are you old enough to remember 60 years ago today the Cuban missile crises began

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I was 12 but clearly remember my parents and oldest sister watching black and white tv intently and my brother and I as well as my youngest older sister did not go to school for a couple of days in that period.

(We should be thankful Vasili Arkhipov had good instincts and balls the size of Jupiter)

Last edited:
I was 12 but clearly remember my parents and oldest sister watching black and white tv intently and my brother and I as well as my youngest older sister did not go to school for a couple of days in that period.

(We should be thankful Vasili Arkhipov had good instincts and balls the size of Jupiter)

Remember it well listening to dad and uncles watching it on tv.

Remember the "disaster drills" in school? Hiding under the desk to protect us from a nuclear attack? LOL... We were so innocent.
I remember.
I also remember our principal coming into our classrooms and warning us of the dangers of communism.
That hasn't happened for a very long time. Sad to say.

I was going to write about the stand off , aircraft loaded for a one way mission (if necessary) from my vantage point as a
young armament mechanic but I am so joyously relieved to this day that it turned out the way it did and that is enough for me.

In 1962 there wasn't any option except cash.
I was born in 1957 so barely remember it. Several of the schools here still have the fallout shelter signs.
Wrong Kenny! Most of the sailors were put to sea for the Cuban crisis drying up San Diego, but as the story was told the wives and bar maids had trading material. I was born in 1944.

I would have been 11. I remember doing the under the desk drills in school. Signs for fall out shelters in town. We were right in the middle of some prime targets. Next door to McChord Air Force base and Fort Lewis. The Bremerton ship yard just a few miles north and Boeing even closer.