My rant for the day

Help Support CattleToday:

I think Travlr is right it is either 12mm or 3/8" depending on how it fits, ie. either slotted or square.

https://www.amazon.com/Steelman-Ret...d-Vehicles/dp/B00FABVHWY?tag=cattletoday00-20
$90? I think not.
The piece of 1/2" od square tubing was $7 and I thought that was high. The problem with it is that it slips if i don't hold it firmly pushed in, which makes me think it isn't going fully up onto the square male stud on the winch apparatus. But it could also mean the id of my tubing is just too large. Since I cannot see up in there with the tube inserted, I really have no idea how far up on the male stud it's going. IF the wall thickness of my 1/2" tubing is 1/16" each side, that means the ID is close to .375 (3/8"). I need to drag out my old calipers and get a good measurement of the id of the tubing and go from there.

The removal tools are not all the same, even within the Ford line. That winch down thing has changed over the years as different vehicle makers have tried to foil those that were stealing spare tires. (Is there really that much of a black market for spare tires?) and, it's different from F-150 to F-250 & up. Ford has also used a little adapter thing that had a square female opening on one end that goes over that stud and a flower petal looking inset on the other, kind of like the tool used to remove locking lug nuts.

I went out in the future vineyard yesterday, day 6. The grass I had sprayed is starting to turn yellow. Now that I know it works I will spray some more today because its going to start a rainy period tomorrow. This was plain old Roundup Custom, which means is can be also be sprayed near waterways. Heck, it rains so much here the whole place is a waterway.

I have an ice cream machine and soon a fresh cow.

$90? I think not.
The piece of 1/2" od square tubing was $7 and I thought that was high. The problem with it is that it slips if i don't hold it firmly pushed in, which makes me think it isn't going fully up onto the square male stud on the winch apparatus. But it could also mean the id of my tubing is just too large. Since I cannot see up in there with the tube inserted, I really have no idea how far up on the male stud it's going. IF the wall thickness of my 1/2" tubing is 1/16" each side, that means the ID is close to .375 (3/8"). I need to drag out my old calipers and get a good measurement of the id of the tubing and go from there.

The removal tools are not all the same, even within the Ford line. That winch down thing has changed over the years as different vehicle makers have tried to foil those that were stealing spare tires. (Is there really that much of a black market for spare tires?) and, it's different from F-150 to F-250 & up. Ford has also used a little adapter thing that had a square female opening on one end that goes over that stud and a flower petal looking inset on the other, kind of like the tool used to remove locking lug nuts.
It was not meant to tell you to buy, but to show you the size.

What kind of grass?
there's lots better stuff than roundup.
Hit the weeds hard with 2,4d and quinclorac.
I can't tell you to use above coverage or mix rate specified on the container but putting excess 2,d with dicamba on bermuda will kill it. The quinclorac kills dallis and crabgrass.
Pick a sunny day with the temp above 50 degreesF.
If you spray with 24d or dicamba you won't have any surviving grape plants

100_2318.JPG

Some of my babies. Different color flags to tell apart the 7 varieties of Muscats. I sure would not want to kill them with herbicide. I think with Roundup you are just supposed to wait a while. They haven't been planted yet.

Last edited:
I went out in the future vineyard yesterday, day 6. The grass I had sprayed is starting to turn yellow. Now that I know it works I will spray some more today because its going to start a rainy period tomorrow. This was plain old Roundup Custom, which means is can be also be sprayed near waterways. Heck, it rains so much here the whole place is a waterway.

I have an ice cream machine and soon a fresh cow.
I tried the vineyard here. Had the cordon arms all grown out, and the next winter they all froze. I'm thinking of pulling then all out and putting in something else, just not sure what yet. Maybe elderberry or wild huckleberry

It was not meant to tell you to buy, but to show you the size.
It didn't tell anything that isn't already known.

• Variety - includes flat, pin, standard and slotted square, 12mm square, 3/8in square, and hex heads"

There's a lot of difference between 12mm and 3/8".

12mm=.472".
3/8=.375

11mm=.433 which is the same as 7/16"
10m=.393, just over 3/8"
9mm=just under 3/8"=.354"

There's a huge difference when talking about the correct size for a hex bolt head and a square head. A 13mm metric socket might grab ok on a 1/2" hex bolt head but would not grab on square head due to the absence of the 2 extra 'points.' It's why/what they make and sell those odd looking 8 point sockets for... square head bolts and nuts, usually for sq head lag bolts..

(the od of those sockets is too large to fit down thru the guide tube behind my bumper)

8pt.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 42641

Some of my babies. Different color flags to tell apart the 7 varieties of Muscats. I sure would not want to kill them with herbicide. I think with Roundup you are just supposed to wait a while. They haven't been planted yet.
My wife was giving her plants a dose of rabbit poop tea with the pump-up sprayer. She forgot her last spray mix was Killz-All for "pokey plants", and didn't rinse it well. This is a picture of what her work looked like before they wilted.

My wife was giving her plants a dose of rabbit poop tea with the pump-up sprayer. She forgot her last spray mix was Killz-All for "pokey plants", and didn't rinse it well. This is a picture of what her work looked like before they wilted.
That's why I have 3 different sprayers. One for round up or remedy, one for yard weeds, one for insecticide.

How cold does winter get in Wyoming? Wasn't there a Jimmy Steward movie named The Rare Breed? The prize Hereford bull named Vindicator dies in the winter but white face calves are found the following spring.
It can get very cold during the winter. The record coldest was recorded in Yellowstone in 1933 at -66F. Dad talks about riding the Red Desert in January and it never got much above -40F. He broke ice cycles off his horse that were 12" long. Not one cowboy quit because of the cold, oh they complained about it.

My uncle at the ranch west of Rawlins has a greenhouse that he raises corn because sometimes in the summer they can get a killing frost. The ranch is about 7000 ft above sea level.

The coldest winter I can remember was 22-23, we had several days here on the farm that went below -40. That winter was very hard on calves; I lost several just because of the extended bad weather. I still had 6" of snow on my alfalfa field in the middle of April. Usually it is all gone by March.

Temperature inversions in the mountain valleys usually are the cause of bitter cold. The cold usually has to come from Canada and then it just sits down in the valleys with no wind to move it out. Each day as the sun goes down the coldest air rolls down off the mountains and sinks into the valleys. Big Piney, Lander and Riverton, Worland, Jackson Hole can get pretty cold. West Yellowstone, MT has frequently been a cold spot. With inversions, it can be -30*F in the valley and +30*F in one of the mountain passes. I live in a valley on the high plains and we get some of the same cold snaps that hit eastern Montana and South Dakota. The wind is what can make things miserable here more than the cold. 10 below and a 20-30 mph wind is hard on stuff. Winter 22-23 was miserable. This year, other than the -27*F period in January, has been like living in the banana belt.

@Ouachita ; Beautiful greenhouse and plants. I assume she raises them and sells seedlings in the spring? I feel so bad that she inadvertently killed all her plants. One reason I do not use chemical sprays.... I would come unglued if I accidentally killed them. It was bad enough when I used some mulch hay, from an old roll of hay, from a field that had been sprayed and killed all my cucumbers and squash and the plants in that end of the garden....

Latest posts