Experience from years ago.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
My father passed away from emphysema 30 years ago. I was 18 at the time and had graduated high school at the time.
I had saved some money before I started high school to buy some heifers for my FFA project. I had a chance to get some registered Charolais heifers and my parents helped me go ahead and get the group of seven. I worked in the farm and helped take my grandmothers places they needed to go.
Over the next few years, I was able to add some more to my herd, from selling calves.
My father had been declining in health for several years, and hadn't been able to do any farm work for a while. A hired hand and me had been doing the farm work.
Just a few days after my father had passed, the two legged buzzards started circling, to try to take advantage of the situation.
A couple locals came by to try to buy our new tractor at the time. A dealer tried to talk my mother into trading it for a smaller open station 2wd.
One night I got a call from a man that didn't identify himself but I figured I knew of him. He got right to the point of telling me that wasn't going to be able to take care of those cows and he was going to buy them. I told him that the cows belonged to me and were not for sale. He argued with me about that, and was extremely persistent and determined to talk me out of my cows.
I had enough and talked pretty tough which he s something I didn't like doing hoping he would give up.
It got his attention and changed his strategy. He proceeded to tell me again that I couldn't take care of cattle, and that my cattle weren't any good to start with and he would just be doing me a favor buy them.
At that point I'd really had enough and told him if those cows ain't that good your sure trying awful hard to get them and I hung up the phone.
I've often thought about that over the years. It's pretty low down when people try to take advantage of and make money off of people especially after a tragic event like a death in the family.

Some people, even some who are well respected, can justify just about anything, if money is involved.
When I was about the same age, I was determined to buy a farm but had no experience whatsoever. No machinery, no cattle and no family help except my Dad who knew less than I did. We did have a good name and ability to get credit.
I bought a rough 80 acres just outside town and 18 registered Angus, the old belt-buckle kind.
A realtor of some personal wealth, some good qualities, and a good reputation among a certain element in town, began to call me and offer large farms for sale that he said were just what I needed.
If I had listened to him I have no doubt I would have gone bankrupt. With no background or experience I think I would have failed for interest rates nearly doubled soon afterwards. Back then everything was financed on a yearly note without a locked in interest rate.
I toughed it out on the hillside farm and came out all right. I never respected that realtor again.

Last edited:
Weird how some things just stick with ya huh @Ky hills

I've had some experiences as well, tho I can't recall them at the moment. Sometimes when stuff happens, it brings back memories like that.
Yeah it does, I think reading the thread about the calf with the injured leg and subsequently thinking about and posting my own experience with one from around that time back then kind of brought that back up.

I found a calf hanging by a back leg in a tree once. He was not a little one, either. Probably 250/300, and I must have found him soon after he got there because he was still alive. Opposable thumbs come in handy getting a calf out of a tree. Calf never walked quite right, but wasn't terrible. Still got good money from him.

I found a calf hanging by a back leg in a tree once. He was not a little one, either. Probably 250/300, and I must have found him soon after he got there because he was still alive. Opposable thumbs come in handy getting a calf out of a tree. Calf never walked quite right, but wasn't terrible. Still got good money from him.
I think we'd all like to hear a little more about how a calf got up a tree to begin with. Bigfoot comes to mind first, but I could be wrong.

Along the same line after my dad died I took care of my mom . Brother and sister live in other states. Storm came through and blew a tree down mostly on the neighbors property. Just so happens the neighbors are a popular group of men belonging to a fairly secretive organization. It wasn't 30 minutes after they were calling and knocking on my mom's door wanting to know when she was going to get that tree up . I was at school so it was after 3 before I could get there to access the situation . My mom was in tears worried about all those people. Of course none of them showed up to help except one younger man who was good enough to help me cut it up . He even took the wood , since it was oak . Didn't really know any of the ones who harassed her but still have bad feelings for that group . Sorry if any of you belong . I know none of you would do a widow like that .

My father passed away from emphysema 30 years ago. I was 18 at the time and had graduated high school at the time.
I had saved some money before I started high school to buy some heifers for my FFA project. I had a chance to get some registered Charolais heifers and my parents helped me go ahead and get the group of seven. I worked in the farm and helped take my grandmothers places they needed to go.
Over the next few years, I was able to add some more to my herd, from selling calves.
My father had been declining in health for several years, and hadn't been able to do any farm work for a while. A hired hand and me had been doing the farm work.
Just a few days after my father had passed, the two legged buzzards started circling, to try to take advantage of the situation.
A couple locals came by to try to buy our new tractor at the time. A dealer tried to talk my mother into trading it for a smaller open station 2wd.
One night I got a call from a man that didn't identify himself but I figured I knew of him. He got right to the point of telling me that wasn't going to be able to take care of those cows and he was going to buy them. I told him that the cows belonged to me and were not for sale. He argued with me about that, and was extremely persistent and determined to talk me out of my cows.
I had enough and talked pretty tough which he s something I didn't like doing hoping he would give up.
It got his attention and changed his strategy. He proceeded to tell me again that I couldn't take care of cattle, and that my cattle weren't any good to start with and he would just be doing me a favor buy them.
At that point I'd really had enough and told him if those cows ain't that good your sure trying awful hard to get them and I hung up the phone.
I've often thought about that over the years. It's pretty low down when people try to take advantage of and make money off of people especially after a tragic event like a death in the family.
Man will break everyone of the Ten Commandments over a woman, dollar bill and a land deed.

Yall have to keep in mind, that for some folks, $$$ is the only measure of wealth, success, and worth they have. Their whole world is all about them.
Scrooge/banker Mr. Potter comes in all forms, sometimes their head sittin under a cowboy hat.
I couldn't get the bold face to work, but I agree with the whole world is about them comment.

Last edited:
As bad as I'd like to, I just can't bring myself to try to do that even if 30 days after the funeral. I feel like it's always going to be a gut punch.

I'd rather do without than hurt someone's feelings like that. I don't have it in me.

If it's meant to be they will come to me. The three little spots I rent currently worked out that way.

I think we'd all like to hear a little more about how a calf got up a tree to begin with. Bigfoot comes to mind first, but I could be wrong.
The tree was in a steep sided wash, and the only thing I can think of is that the calf either got pushed, tossed, or somehow leaped into the wash and got tangled in the tree on his way down.

My mom was pregnant with me when my dad died in a boating accident. she managed to raise my 5 older sisters and me as a single mom. paid off the 230 acre farm that I now own and made a lot of sacrifices along the way. I often heard about several businesses that helped her after my dad's passing. I also heard stories about people that were not as helpful. One story in particular was about a pet Holstein heifer that was somewhat a house pet that disappeared on the day of my dad's funeral. My mom was convinced that the next door neighbor stole it because he was very upset the previous owner of the farm refused to sell it to him even though he offered them more money to buy. your post brought back a lot of memories so thanks for posting.

Man will break everyone of the Ten Commandments over a woman, dollar bill and a land deed.
I bought a piece of ground from a widow that was in a rest home, and paid her asking price. But she had an adjoining piece of property and I didn't have the money for both, and I wanted to buy it. So part of my deal was that I got right of first refusal and an option at the stated asking price on the other property. Two years later I sold the first piece for an inflated price, a LOT MORE than what I'd paid for it. I could have bought the second piece for a lot less per my contracted agreement... but instead I sent the lady a card and told her that her property was worth a lot more than it had been two years ago, and I wouldn't be exercising my option.

I gotta say, I have mixed feelings about it. I could have made a lot of money on that deal... but just didn't feel right taking advantage.

Reminds me of a lady we helped out after the 2015 fire up in the Okanogan. We were rebuilding burnt down fences. Her husband was in a wheel chair from a broken neck. Two young teenage kids. And running 100 cows on several thousand acres by herself probably 30 miles from town. The stories she told about her neighbor. To sum it up she said he prayed in church every Sunday and preyed on his neighbors the rest of the week. To give you an idea of his about him. The local feed store/livestock supply told him that they didn't need his business.

This also reminds me how blessed we are to live where we do. There have been several ranchers pass away over the last couple years. The only things offered have been, "how can I help."

I've missed out on a lot of deals and some that wouldn't have been a deal but something I would've liked to had over the years because I find it disrespectful to start asking about their loved ones belongings at a time of grief. There's been times I've regretted not asking but I'm just not wired that way.

Latest posts