Solar electric fence charger

Help Support CattleToday:

cowperson

Reaction score
I need a solar electric fence charger for about 10 miles. Does anyone have experience with solar fence charger and can recommend a brand, tips on setting up and any other information that would be helpful. Need for cattle. Thanks

33C58D83-A139-4346-A567-E389F09E85CD.png
2414945D-304B-4257-B700-9994AE5052DF.png
They're a little cashy but they just work. Plan and simple.
We have a couple in not so ideal locations. Under partial shade from trees, grass and weeds on the wire. You test the fence and it still works well enough to turn cows back.

Don't waste your money on American Farm Supply.
Ok in a pinch but Didn't last long.

Parmak also makes one that runs off of a deep cycle battery.

Cyclops by Taylor Fence Company.

And the old story is true: a charger is no better than the necessary ground rods.

Parmack and Taylor Fence are both American Brands with very good customer support. Also good are Gallager, Zareba, and Speedrite.

Don't pay attention to the "miles", that is all marketing and is normally tested under perfect labarotory condtions, not real world with weeds, ect. What matters is the joules of output (that is what gives the fence its "kick". You will have fewer joules with a solar charger than a plug-in type. As Ebenezer said, the grounding is important.

I had a Patriot solar energizer. :(
'ok', but not great. Battery went out after 1.5 years.
The cheapie version of Speedrite and Stayfix, which are products of New Zealand's True-test company.

I have there Parmak chargers. Never had an issue with any of them, and there is a company that rebuilds them if they do go bad. Somewhere on the net I read where they recommend one joule per mile of fence, but don't remember where I read it at.

Latest posts