How long?

Help Support CattleToday:

Commercial beef production always comes down to money.

U.S. Angus association founded a year later in 1883 has registered over 10 million head.
If that is the case we all should be raising Hereford they hit the 10 million registration mark in 1960. And registered over 500,000 in a single year in the 1950s

If that is the case we all should be raising Hereford they hit the 10 million registration mark in 1960. And registered over 500,000 in a single year in the 1950s
Go ahead, they're a good breed and another that has left Highland and Galloway in the dust.
Personally I prefer F1 Angus x Hereford females over either pure breed.

Last edited:
I don't get it. What are you doing to me?

p.s.
IF it matters I sold 1/2s on a 3/8 Wagyu 5/8 Angus steer hanging 760 lbs at the butcher now.
And will be using a home raised 3/4 Wagyu bull this spring.
A retired dairy farmer friend started his beef cow herd with Wagyu embryos.
He breeds A.I. talked with him last month and I will consider buying a Wagyu bull from him when finished with my 3/4 bull.
IF anyone in Minnesota is interested in buying a Wagyu bull shoot me a pm and I'll give you his contact info.

Last edited:
I don't get it. What are you doing to me?

p.s.
IF it matters I sold 1/2s on a 3/8 Wagyu 5/8 Angus steer hanging 760 lbs at the butcher now.
And will be using a home raised 3/4 Wagyu bull this spring.
A retired dairy farmer friend started his beef cow herd with Wagyu embryos.
He breeds A.I. talked with him last month and I will consider buying a Wagyu bull from him when finished with my 3/4 bull.
IF anyone in Minnesota is interested in buying a Wagyu bull shoot me a pm and I'll give you his contact info.
Sorry, I should have specified that the only reason I brought up your previous post pertaining to uniform quality amongst good beeves was to keep stirring the pot here. I have no stake in the mini or highland or belted game, I'm just on "vacation" until the week is out and I'm already bored beyond the basic rigamarole. Just trying to keep the crap flinging going.

And the number of registered beef by breed in 1911 has what to do with todays market? The vast majority of commercial beef today are not pure breed but are crossbreed. Totally different economic and farming practices today compared with 1911? How many cattle were purchased and shot and buried in a hole during the Great Depression?
Still doesn't answer the questions of why Kenny doesn't like ,highland ,Galloway,dexters
But why actually discuss the topic of a thread ?
It not specifically those breeds its the mini's in general. I have 2 -1/4 highland cows but they weigh 1200, have good frame and dont show a lot of hair. I can live with that. The mini's i cant do.

So how much meat is off the lower legs?
1200 lbs is 1200 lbs why does it matter how long the legs are.

I have owned several and was glad to get rid of them. At a loss.

It not specifically those breeds its the mini's in general. I have 2 -1/4 highland cows but they weigh 1200, have good frame and dont show a lot of hair. I can live with that.
So wich is it ?
So you sold highlands at a loss and bought them again after badmouth them numerous times here.

There's a difference in 1/4 of a particular breed and a full or high percentage of it.
For example a pure looking Hereford will get docked, but a half Hereford x Angus or black Simmental will bring good.
Never had any Scotch Highlands and don't plan on it. I would imagine though that a decent sized one bred down to 1/4 Highland and 3/4 Angus would be acceptable.
We recently bought a Belted Galloway cow and heifer calf, not miniatures. Did not buy it because we thought it was the next big thing, but solely for a pasture ornament. The cow is too hairy for our liking, so definitely wouldn't want many of them here too hot in the summer and muddy in the winter.
If the calves retain the belts when bred to Angus or Simmental bulls, we'll just feed them out for beef. No doubt they will be good beef animals but just not what the markets want to fit that mold.

Who are you asking?

I have 2 -1/4 highland cows but they weigh 1200, have good frame and dont show a lot of hair. I can live with that. The mini's i cant do.
This entire thread was stated to bitch about the length of leg.
Then when op was asked to defend that position he switched to weight,
Length of leg and weight are not the same thing as I have pointed out over and over in this thread

This entire thread was stated to bitch about the length of leg.
Then when op was asked to defend that position he switched to weight,
Length of leg and weight are not the same thing as I have pointed out over and over in this thread
You might want to go back and reread the original post.

With the craze of mini Highlanders, Belties, Dexter's, Zebu, and many others how long will it take to get rid of these genetics when the craze is over. It will crash just like the ostrich but many of these are being crossed where ostrich were not.

Rmc: "Since highlands and Galloway are some of the longest recorded breeds worldwide I don't think they will be going anywhere soon."

Once again Rmc is rewriting history, op specified mini and Rmc sends thread off the rails by being the first to change subject from minis to non -mini

Last edited:
With the craze of mini Highlanders, Belties, Dexter's, Zebu, and many others how long will it take to get rid of these genetics when the craze is over. It will crash just like the ostrich but many of these are being crossed where ostrich were not.
Maybe you need to reread the entire thread. Here is the original post.
You might want to go back and reread the original post.
no where in ANY defintion anywhere is the term "mini" dictated by weight. A mini cow is any cow that is a cow that is under 42 inches at 2 YEARS old.
There are many mini cattle that are over 1200lbs. Including the pic of mini Highlanders in the pic I posted in this thread.

no where in ANY defintion anywhere is the term "mini" dictated by weight. A mini cow is any cow that is a cow that is under 42 inches at 2 YEARS old.
There are many mini cattle that are over 1200lbs. Including the pic of mini Highlanders in the pic I posted in this thread.
Then why was your very first response about galloway and highland regardless of height?

cattle under 42" and over 1200 lbs is an extreme outlier from the norm

Then why was your very first response about galloway and highland regardless of height?
Because for almost a thousand years a highland was a highland regardless of height. Vey similar to Hereford you can register a Hereford today in aha regardless of height. It could be a "mini" or a midsize sometimes referred to as heritage or the biggest Hereford ever known to mankind. It is still a Hereford regardless of height. Just as a highland is a highland regardless of height.
And you were the one who asked for the documentation . Wich was provided .
Sorry have to play gotcha with someone else once again you failed.

Extrapolation and understanding are both best practiced diligently in order to be well used. The concern wasn't about height or weight, but about miniature genetics polluting the greater gene pool. Sorry you are so invested in misunderstanding.

Latest posts