How long?

Help Support CattleToday:

I haven't read this whole thing but it looks like the people promoting minis are invested in minis. If I were raising cattle on a smaller place I would just breed pedigree brood stock. No chance of mini genes that way.

I could be wrong but I think he "mini" market is driven more by people buying a couple of acres and wanting something cute rather than carcass yield or frame size and that the "mini" market is not ever going to be driven by carcass potential and the meat market is never going to be driven by minis

Agreed, and I made the same point when the thread started, but the man has been vehement about defending their place in beef production so I'm fishing.
Even if you ignore the fact that the consumer wants smaller diameter thicker cuts of meat.Family sizes are smaller and the average consumer doesn't have the freezer space for an entire whole large beef.
Regardless of what is driving the "mini " market. The fact remains the same .
"Mini" cattle have a documented history of over a thousand years so the "mini" genetics have existed and will continue to exist for hundreds of years.
I haven't read this whole thing but it looks like the people promoting minis are invested in minis. If I were raising cattle on a smaller place I would just breed pedigree brood stock. No chance of mini genes that way.
Many registered breeds do not discriminate by size so you will be sadly disappointed that those genes are already present in registered breeds.

If a Char cow or bull threw dinky calves they would get rid of them, not breed from them. My husband's father raised pedigree charlais. My husband bred up a herd of Beefmaster purebreds after they had to sell all the chars to pay the death taxes. He got them to where they were too big and had to breed them back down to regular size.

He tells me my idea of a registered herd to sell breeding stock does not really work unless you also have a commercial herd going on. Say, youve got 100 pedigree cows, and half are bull calves. Only the top 20% are going to be good looking breeding stock. Once you sell those off the rest don't look so good.

Some people, home steader and hobby farm types on the Keeping a Family Cow board are hyping mini Jerseys. They actually don't want that much milk. They "share milk" leaving the calf on so their lazy butt only has to milk once a day. But these mini Jerseys look like they shorter legs on a normal cow, kind of like Basset Hounds are full size big dogs with ridiculous short legs.

They also like Dexters, they say the bulls are good for breeding Jersey heifers because small calves in a breed that is already small. The crossbreds don't make as much milk and have more meat on them. A little, not a lot. I prefer pure bred Jerseys. Bred to an Angus heifer bull makes a calf

Latest posts