Cows from star lake sale still not here

Help Support CattleToday:

That was just my experience. I wouldn't say they're being neglected. It looked like good hay, but it was not in a bale feeder. Water was available too. Just kind of eery nobody was around. So are your cows somewhere else?

Oh I see now. If you want them and you got time, go get em. You spend that kind of money,you don't need to wait. Thats the way I looked at it. Killed my weekend to go get em but I'm glad I did. I just got the feeling that STar Lake didn't care about my cows once they got rid of the other cattle there and they were pressuring me to get there that weekend. Lathrup is unorganized and terrible about calling people back or if you only have a few lots of cattle, they don't want to help. It was clear as day after dealing with them. I'll pay some retired guy around here to take my truck and trailer to get my cattle from now on if I can't go or its a long trip. I'm still fuming about it if you can't tell! Hope your deal works out for you.

Well with work I cant take off cause I am the owner of the company. The soonest I could go out is thanksgiving. They said It would be after thanksgiving that weekend. I just don't want to wait and get a call friday and they say they are not coming.

Thanksgiving is only a few days away. If you can, go get them.
I wonder if they are charging you board for feeding them.

So called lanthrop this morning and they said they would have an answer for me today. Called back at 5 and spoke to a woman who was obviously annoyed with me. Perfect now we are getting somewhere. She said randy was out ouf the off ice for the forth day in a row and he will call me tomorrow. I called randys cell since that doesnt make outgoing calls I guess. left a nice message. I also call the AHA this morning and left a message with jack I think the COO of the association. Told him the situation and still no call back. Shocker. I told randy I need a date tomorrow or I will be out on thursday to get them my self. How embarrassing this is for Star Lake and the association. I always thought farmers were the honest ones not like the scum I deal with in construction. But then again they are the corporate america version of farmers. I honestly dont even know how to handle this since they are animals and a lot can be done to screw me and there is no contract. They couldnt charge for feeding them when they should have been at my place three weeks ago

I want to say I am sorry for being the first to recomend that you hire a contract hauler to move the cows. So sorry it has not worked out. I have never used that company but I cant imagine how they stay in business.

Hey I thought it was a good idea to fly and not drive 40 hours. I am not blaming anyone. I am just shocked no one on here has ever put a post on here about lanthrop so I would have known. I know this is not the first time they have done business like this. I just dont get how the association can stand by and let lanthrop be the hauler for so many sales if he does business this way. I know its not there call but they have to have some pull unless they just dont care.

Pay a retired farmer to leave tomorrow, take your truck and trailer and go get them.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":10tehxul said:
I've been reading this thread and I so surprised Randy is being so bad about this. He always had a great reputation.

Sounds like that reputation is going down the drain.

slick4591":2pc0jcev said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2pc0jcev said:
I've been reading this thread and I so surprised Randy is being so bad about this. He always had a great reputation.

Sounds like that reputation is going down the drain.

You have to kep in mind that this was a total dispersion, including the equipment and more critical is the effect on the people who where employees. They have all lost their job and its even possible by now that they have moved to other jobs. Its not like the owner was the operator and can see about all the little details that need to be seen about. A lot of bad things can happen in situations like these and getting any purchases out of there ASAP after sale is highly advised.

What does a total dispersion sale have to do with the shipper being less than forth coming and genex not sending the embryos?

I am pretty sure they hauled the bull that Double V and i bought from Virginia to Missouri. No problems but that doesn't mean much!

My main concerns now isnt the fact that they didnt get delivered in a timely matter. It is the fact that they are kept in a truckers yard thats the same as a sale barn as far as disease. Also I wanted some time before they calved to get to know my place and me frankly in case there is some kind of issue calving or something. I mean what if they get hurt, sick, under or over fed. I mean its me thats gonna have to deal with it cause I'm a little guy that needs two cows hauled. I mean I could deal with it if i didnt spend 12000 on the two of them. The most expensive cow I ever bought before was 3000. So this is a big move for my farm and family thats turning into a mess.

I have some Star Lineman girls standing in the pasture. They are great foundation cattle.
I am too anal to have somebody haul that many froghides for me. Hope it works out for you that is some high dollar hamburger if it goes South. You have more paitence than I do as I would have already driven to where my cattle are and bonded out.

black and red":23pj48is said:
Shadyhallownj,

You're in the same boat I was. I bought $17,000 for a couple heifers and I was completely disappointed by Lathrup. I was actually a little disapointed in STar Lake and Monte too. I called Lathrup to ship them. Granted I am only 5 hrs away, but I am just too busy with my ag business to take off...............or so I thought. Lathrup calls and says can we send them to St. Joe Missouri? I said NO, its 4 hrs to ST. Joe and its 5 hrs to Star Lake. Why would I pay for that?????. I wanted you to ship them atleast within an hour or two becuase my time is too limited this time of year. THey said they'd call back. WEll they didn't. Monte calls and tells me my heifers are the last 2 left and have been for almost a week! Everyone is gone and they're tired of feeding them hay. I almost blew my lid hearing that BS! Tired of feeding them F'in hay because nobody informed me of this crappy shipment fiasco? I complained about Lathrup and all he had to say was it was all LAthrup. Well I hopped in my truck on Saturday morning and drove 10 hrs roundtrip to get them.

I won't ever use Lathrup trucking again.
17k for 2 heifers :shock: i would have carried them back on my shoulders if i had to

shadyhollownj":1j3orrn5 said:
So called lanthrop this morning and they said they would have an answer for me today. Called back at 5 and spoke to a woman who was obviously annoyed with me. Perfect now we are getting somewhere. She said randy was out ouf the off ice for the forth day in a row and he will call me tomorrow. I called randys cell since that doesnt make outgoing calls I guess. left a nice message. I also call the AHA this morning and left a message with jack I think the COO of the association. Told him the situation and still no call back. Shocker. I told randy I need a date tomorrow or I will be out on thursday to get them my self. How embarrassing this is for Star Lake and the association. I always thought farmers were the honest ones not like the scum I deal with in construction. But then again they are the corporate america version of farmers. I honestly dont even know how to handle this since they are animals and a lot can be done to screw me and there is no contract. They couldnt charge for feeding them when they should have been at my place three weeks ago

all you see right now is red. give it some time and you will realize that you are the only one that will be embarrassed out of the deal. you are the spoke on the wheel that makes the bus go round and round, round and round. they aren't any different than wallstreet traders. buy low, sell high (to you) - and you think they give a rats ... about you. i do hope you keep everyone informed about the stock you got. i'm curious to see how they are going pay for themselves.

ALACOWMAN":19qplbbp said:
black and red":19qplbbp said:
Shadyhallownj,

You're in the same boat I was. I bought $17,000 for a couple heifers and I was completely disappointed by Lathrup. I was actually a little disapointed in STar Lake and Monte too. I called Lathrup to ship them. Granted I am only 5 hrs away, but I am just too busy with my ag business to take off...............or so I thought. Lathrup calls and says can we send them to St. Joe Missouri? I said NO, its 4 hrs to ST. Joe and its 5 hrs to Star Lake. Why would I pay for that?????. I wanted you to ship them atleast within an hour or two becuase my time is too limited this time of year. THey said they'd call back. WEll they didn't. Monte calls and tells me my heifers are the last 2 left and have been for almost a week! Everyone is gone and they're tired of feeding them hay. I almost blew my lid hearing that BS! Tired of feeding them F'in hay because nobody informed me of this crappy shipment fiasco? I complained about Lathrup and all he had to say was it was all LAthrup. Well I hopped in my truck on Saturday morning and drove 10 hrs roundtrip to get them.

I won't ever use Lathrup trucking again.
17k for 2 heifers :shock: i would have carried them back on my shoulders if i had to

I did get a little carried away on one of them. I won't tell you what that one cost........but it wasn't 50/50 on the price! She was a full sister to Olivia that brought $175,000. I liked the pedigree, her looks and she will fit in nicely in my herd. But yes, its like land right now. I had to have it so I spent waaay too much and then I tell myself Damn I shoulda just stayed home.

Ok so talked to randy today. He can have them in winchester,va next week which is 4 hours away from me? Really thats not lancaster like it was supposed to be. I told him that wasnt gonna work. He said he may have a part time guy run a load to western pa pittsburgh area over the weekend and i could meet him and still pay full price I assume. He said if I pick them up in chicago he wants 500 bucks for leaving them at star lake for a month and then bringing them to his place. He started to say it was gonna be more than 800 but I cut him off and reminded him his HIGH estimate was 7-800. So either way i am driving 4-12 hours each way and its gonna cost me 1100 for shipping with my fuel. So one way or another I am getting them friday myself or the weekend in pittsburgh. Hopefully all goes well.

B and R good luck with your heifer she looked good. Process of elimination I figured which one u got.

I gotta say 76 are u on suicide watch. We are guys taking a risk trying to advance our herds. I gotta say way to have some confidence in other guys wondering how they are going to pay for themselves. I guess there will be no more consignment sales or private treaty sales. You sound like the type of guy that takes risks why dont you give the spokes on the wheel some pointers. I gotta say I didnt buy that high since mine were under the averages of the sale. According to you though average is probably all one can hope for. I am not embarrassed at all. Why would I be? I took a risk to advance my herd and maybe make a name for myself. They wont be embarrassed but that doesnt mean they shouldnt be. Its the little guys that make the wheels go round and round. You taught me that :cowboy:

Latest posts