Cows from star lake sale still not here

Help Support CattleToday:

The hauler should have acted in a professional manner and kept in touch with you about the status of your cows. It doesn't matter how big of a wheel that he is, he should have done that.
He should have contacted you at the first indication that he would not be able to haul them when promised. Apparently he has more business than he can handle. That is not your fault. If you couldn't do the job, he should have told you. Is he the company recommended by the company that managed the sale? If you, you should write a polite letter to them letting them know how you are being treated because his business dealings reflect on the reliability of the auction company.

Do not write a check and stop payment on it. He can take you to court about it and you will lose regardless. Paying for services and stopping payment is equated to stealing.

Good luck. Keep your cool and wishing you safe travels.

ETA: the good thing is that you know where they are. I have a friend who had a horse hauled. The haulers contacted her when they left. And arrived 2 weeks after they said they would be there. She was beside herself because they wouldn't answer her calls. Turned out the poor horse traveled back & forth across the county while they delivered other horses they picked up on the way.

Small guy or not you deserve what he promised. You also never know when the small guy turns into the large guy, they all started somewhere. I would make sure he knows you are not happy paying full price, for instance I have told a couple people in the past to charge me what they thought was fair when I was unhappy, one charged full price and the other wrote it off.

I would make sure look the cattle over for any injuries and condition being finalizing any payment, make sure he knows he assumed responsibility for them while he had them.

Ok so got my cattle home finally :banana:
We left at 10 am yesterday for Erie. Got a hold of the trucker and met him at a TA truckstop at 530 pm. Thats when the fun starts. The weather was fine all day traveling. As soon as I pulled in it was a blizzard. So we backed our trailer to his to unload. He had them in the front compartment. So they got a running start to my trailer. Never seen cattle run and jump into a trailer before like that. The hereford heifer ran back and forth a few times but we got her in. I sure the wind snow and the fact that it was dark didnt help at all. She seems kinda crazy and Im hoping thats juts the travel cause she was fine at the sale. Now we get to lathrop. Randy sent the bill for the full 800. I immediately called him. He said it was MY CHOICE to drive out there. Is he ******* crazy? I said you wanna get paid your high estimate for 4 weeks late and 7 hours short. He said knock a hundred off. I traveled 16 hours and 400 in fuel and tolls. What a crock but I wasnt gonna argue over the phone and I had to get on the rode. Lesson learned dont use lathrop if you are a small guy. So we drove for 3 hours with about zero visiblity but made it home 3 am. So this part of the story is over for now.

On a side note my recip is almost 8 years old? Whats with that?

Glad you finally got your cattle. What is wrong with an 8 year old cow for a recip? Many older cows can raise a good calf.

The recips I've used that were my own cows were 5-7 yrs old, so I do'nt think anything is wrong with it. The reason I use an older cow is that they're proven mothers and as long as they have a good bag/teets and can raise a good calf - especially an expensive registered one, then thats the cow I want raising the calf. Now the bad thing is you do'nt know any of that buying a recip at an auction. I bet you'll be fine though.

Glad to hear you got back safely. What a trip! Agree on the Lathrop deal.

As with almost every consideration relating to cattle "function", the age of the individual is not the operative factor! The inherent genetic condition and lifetime care and husbandry of the cow (the recipient in this case) determines how she may perform in the future. A recipient is as deserving of optimal feed, care and housing - or more so - as the original donor of valuable seedstock genetics. They are as valuable as your spouse! They are worthy of great respect!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":13br0bsr said:
As with almost every consideration relating to cattle "function", the age of the individual is not the operative factor! The inherent genetic condition and lifetime care and husbandry of the cow (the recipient in this case) determines how she may perform in the future. A recipient is as deserving of optimal feed, care and housing - or more so - as the original donor of valuable seedstock genetics. They are as valuable as your spouse! They are worthy of great respect!

DOC HARRIS
;-) I'm not winking, my eye is swelled shut. I pointed out in the pasture and said to my wife, "see that good looking recip cow? She is as valuable as you are". Thanks DOC.

Again Isom ? Boy you just keep failing the IQ test.
You forget those cow's ,tractor's, house, truck , paycheck and everything else is hers, she just let's you hang around like a mutt dog.

I get its not old but I thought I seen somewhere that they were 4-7 years old. I'm sure she has a long time to go. She looks good. She is definitely calmer than the heifer but both seem to be in good condition and health since I last seen them. How old is to old for a recip if she still calves well.

Caustic Burno":2b1ip62z said:
Again Isom ? Boy you just keep failing the IQ test.
You forget those cow's ,tractor's, house, truck , paycheck and everything else is hers, she just let's you hang around like a mutt dog.
What? I just told her what DOC said :lol: . Doc she wants your phone #. :shock:

shadyhollownj":9bvekquf said:
I get its not old but I thought I seen somewhere that they were 4-7 years old. I'm sure she has a long time to go. She looks good. She is definitely calmer than the heifer but both seem to be in good condition and health since I last seen them. How old is to old for a recip if she still calves well.

we've got an ET calf coming in the spring out of an 11yo recip, who just got done raising a 620lb steer this year and looks good doing it. Fitness and functionality are the keys, does she calve easily? maintain body condition while milking well? gain condition post-weaning? have a sound udder and teat structure? shows no signs of physical infirmity? cycles and conceives early in the breeding season? has not lost a calf or failed to breed in the past?

of course she could still drop dead of old age :)

Shady, glad you finally got your cows. That was about as unprofessionally handled as anything could be. You still wouldn't have them if you had waited on Lathrop Trucking. A couple of months ago, there was an ad for a group of registered cows in Ohio, 10 hours from me. There were about 12 head and I wanted to try to buy them all and the owner suggested I call Lathrop about a price for trucking. He was needing to sell and wanted to sell them as a group.
I called and left a message on the cell phone a couple of times and called 2 other numbers and finally on the 3rd day I got a lady to talk to. I told her the situation and asked for a price and delivery date. She said Randy would be back in a couple of days and he would call me. I told her I needed to know as soon as possible because someone else might buy the cattle.
She asked where I was and where the cattle were to be picked up. She recognized the place I was buying them and told me they had another buyer who was already working on buying them and they would have first chance to buy them.
Needless to say, I was shocked that a trucking company did not want to talk to me about a trucking price because they had a guy trying to buy the cattle. I never got the promised call back from them. Also, the seller ended up selling one or two animals at a time over about 6 weeks.
I will never call Lathrop again and it sounds like I am very lucky that I did not buy these cattle and contract them to haul.

Isomade-

I'm not winking, my eye is swelled shut. I pointed out in the pasture and said to my wife, "see that good looking recip cow? She is as valuable as you are". Thanks DOC.
My dear wife, Ruthie, told me that I might get some flack from several wives for that comment! But I said "..but...but..why?? I was complimenting the spouses with that remark!! Why is it that women always misinterpret well-meaning expressions?? If you think that I am going to give your wife my phone #, you have a 'nother think a'comin'! I have been married 68 years, and am just now beginning to begin to start to understand what the female gender is all about. I think!

Give this # a try: 1(800) 555-5555. If that doesn't work - forget it!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2ueu4azj said:
Isomade-

I'm not winking, my eye is swelled shut. I pointed out in the pasture and said to my wife, "see that good looking recip cow? She is as valuable as you are". Thanks DOC.
My dear wife, Ruthie, told me that I might get some flack from several wives for that comment! But I said "..but...but..why?? I was complimenting the spouses with that remark!! Why is it that women always misinterpret well-meaning expressions?? If you think that I am going to give your wife my phone #, you have a 'nother think a'comin'! I have been married 68 years, and am just now beginning to begin to start to understand what the female gender is all about. I think!

DOC HARRIS

68 years and you're just starting to understand........i guess the rest of us are just dead men walking. One thing i do know is no matter how well intentioned a remark like that is you will always pay a heavy price for it cuz their brains do not see the world like ours.....no offense Ladies just an observation based on years of being continually wrong!

DOC HARRIS":1k6dhvxo said:
Isomade-

DOC HARRIS
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll let you boys in on a secret....

Doesn't matter how long you're married...as soon as you think you have it figured out...We're gonna change the rules so you have to start all over again.......

You didn't think politicians came up with it on their own did you!!!! :pretty:

CottageFarm":6froahhn said:

Doesn't matter how long you're married...as soon as you think you have it figured out...We're gonna change the rules so you have to start all over again.......

Truer words never spoken.

CottageFarm":2y68voyh said:

I have alway's said if it wasn't for sex there would be two tribes and we would have a bounty on ya'll.

Caustic Burno":2nigrwzn said:
CottageFarm":2nigrwzn said:

I have alway's said if it wasn't for sex there would be two tribes and we would have a bounty on ya'll.
I heard it said "if it weren't for sex they would be hung on the fence with the coyotes". Of course it was said as a joke and I did NOT say it.

:lol: :lol:
There are two reasons we can change the rules:

1. How boring would your life be after a couple of years if we were so predictable.....
2. We can...ie, you let us. Why? You love us.....see reason #1

Okay, there's the sex thing too, but you all could get that elsewhere if you really wanted to.