What is with people

Help Support CattleToday:

Your guys roads have more than one lane in each direction? Left lane is for opposing traffic and occasionally passing round here.
The Interstate has 4 lanes (2 each way). That is the only one. The road I live on is one of the two roads in the county connecting the two east-west through roads in the county. It isn't paved. And if you meet someone you are both hitting the brakes and sneaking past each other. It isn't extra wide that is for sure.

In some states, like Texas, it's illegal to drive in the left lane. It is supposed to be for passing only. Not sure why the sporadic cutting over and other nonsense though.
People just don't want a car right behind them or to be too close to the car in front of them. By right behind or in front, I mean the customary 1 car length for every 10 mph. For them, that's too close, but most often, it becomes self defeating, as they go around a vehicle that like themselves, is running 5 mph over the speed limit so they aren't too close, then end up running up on someone driving the speed limit or just a couple of miles per hour slower than the speed limit, hence the leap frog action. and it soon becomes one long line of action; in-out, in-out, in & out of lanes. They like lots of room in front of themselves but can't stand it either and feel they're driving too slow......
Others, are just in a hurry, thinking they are saving boatloads of time doing it.

Well, that's one "law" I don't observe very often...as I pass one it on the the next...;)... Right lane is usually the most worn and rough lane to drive in. As long as nothing is coming up my rear I'll be in the left lane. As long as I'm not impeding traffic I'm picking the lane with the fewest potholes and the smoothest ride.

here in Iowa (idiots out wandering around) we seem to have more gravel roads than other states. we just drive in the center and move over to the right when we see someone coming from the other direction. no passing on gravel roads unless the person in front of you moves over so you have enough room to pass.

For many decades, and still to some extent today, it was very common for Texas drivers to move over onto the shoulder and keep driving to let someone pass, even on major roads that had 2 lanes in each direction. Nowadays, it's kinda frowned upon if not outright illegal. I still sometimes do it tho, just out of habit.

For many decades, and still to some extent today, it was very common for Texas drivers to move over onto the shoulder and keep driving to let someone pass, even on major roads that had 2 lanes in each direction. Nowadays, it's kinda frowned upon if not outright illegal. I still sometimes do it tho, just out of habit.
I have seen them pass on the shoulder in TX.

We were in Oklahoma once and on a long, straight stretch of road with some declining elevation so we could see for miles ahead of us... and there was a lot of oncoming traffic... and some guy way out in the distance was driving toward us in OUR lane. The people ahead of us were getting into the ditch so this guy could get by. Must have been ten cars or so we watched turn off onto the shoulder so the guy didn't hit them. And he was MOVING. We took the shoulder too, and he never slowed down until he was out of sight in our rear view mirror.

I drive offensively.
I'm offended by that...

I've been rear ended five times. And if it wasn't for my wife being in the car it would be a lot more. The thing that irks me more than anything else is when I'm in the left lane, passing cars that are going ten over the speed limit, and some big, lifted, truck climbs my bumper trying to get me to move over... and then they do it to the next, next, next guy ahead of me and in ten miles they've done it to twenty people and are only a couple hundred feet ahead of me.

I have seen them pass on the shoulder in TX.
Me too, but not out on the open highway, just in town where there are more crazy people, But, let a hurricane evacuation have traffic at a crawl, and some will drive down in the muddy ditch just to get ahead a few cars even on the interstates.

We were in Oklahoma once and on a long, straight stretch of road with some declining elevation so we could see for miles ahead of us... and there was a lot of oncoming traffic... and some guy way out in the distance was driving toward us in OUR lane. The people ahead of us were getting into the ditch so this guy could get by. Must have been ten cars or so we watched turn off onto the shoulder so the guy didn't hit them. And he was MOVING. We took the shoulder too, and he never slowed down until he was out of sight in our rear view mirror.
Probably Murray

By the book it is illegal to drive on the shoulder. It's also illegal to use you flashers if it's not an emergency and we use them to say... Thank you 😄

By the book it is illegal to drive on the shoulder. It's also illegal to use you flashers if it's not an emergency and we use them to say... Thank you 😄
Only once, it was tourist season and my buddy and I were late for a rodeo. We passed several lineups of tourists on the shoulder. We were 17 year old kids.

Latest posts