Cattle people/ farmers are getting old.

Help Support CattleToday:

A lot of wonderful comments in this thread....basically what we know for a fact is (as of late) owning Land is King and makes you wealthy when you go to sell...whereas inheriting or buying a farm and raising crops and cattle on the land is rough some make it some don't. That tells me Agricultural products and pricing will have to adjust upward in the near future. Nobody wants to be a farmer anymore, land is being developed...I'm getting hungry for food already.

I'm 32 years old. Cattle and hay are full time for me. My wife owns her own business next town over. We're not getting rich, but we're making it. The cattle I run for a big operator, pay the farm bills. My dad comes to help me when he can. He's wanting to retire again, and so he's put some money into my operation, in the hopes that I can expand and grow to the point where I can pay him to work part time when he retires. I have wanted to be into cattle my whole life, and I'm doing all can to make it work. Buying our own cattle is not something that I'm familiar with, so it's an expensive lesson. But even those cattle have paid for themselves, so I see potential to make money once I get it nailed down. But around here, I'm the youngest I know, getting into ag. There are a few people my age that grew up in it, that are still in it. I did not grow up in it. I'm not going to give up my dream without a fight. The wife and I are considering selling our house, and living in the living quarters that are built into the shop. Size wise it's not ideal, with a 2 1/2 year old and a 1 1/2 year old, but it would eliminate all our debt, except for the farm. AG isn't an easy life, it's not a 40 hour job, it's not regular income, but I wouldn't give it up for anything.

It might help a lot if the old farmers would retire. How many here made their money somewhere else before retiring to raise cattle? How many do it for property tax deduction? How many do it for a hobby. If you took all those cattle off the market there would be less supply. We've all seen what low supply follow drought can do to the value of cattle. Everyone worries about everyone getting out, selling out, land being used for something else. Less will create more for those willing to stick it out.
Just like any other business.

It might help a lot if the old farmers would retire. How many here made their money somewhere else before retiring to raise cattle? How many do it for property tax deduction? How many do it for a hobby. If you took all those cattle off the market there would be less supply. We've all seen what low supply follow drought can do to the value of cattle. Everyone worries about everyone getting out, selling out, land being used for something else. Less will create more for those willing to stick it out.
Just like any other business.
Some (actually a lot) have been getting out of cattle (livestock) for over 50 years. How has that worked out so far?
I like what SmallTimin said,"I wanted to be in cattle my whole life." Wanting and doing beats hell out of wishing and waiting.

Some (actually a lot) have been getting out of cattle (livestock) for over 50 years. How has that worked out so far?
I like what SmallTimin said,"I wanted to be in cattle my whole life." Wanting and doing beats hell out of wishing and waiting.
It went over your head. My post was in agreement with smalltime.
So you think the more competition the better. If you could explain that I'm all ears.

I'm pretty sure time itself is going to take care of the older folks gettin out of cattle..... I'm an example of it.
My wife and son made a quick round trip to Lampasas yesterday and put a full load into storage.
I had a dr appointment and didn't go.

1st load.jpg

I spent much of last week making boxes for my tools and most of my shop stuff is now boxed/crated and labeled but it will be among the last to go.

boxes.jpg

According to my cardiologist, I need to take it easy the rest of my days, so I guess I'm done with livestock.

I'm pretty sure time itself is going to take care of the older folks gettin out of cattle..... I'm an example of it.
My wife and son made a quick round trip to Lampasas yesterday and put a full load into storage.

View attachment 15100

I spent much of last week making boxes for my tools and most of my shop stuff is now boxed/crated and labeled but it will be among the last to go.

View attachment 15101

According to my cardiologist, I need to take it easy the rest of my days, so I guess I'm done with livestock.
A respectful salute to you Sir. LVR

View attachment 15100

View attachment 15101

Let me know next trip. I'll send a couple of hands to unload you. Seems like I owe you a dollar for something.

I think in agriculture, you either pick the area or the opportunity. I think if you are knowledgeable enough most places there is an opportunity to be had, but it may not be what you want to do. On the cattle side many of the chances for young people to find their niche start with knowledge of nutrition and utilization of feed sources.

View attachment 15100

View attachment 15101

Don't ignore what the Doc tells you. One of my best friends had a 6 bypass open heart surgery yesterday..

I probably could have used another word like 'perspective', but I meant about the land prices.
Why ? Am I wrong to be glad my land both bought and inherited is worth more money than it used to be. ??
As far as the 51 that I bought. I have no intention of selling it. But what if me my wife or one of my kids or grandkids got really sick. I've been without that land most of my life. I could sell it and not miss it. And raise enough cash to get through a pretty big storm in life . If I don't need it my kids might. I'm glad it's worth plenty. That's my perspective.
Since you told me America will be sorry about my perspective..... exactly how much should land cost???

Why ? Am I wrong to be glad my land both bought and inherited is worth more money than it used to be. ??
As far as the 51 that I bought. I have no intention of selling it. But what if me my wife or one of my kids or grandkids got really sick. I've been without that land most of my life. I could sell it and not miss it. And raise enough cash to get through a pretty big storm in life . If I don't need it my kids might. I'm glad it's worth plenty. That's my perspective.
Since you told me America will be sorry about my perspective..... exactly how much should land cost???
You are clearly too hot out of the gate on this for this to be a meaningful discussion, I shouldn't have rattled the cage. Have a good one.

You are clearly too hot out of the gate on this for this to be a meaningful discussion, I shouldn't have rattled the cage. Have a good one.
Well ok then lol.
I'll answer for ya.... nearly free if you're buying, a whole bunch if your selling.

Latest posts