A question about a meat buying 'club' from the past..

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Years ago, (a few decades maybe, well before the internet) there was some kind of meat buying 'club' where they gave you a little freezer and sent you a supply of meat (mostly or all beef) for a fee. They advertised in the back of some magazines and on radio. The prices were pretty outrageous for what you got.
Anyone familiar with it or remember the name of it?

Omaha Steaks is the only big mail order one I know of. They are definitely overpriced for what you get. Was the meat as good as what they sell out of the freezers in the back of vans and pickups they peddle from door to door here? They were set up in front the feed store the other day 20 ribeyes for $24.99, must of been Waygu for that price!😂

Omaha Steaks is the only big mail order one I know of. They are definitely overpriced for what you get. Was the meat as good as what they sell out of the freezers in the back of vans and pickups they peddle from door to door here? They were set up in front the feed store the other day 20 ribeyes for $24.99, must of been Waygu for that price!😂
I think is Waygru, a new breed that that is tough as shoe leather and only comes in 1/4" steaks.

Without regard to product or quality the question becomes, Did you have to pay for the product before consuming it and were
you aware of the price before the transaction? Were you, at anytime during the transaction, coerced , threatened or intimidated
into participating in the transaction? While the price quoted by SmokinM is "20 ribeyes for $ 24.95" which comes to about a Buck
and a quarter each I would venture he meant each which is indeed a lot for the product.
Now as to the quality of the meat I will not comment although I have eaten Omaha Steak that were par excellent and I confessed
paid for by someone else. The Bidenesk comment by Stanley can be relegated to the trash heap of history along with other
works of his ilk.

There is a local guy who sells beef for 3.00lb live weight!

He pays processing but you'd still be looking at 4K for 420lbs of meat.

😄
I don't know. I didn't participate but someone asked me about it the other day and I was wondering if anyone here remembered it.
Someone did send me some Omaha steaks for Christmas one year. They were good but not any better than a good eye can pick out at a good butcher shop.

A guy came by my place back in East Texas one day, in a van and said he had some steaks left over from an order....... I passed on the little tiny steaks just like had drove down my 1/4 mile long driveway passing by about 25 cows and calves.

When I was a kid in the 60s my father had an auto shop in town (Highlands tx) and there was always a salesman of some kind coming by. It got to where it was a bother and one day a man come walking in while Dad was under an old DeSota and heard the salesman holler "Would you be interested in buying some.."
I heard a loud NO! come from under the car and about the same time the salesman finished his sentence "ice cream?" Dad and his creeper came out from under that car like shot from a cannon.
"What kind..it aint mellorine is it?"

Long story short, dad had me run in the kitchen, get a spoon and a couple of minutes later yelled for me to plug in the old Wizard chest freezer that sat in the back of the shop, and to go find our rickety old steel wheeled wheelbarrow. Dad bought the whole truckload of plain white quart carton containers of vanilla and strawberry ice cream. Dad was an ice cream connoisseur from way back. We ate more ice cream that year than all the years I could remember.

Last edited:

Latest posts