are you old enough to remember 60 years ago today the Cuban missile crises began

Help Support CattleToday:

I remember it reasonably well but the gravity of the situation was not as apparent here though we did have some US radar and communications stations especially in the north that would possibly a target.

Ken

Years later they still issued Civil Defense cards, have mine somewhere. This thread had me trying to remember when CD became defunct.
Thinking early eighties.

I remember.
I also remember our principal coming into our classrooms and warning us of the dangers of communism.
That hasn't happened for a very long time. Sad to say.
I came along after that, in 1975, but I can remember as young child in a Catholic elementary school during the early 80's the nuns would often talk about how bad communism was.

The Office of Civil Defense (OCD) was an agency of the United States Department of Defense from 1961–64. It replaced the Office of Civil and Defense Mobilization. The organization was renamed the Defense Civil Preparedness Agency on May 5, 1972, and was abolished on July 20, 1979, pursuant to Executive Order 12148. Its duties were given to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

My father flew off carriers in the Korean war and fought the Chinese communist pilots mano a mano. That was before they had all the technology and fired their own guns and dropped their own bombs. I was a kid under a desk at school I rememeber that. Even today and especially these days I keep the panty stocked to the ceiling and we are preppers.

My father flew off carriers in the Korean war and fought the Chinese communist pilots mano a mano. That was before they had all the technology and fired their own guns and dropped their own bombs. I was a kid under a desk at school I rememeber that. Even today and especially these days I keep the panty stocked to the ceiling and we are preppers.

That's a lot of panties.

Interesting bit of history. My parents said nothing about the event, I guess there was not much fear of a strike outside major population and military centers.

It wasn't until fairly recently that I learned that the crisis was started when Americans placed nukes in Turkey. I also recently discovered that at the time the Soviets had few missiles - they built up their stockpile later. https://www.statista.com/chart/16305/stockpiled-nuclear-warhead-count/

Latest posts