both neededs in the same port and just mashed them. Last thing I remember was my eyes rolling back.
They usually just almost put you to sleep to do cataract surgery, kinda like a heart cath. That;s what they did to me last week. Your eye is numbed and with the light shining in them, you cant see the scapel. You are awake enough for her to ask youi questions, or you ask her. How ever, she gave me a release to carry to my cardiologist for him to sign off on using general anesthesia. She siad I wiggled and kicked my leg, etc, so bad she was about to call it off,, her with a razor blade cutting behind the iris. She said there was no way she;d tyry it again wityhoiut putting me to sleep. Th ewhole procedure lasted 12 and half minutes last week, She the next one I will be totally under for only about 2 minutes.

Have never seen a rat killing.
When you have chicken houses, you get all of your buddies to bring their shotguns and come over on the night the chicken catchers come. When they have caught the last ones, you get everyone in position, and kill the lights. You stand there quiet and listen for the rats to come out and start eating the dead chickens. When it sounds like there are bunch out there, you flip the lights on and blast away til they have all crawled back in their holes. Then you cut the lights off again and stay quite, and pretty soon you will hear the rats out there again, eating dead chickens and now, dead and dying rats. Flip on the lights and blast away again. You repeat this a few times, til they eventually quit coming out, but by then the chicken catchers have the next house caught out. So you move to it and do it all again. All night long til the last house has been shot out.

When you have chicken houses, you get all of your buddies to bring their shotguns and come over on the night the chicken catchers come. When they have caught the last ones, you get everyone in position, and kill the lights. You stand there quiet and listen for the rats to come out and start eating the dead chickens. When it sounds like there are bunch out there, you flip the lights on and blast away til they have all crawled back in their holes. Then you cut the lights off again and stay quite, and pretty soon you will hear the rats out there again, eating dead chickens and now, dead and dying rats. Flip on the lights and blast away again. You repeat this a few times, til they eventually quit coming out, but by then the chicken catchers have the next house caught out. So you move to it and do it all again. All night long til the last house has been shot out.
That's a good time!!

We used to keep 50 gallon drums to burn trash in at the old shooting range.
There was always one poor guy had to tip the barrel. Next barrel a different guy tipped.. When the rats went a running the six shooters when to throwing flames!

Good times!
Good times!

I cant even name anyone here that dove hunts anymore. So different
We had a lawyer in our area that had an annual shoot on Opening Day. It was a who's who of judges, Insurance Adjusters, (back when they were local and not centralized 1000's of miles away), political figures, and select lawyers. Most did not even shoot, but all of the courts were shut down on that day. Even the state Wildlife Resources officers were there (until one year when the TWRA charged him with "Baiting"). It was still some of the best food I ever had.

I have a neighbor that row crops. It sounds like the 4th of July here on Sept.1st.

Latest posts