Cows from star lake sale still not here

Help Support CattleToday:

you know this is the kind of mess you get into when you depend on a bunch of jerks to do things for you, and with the term jerks i am being nice, this is why i either do them myself or don't get involved at all. imo the star lake cattle and lots of other cattle just like them are a bunch of over priced hamburger, i havebeen to those sales to many times to count and the seller could give a sh''' less about you after they get your check, and these scum by the way are alose in the horse business as well as hogs i have delt with them all at one time or another over the last 35 years. when i get those sale flyers in the male now they go straght to the trash can, when you get a little more time i will tell you how i feel about a bunch of them in the ai business, but for now this post is getting to long good night,

They are at lathrops yard in chicago.

So looks like I am rolling out tomorrow morning to Erie Pa. Its 7 hours away but at least I can get them tomorrow. Randy called me this morning and said he is bringing a load out there tomorrow and he can put mine on it. He wanted to meet in toledo but that is two 3 more hours west for me. I guess he didnt realize erie was that much closer to jersey :???: So he said he will call me later to confirm. So should I be pissed if he wants his full 800 when I am driving 7 hours not 2 like agreed. Also the fact that it took 5 weeks not ten days. At least half of my purchase will be in my possession. I'll work on the embryos monday.

Personally I would have a hard time paying the full amount as they did live up to the deal.

Hell no I would not pay him for 5 weeks. Figure your time and fuel and deduct it from the bill. But that would leave them owning you money. But what the heck with all the money you have wasted so far, you might as well just pay him what he wants.

You're barking up the wrong tree calling Genex, they can't release the embryos for you. You need to call the people you bought it from, the auction company, anyone involved with the sale. As for the cows? I would go get them myself. I'd smile as I wrote the check for whatever amount they wanted. As soon as the cows were loaded, I'd call my bank and void the check. You shouldn't have to mess around like this, it's insane.

Good luck getting your stuff. You shouldn't have to jump through hoops like this.

Bestoutwest":4nbqa802 said:
You're barking up the wrong tree calling Genex, they can't release the embryos for you. You need to call the people you bought it from, the auction company, anyone involved with the sale. As for the cows? I would go get them myself. I'd smile as I wrote the check for whatever amount they wanted. As soon as the cows were loaded, I'd call my bank and void the check. You shouldn't have to mess around like this, it's insane.

Good luck getting your stuff. You shouldn't have to jump through hoops like this.

With all due respect, while I understand the desire, I urge you not to do this. It's fraudulent and puts you in a bad situation legally. Not to mention it's kinda chickenshyt. Sorry to be blunt. If they still want to charge full price, and if you want to dispute the charges, (which I would do) do it before hand. Preferrably on the phone before you even get there, but do it legally and ethically.

shadyhollownj":52vf2qyh said:
They are at lathrops yard in chicago.

So looks like I am rolling out tomorrow morning to Erie Pa. Its 7 hours away but at least I can get them tomorrow. Randy called me this morning and said he is bringing a load out there tomorrow and he can put mine on it. He wanted to meet in toledo but that is two 3 more hours west for me. I guess he didnt realize erie was that much closer to jersey :???: So he said he will call me later to confirm. So should I be be nice if he wants his full 800 when I am driving 7 hours not 2 like agreed. Also the fact that it took 5 weeks not ten days. At least half of my purchase will be in my possession. I'll work on the embryos monday.

Don't be nice. Tell him you'll pay $500, but not $800. 7 hrs vs 2hrs. Thats a crock. You're gonna be on the road for 14-15 hrs. Like myself, you put your confidence in Lathrop to deliver them close to you. I told them repeatedly that I needed them 1-2 hrs away from me and the closes they could get was 4hrs. I 'm only 5 hrs from the Star Lake so I just hopped in the truck and got them. If I was farther away and they still missed their location by more than 2 hrs, I wouldve told them we would need to renegotiate. If I told my customers that I defiantely know how it would go!

CottageFarm":1n8t4hu5 said:
Bestoutwest":1n8t4hu5 said:

With all due respect, while I understand the desire, I urge you not to do this. It's fraudulent and puts you in a bad situation legally. Not to mention it's kinda chickenshyt. Sorry to be blunt. If they still want to charge full price, and if you want to dispute the charges, (which I would do) do it before hand. Preferrably on the phone before you even get there, but do it legally and ethically.
I agree with you wholeheartedly CF!!!

It wasnt supposed to say "be nice" in my previous post. Thats cattle today and there auto correct. I have no problem paying him 600 bucks. I mean he is delivering them 2/3 of the 1200 miles so thats only 530 bucks. Not to mention how late it is. I would love to cancel the check but i know that will be more problems and I just want to be done. he was supposed to call me later today so we will see. I gotta talk to him about the money cause i am surely not paying the high estimate for half the job of 800.

Seems like the breeder and the stock agent ( thats if you have them in the US) are very slack. Get yourself a lawyer quick smart. Get your money back and shop elsewhere. You should not have to wait a month for an item you purchase. Every sale I attend now I have the agent assure me that there is adequate transport away from the sale. I had to wait ten days to get two head of cattle about 120 miles once. Never again. No transport arranged = no buy at that sale. I often organize my own transport prior to the sale.Good luck.

CottageFarm":3acts3ny said:

So what happens when the place refuses to come down on price? Bend over and take it and be happy to do it? Are their practices ethical?

Bestoutwest":gia4k3wd said:
CottageFarm":gia4k3wd said:

So what happens when the place refuses to come down on price? Bend over and take it and be happy to do it? Are their practices ethical?

He has a number of legal roads he could take if they refuse to lower the price and he doesn't want to pay the high estimate. However, when he signs that check he has signed a legal promissory note to pay their fees and that he agrees to their terms. To turn around and stop payment on the check would be fraudulent on his part. He doesn't need the kind of headaches or expense that come with that.

No, I would not consider it ethical on their part if they try to charge him full price, but it still would be legal.
However, whether someone else is ethical is their dealings with me is not relevant to whether I will sacrifice my own ethics. I like to be able to look myself in the mirror knowing I tried to do what was right.

You might not want to hear this - but, you have some high dollar cattle that you are hoping to sell high dollar offspring. I would not do anything in the cattle business to put a black eye on your reputation. Remember, Randy knows every breeder from coast to coast. It is not uncommon to have to wait for a "load" put together. There are two sides to a story, he may be working his butt off trying to get this put together (NOT SAYING THAT HE IS!!!).
For what you have spent, and what you hope to sell, you're talking a few hundred dollars. Might be best to swollow hard.
I have found that when something happens like this, if you are polite, word will get out that you could have been an azz, but was real nice about a bad situation.
Reputation is everything. And your seller does not care about reputation any more. They're done.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1lj5qlmy said:
You might not want to hear this - but, you have some high dollar cattle that you are hoping to sell high dollar offspring. I would not do anything in the cattle business to put a black eye on your reputation. Remember, Randy knows every breeder from coast to coast. It is not uncommon to have to wait for a "load" put together. There are two sides to a story, he may be working his butt off trying to get this put together (NOT SAYING THAT HE IS!!!).
For what you have spent, and what you hope to sell, you're talking a few hundred dollars. Might be best to swollow hard.
I have found that when something happens like this, if you are polite, word will get out that you could have been an azz, but was real nice about a bad situation.
Reputation is everything. And your seller does not care about reputation any more. They're done.

I notice the same hasn't been said very loudly about Lathrop, but that, may well be the case as well. I doubt they're losing any sleep over what they probably see as "small potatoes", and may even be having a big laugh over the whole matter at shadyhollownj's expense.

Been a good thread and I have learned alot from it. 1st. thing is I won't ever use Lathrop Trucking. 2nd. I guess people really do pay to much at auctions. Always thought the big money that was spent was on the buddy - buddy system. 3rd. some folks will do anything to keep up their reputation, and or for a dollar. No azz kissing here. 4th. some of you folks sure have alot of patience, I guess this is why I like to stay in the woods. And last but not least, I would stop payment on the check, and after 5 weeks pay him his money.

So no call back today to see where Im driving but I'll be on the road by 10 tomorrow driving somewhere. I get I'm small potatoes but just tell me that from the get go. Dont say 7-10 days if you know thats not gonna happen. I would have just gone out to the sale with the trailer. I get it he probably said that to get the business then worries about how he is gonna do it later. I mean he was shipping a thousand pigs to china yesterday so he isnt worried about me. I may be small potatoes to him but these cows are a huge nut to me. Just didnt expect that coming from a big shipper that does this everyday. I am trying to bite the bullet on this jeanne but its tough since its been so long. I was polite for a month but thats all I can stand and I cant stands no more.

Latest posts