Herefords. How soon we forget!

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefords.US":2tvvak0n said:
Predominant 25U - Picture ~1968
predominant_254.jpg

SAMPLE_5.JPEG

Which of these bulls do you think FGR Reed Hudson R34 is most like?

Ace Broker - 1988 Grand Champion Bull at the National Polled Hereford Show
Frame Size 10
ace_broker.jpg

H Easy Deal 609 ET - 2008 Grand Champion Bull -Denver and Fort Worth
2728.jpg

As far as finding some older genetics that could contribute something to "today's" cattle, I'd much rather go back 40 years than 20 - in many cases.

George

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yep, I have to laugh at this one, I've been doing this stuff way to long :lol:
This is a calf, she might have been 14/15 months in the pics, I really can not remember, its been a while, I do remember she had a actual ww over 800lbs, I think she was like 9.5 frame.
CHOO-CHOO, I here that train a comming.
All right hot-shots, which one of them bulls does she look like
24ae9f07.gif

gu1_11.jpg

Ain't it funny, frame was in at whatever cost a lot of guys would say they never did go with the small framed cattle. Now the penulum swings and some guys say they never did have the big frames, they say they always had the moderate frames. I think most people did have the moderate frames and their pendulum didn't swing like the "show cattle" did. Salesmanship at work.

CPL":2jr9yygu said:
Herefords.US":2jr9yygu said:
greenwillowhereford II":2jr9yygu said:
Looks like she could make a fair modern Hereford cow now.
modern_hereford_cow.jpg

1742. "Silver" cow. Mother of Hereford breed.
silver_cow.jpg

We know this pics not even close to what she looked like, poor cow would have to get down on her brisket to eat grass, she has no neck.

Does anyone know who had the champion in 71 at NWSS (Slide 91). I think I might know who that is, but not sure.

rocket2222":3r3nqqev said:
1742. "Silver" cow. Mother of Hereford breed.
silver_cow.jpg

We know this pics not even close to what she looked like, poor cow would have to get down on her brisket to eat grass, she has no neck.

Artistic License?

Maybe the grass in Herefordshire was really tall!

Or Ol' Tompkins was giving her "welfare" in an elevated feed bunk! :lol:

George

Knersie, Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I always enjoy looking at those old pictures.

user1":31y3j1al said:
Ain't it funny, frame was in at whatever cost a lot of guys would say they never did go with the small framed cattle. Now the penulum swings and some guys say they never did have the big frames, they say they always had the moderate frames. I think most people did have the moderate frames and their pendulum didn't swing like the "show cattle" did. Salesmanship at work.

You are right on both points. There were a lot of good breeders in the 50's and the 80's that stayed away from the extremes that were being highly promoted. Thankfully my father and grandfather didn't chase either of those fads(dinks and racehorses). I still remember my fathers words in the early 80's when some "dude" made a comment about our cattle not having enough frame. My dad said, "I've seen these fads come before. As long as we shoot for the middle of the road, we will still be in the cattle business long after guys like you have folded their tents." He was right then and his words still ring true today.

Elder Statesman":1eaz0418 said:
Knersie, Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I always enjoy looking at those old pictures.

user1":1eaz0418 said:

You are right on both points. There were a lot of good breeders in the 50's and the 80's that stayed away from the extremes that were being highly promoted. Thankfully my father and grandfather didn't chase either of those fads(dinks and racehorses). I still remember my fathers words in the early 80's when some "dude" made a comment about our cattle not having enough frame. My dad said, "I've seen these fads come before. As long as we shoot for the middle of the road, we will still be in the cattle business long after guys like you have folded their tents." He was right then and his words still ring true today.

I actually had both small and large. At the same time I had that 9+ frame cow pictured, I also had a couple of mid 4 frames, I also had 5's 6's 7's and 8 frames over about a 7 year period, it was the early 90's and the big frames were still somewhat "hot" but some breeders were starting to see a few problems. We went around and bought a few heifers from local breeders, mostly Victor breeding, some of those breeders had used some large frame bulls, some had not, so we ended up with a mixed bunch, small to large. Then I decided to try a bunch of different type bulls, some older proven bulls, some new, some big and small, and see what worked for me. All that took about 7 or 8 years, by the time i'd tried a few different bulls, watched the calves grow and get some daughters in production and seen their calves grow. Off course, I ended up somewhere about midway between the two. Hard to believe it took me about 8 years to figure that out, er. Jeez. :)

Latest posts