solar eclipse April 8. This town is going nuts over it.

Help Support CattleToday:

Very cloudy here, but was able to see it thru the breaks in the clouds. Totality was indeed dark and I suppose because it had been so long since I saw a total solar eclipse, I had forgotten how brightly the daylight returned. Intended to watch from the back yard but about noon, we decided to drive the 1 mile up to a big parking lot, and sit on the tailgate. Why?
That parking lot includes the sponsor of the vendors.........Waffle Cone Ice Cream Parlor, that sells only Bluebell Ice Cream. I made good use of that option. First a strawberry malt and then a little later, a banana split. Damn the A1C-- full speed ahead!!

An hour after the eclipse was over tho, clear blue skies and bright sun returned.
Go figure..

We moseyed on over to a different city park that was supposed to have live entertainment this afternoon,, but that had been cancelled too.

Overall, for the City of Copperas Cove, (and many places in Central Texas) it was a financial bust. Here, they had spent a lot of $$ bringing in entertainment, trying to sell tent and RV camping spots out at Ogletree Gap, booking food trucks and other things, (eclipse glasses for$3 ea that many stores were giving away free) and by Thursday-Friday, it was obvious the weather was not going to cooperate. People went elsewhere and I'm glad of it.

And now, the city is probably gonna have to send crews all over, picking up the hundreds pairs of those glasses people chunked on the ground as soon as it was over. Saw them all over the ground at the city park. :(

I used a colander to view the eclipse,

it strained my eyes.

-------------------------

Don't forget to wear open-toed sandals on Monday

So you can watch the eclipse in toe-tality.

The eclpse is the best thing to happen, ever

All weekend, nothing else in the news. No murder, no house fires, no car accidents, no politics. So nice to have a weekend when nothing else happened.

Eclipse party at my house!

For only $600 you get one drink, one snack and your own 2"X2" spot to stand.

Party starts at 3:18 PM and at 3:22 PM GET THE HELL OFF MY PROPERTY!

Did anyone in the path have an abundance of people travel in to watch the eclipse? They were expecting some crazy number of people here and trying to get everyone to stay home to avoid the traffic blah,blah,blah...I didn't notice any difference in traffic today. If anything the Sunday and Monday traffic was less than normal. I think they hyped this thing all up for nothing.

Did anyone in the path have an abundance of people travel in to watch the eclipse? They were expecting some crazy number of people here and trying to get everyone to stay home to avoid the traffic blah,blah,blah...I didn't notice any difference in traffic today. If anything the Sunday and Monday traffic was less than normal. I think they hyped this thing all up for nothing.
We live near a lake and a river, lots of tourists through the summer and 4th of July you can't stir them with a stick they are so thick because of the fireworks show on the lake, they told us to stay home because there would be 3 time as many people here as there is on the 4th, traffic would be terrible and restaurants packed. Expect 7 times as many boats on the lake as the 4th. There was very little traffic, town seemed pretty quiet Sunday. From what I hear there was just a ton of money spent by local governments and businesses but not the crowd that was expected. From my understanding every campground and house in the area had been rented but I don't know where all the people were. It was good weather here, I had the day off so I worked on the farm until about 12 then we set out in the yard and watched the eclipse, it was pretty cool. Glad I had the opportunity. Didn't get as dark as I expected though. They had told how the animals would probably all go crazy and animals scared of storms would freak, there's not a dog more scared of storms than mine, he slept through most of it then just came over and sit down beside us. Definitely didn't act like he does during a storm.

IMG_2148.jpegWe were clear as a bell. Watched at my brothers house, when it started getting dark his horses came to the barn like it was evening time.

Quite a few people in town from elsewhere. I had to go there in the morning, was glad to get back home. Not an insane amount, just don't like to be around that many people.

Like little joe, I worked around the farm until about noon, at which point I grabbed a brew and watched for a couple of hours. Lots of critters around but the only oddity was we had owls down in the woods hooting back and forth throughout the entire eclipse. I never recall hearing owls in the middle of the day before. Other than that, near perfect viewing conditions

A little disappointing after all the hoopla. My daughter drove over two hours into Indiana to watch with her kids but they were not all that impressed.
I worked around the farm but did look up about 3:00 P.M. After being mostly cloudy, the skies had cleared to see our 90% eclipse.
The oddest thing to me was the look of the shadows cast by the trees, almost like the shadows you see from a bright full moon.

We had about an 85% eclipse they said. Was supposed to be at the max at 3:04. Well about 10 minutes til three, the rain clouds started rolling in, and completely hid the sun . But, good thing is it started raining about dark last night, and still is. Good day to drive up and eat lunch at the sale barn, though they don't have many cattle. Cattle sales start at 1:30, and it will be over by 2:30 today.

It's BYH... a homesteader type forum that is more for the "small time" type of farmer/homesteader's..... One of the members got some great pics of it... she has and shows mini horses...

Latest posts