Cattle people/ farmers are getting old.

Help Support CattleToday:

This is part of the problem, it went up suddenly and drastically as a knee jerk to get people back to work and is negatively affecting value as a whole. Y'all keep acting like I'm blaming y'all and not a much larger set of institutions.
So 11.00 a hour isn't enough and 15.00 is to much. Lol. Your all over the place.

So 11.00 a hour isn't enough and 15.00 is to much. Lol. Your all over the place.
You didn't catch me right, but it's not that I have the perfect answer so much as it is I'm just barely smart enough (and have been an analyst by trade) to see the *wrong* answer.

If it had scaled for inflation, it would be around $11, and in theory QOL would be better as a spread because inflation (natural) wouldn't be on an independent course. Instead, it's (functionally) around $8, but after getting to sit on their asses for a year people weren't coming back to work for that and pay shot up to $12-$15 for a lot of entry jobs, and it happened nearly overnight and universally, and I know darn well you're smart enough to see how that wonks up value vs inflation when there was already a disparity.

Last edited:
You didn't catch me right, but it's not that I have the perfect answer so much as it is I'm just barely smart enough (and have been an analyst by trade) to see the *wrong* answer.

If it had scaled for inflation, it would be around $11, and in theory QOL would be better as a spread because inflation (natural) wouldn't be on an independent course. Instead, it's (functionally) around $8, but after getting to sit on their asses for a year people weren't coming back to work for that pay shot up to $12-$15 for a lot of entry jobs, and it happened nearly overnight and universally, and I know darn well you're smart enough to see how that wonks up value vs inflation when there was already a disparity.
You give me to much credit. I'm not that bright. I just work hard. Mostly just beat on stuff till the money falls out.

Just curious..are you by chance a millennial?
View attachment 15191
You already know the answer. I am a self hating millennial. I will point out that I'm pretty honest about being an idiot. I've even said that I'm pretty much just barely smart enough to get this economics thing. Everyone wants to make it an age thing, I'll be the first to say youth is no more a guarantee of innovation than age is of wisdom. I'm not blaming older people for these problems, I've already said it's an institutional thing. I blame the government, the banks, the corporations. List goes on.

I have worked in the intelligence community within the military for most of my adult life, I do have an analytical skillset. The numbers pencil badly, that's a fact.

Usually when I failed, I just blamed myself. Instead of the government, the banks, the corporations. But, I am a dolt, I guess.

New word I learned today. And learned that I am one. Life is good for this old dolt.:)
I haven't failed at much yet, I'm hoping my luck holds. Probably won't, but that's alright. I haven't gotten big enough to fail too hard yet, we got out of cattle a little after I enlisted, I've just been in crops and some horses and some slaughter animals here and there since. I usually hedge it so I'm not the only one eating the cost, wish I could keep doing that.

As far as the rest, if you're living a life where the fat powers that be aren't able to mess with you, I applaud you and wish you luck maintaining that. Unfortunately, they're pretty firmly lodged up the rear of most folks I know.

simme, I'm surprised at you. You old enough to know better. You're supposed to find something/anything/somebody to blame your failings on. Never accept personal responsibility for your station in life. It's a little known fact, that The Man keepin you down!
You see, there's this secret but vast conspiratorial group , born from Skull&Bones, the Bohemian Club, The Illuminati, The Freemasons, The Bilderbergs, The Loyal Order of Moose, The Rosicrucians, Scroll and Key, The Chinese Tong, and the followers of the High and Noble Dali Lama (among others) (New World order) to keep people from being able to buy and own property.
(I gotta sign off for a little while now and practice my secret handshake.. )

simme, I'm surprised at you. You old enough to know better. You're supposed to find something/anything/somebody to blame your failings on. Never accept personal responsibility for your station in life. It's a little known fact, that The Man keepin you down!
You see, there's this secret but vast conspiratorial group , born from Skull&Bones, the Bohemian Club, The Illuminati, The Freemasons, The Bilderbergs, The Loyal Order of Moose, The Rosicrucians, Scroll and Key, The Chinese Tong, and the followers of the High and Noble Dali Lama (among others) (New World order) to keep people from being able to buy and own property.
(I gotta sign off for a little while now and practice my secret handshake.. )
Not what I said, but I hope I also never lose my ability to rib people as I age. You're still sharp as a tack, I sincerely hope I age as gracefully.

Question: what exactly am I supposed to take responsibility for here? I have land, it's just not where I want to live and we want to preserve it as a wild space for hunting, so I'm not inflating the land prices. So... what part of us being up to $7k off the mark of naturally inflated land costs is on me again? You know, with the government artificially manipulating the economy for several years, banking and financial companies buying up rural properties as a hedge, and corporate concerns holding a larger sway in the market than myself... I must have done something wrong somewhere.

Last edited:
Not what I said, but I hope I also never lose my ability to rib people as I age. You're still sharp as a tack, I sincerely hope I age as gracefully.

Question: what exactly am I supposed to take responsibility for here? I have land, it's just not where I want to live and we want to preserve it as a wild space for hunting, so I'm not inflating the land prices. So... what part of us being up to $7k off the mark of naturally inflated land costs is on me again? You know, with the government artificially manipulating the economy for several years, banking and financial companies buying up rural properties as a hedge, and corporate concerns holding a larger sway in the market than myself... I must have done something wrong somewhere.
So your hoarding land as a private hunting preserve instead raising food to feed the starving masses???you should sell that land to a young aspiring farmer for pennies on the dollar. Think of the children for Pete's sake.

So your hoarding land as a private hunting preserve instead raising food to feed the starving masses???you should sell that land to a young aspiring farmer for pennies on the dollar. Think of the children for Pete's sake.
Not what I said, yet again. Lmao. It's okay, man, you can disagree with cold hard statistics all you want. The thread is about how to get more young people involved in ag, I'm discussing the primary barrier for most. Y'all keep acting like I'm blaming y'all, which I haven't. Have a good day or get bent, whichever suits you best.

Not what I said, yet again. Lmao. It's okay, man, you can disagree with cold hard statistics all you want. The thread is about how to get more young people involved in ag, I'm discussing the primary barrier for most. Y'all keep acting like I'm blaming y'all, which I haven't. Have a good day or get bent, whichever suits you best.
You might want to develop a hide thick enough to deflect some semi friendly jokes on you . Or just start name calling again. I understand you said it was genetics...

You might want to develop a hide thick enough to deflect some semi friendly jokes on you . Or just start name calling again. I understand you said it was genetics...
Kind of hard to tell tone and intent with just words. When I develop that superpower I'll give seminars on developing it for a nominal sum.

Latest posts