Black Limo's

Help Support CattleToday:

maplelanefarms_ont

Reaction score
Just wondering how many people have Black Limo's. What did you think of them we have 4 black limos now and they seem to be a different cow all together from the red Limos, Just their comformation and such.

Her's a Pic of one of our cows, well you can't see much of the cow but you can see her calf, the calf is 2 days old. The Calf still has to be registered but the cow is.

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/maplelanefarms_ont/detail?.dir=e0ff&.dnm=810b.jpg

Melissa

Caustic Burno":a35wpr2l said:
Well I guess they are different being crossbreeds. Angus counterfiets.

How dare you try and stir the pot CB! You know dang well those calves might grow up to be "Certified Angus Beef"! :lol:

MikeC":22s0wdvk said:
Caustic Burno":22s0wdvk said:

How dare you try and stir the pot CB! You know dang well those calves might grow up to be "Certified Angus Beef"! :lol:

Not in Canada they won't.

Bez!

MikeC":3ec17mku said:
Caustic Burno":3ec17mku said:

Limos are to be ridden in; not eaten. :)

I have all red limousins now but i will be buying some black limousins in a few months.
Curtis

Caustic Burno":226w5v0c said:
. I will repeat what I Have said before , I have never seen a limi calf that didnt out perform any angus sired calf I have ever seen. I have an angus calf here now out of a bull that was shown and sold in Denver in 2003 from the Leachman herd and from a SAF Nuetron daughter.My limi calves are smoking him in growth.I know the angus cant help it but its true.

We like the Red Limos and the Black. We don't have any Angus here. But it is true at the county fairs and shows the Angus steers always win over any other breed regardless of what other breeds are in the show. Some people just assume the black Limos are Black Angus, these are the people in the stands watching.

Its hard for us to compare with Angus since we have none to compare but we find the Crossbred Limo/Herford do just as good.

Melissa

my family has uaed limo. bulls sine the late 80's mostly red but we have used some blacks and we love the results we get. best of luck to ya.

polledbull":bmrlofo9 said:
Caustic Burno":bmrlofo9 said:
. I will repeat what I Have said before , I have never seen a limi calf that didnt out perform any angus sired calf I have ever seen. I have an angus calf here now out of a bull that was shown and sold in Denver in 2003 from the Leachman herd and from a SAF Nuetron daughter.My limi calves are smoking him in growth.I know the angus cant help it but its true.

Bologna. Maybe you should take some time to look further than just what you've seen.

Here's a link to Oklahoma Beef, Inc. (OBI) performance bull testing station. Take some time to compare ADG, Yearling Weights, scrotal measurements, and whatever else your're interested in. You'll see that generally Angus perform better than Limousin across the board. In fact just in the years we've been testing our bulls, the number of Limousin breeders performace testing their bulls has dropped off dramatically. Why? Because head to head they can't compete with the Angus ability to gain.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/exten/OBI/test_results.htm

Frankie, I'm ashamed of you for using that little bull test to judge a whole breed of cattle on! I looked up lot's of bull test data from different tests across the U.S. and Canada and it looks like the Angus and Limo's are pretty neck and neck across the board.

Your very unscientific bias is so very obvious. ;-)

Frankie wrote:
Bologna. Maybe you should take some time to look further than just what you've seen.

Here's a link to Oklahoma Beef, Inc. (OBI) performance bull testing station. Take some time to compare ADG, Yearling Weights, scrotal measurements, and whatever else your're interested in. You'll see that generally Angus perform better than Limousin across the board. In fact just in the years we've been testing our bulls, the number of Limousin breeders performace testing their bulls has dropped off dramatically. Why? Because head to head they can't compete with the Angus ability to gain.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/exten/OBI/test_results.htm

Curious that the Angus breed has the best marketing and is therefore the largest most recognized breed. However, according to the October 7th issue of Cattle Fax Update there is an article titled, "Quality Grade and Yield Grad Data Sends Mixed Results." According to Cattle Fax the number of YG 4 cattle continues to increase and has set a new high each year in Nebraska, Kansas, and Texas since 2001. Also, the number of cattle grading choice or higher during the same time frame has remained relatively flat in Nebraska and Kansas and actually decreased in Texas. By 2010 YG 4 cattle will reach 12%. Since Angus is so dominant why are cattle not getting better as more people go the Angus route? Could it be that no single breed can be the answer?

edb130":1ir34sc7 said:
Since Angus is so dominant why are cattle not getting better as more people go the Angus route? Could it be that no single breed can be the answer?

Yes, no single breed is the answer. Why then, are so many other breeds trying to make themselves like Angus? Black Simi, Char. etc. bulls. Seems like some other breeds have taken a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" attitude. I don't have a problem if another breed wants to make themselves more Angus like, but don't turn the sword on the original...

At least there are some breeds that appear content with themselves, and aren't trying to put on makeup to look like Angus: Herefords, Brahman, Gerts, MG's .

cypressfarms":2bpj2t8k said:
edb130":2bpj2t8k said:
Since Angus is so dominant why are cattle not getting better as more people go the Angus route? Could it be that no single breed can be the answer?

Yes, no single breed is the answer. Why then, are so many other breeds trying to make themselves like Angus? Black Simi, Char. etc. bulls. Seems like some other breeds have taken a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" attitude. I don't have a problem if another breed wants to make themselves more Angus like, but don't turn the sword on the original...

At least there are some breeds that appear content with themselves, and aren't trying to put on makeup to look like Angus: Herefords, Brahman, Gerts, MG's .

Perhaps, because of the incredible marketing the Angus breed has done and continues to do which makes folks "think" that hides have to be black to have good beef???? so breeders try to make their cattle black to cash in on that marketing????

CKC1586":3l49as46 said:
Perhaps, because of the incredible marketing the Angus breed has done and continues to do which makes folks "think" that hides have to be black to have good beef???? so breeders try to make their cattle black to cash in on that marketing????

Exactly.

But variety is the spice of life, right?
I loath the day when longhorns are polled and black, and murrey grays are murrey blacks.

cypressfarms":1cv1gbpa said:
CKC1586":1cv1gbpa said:

Exactly.

I loath the day when longhorns are polled and black, and murrey grays are murrey blacks.

Yup, agree. I do think it is important to protect the integrity of each breed.

CKC1586":3qbdt6l6 said:
cypressfarms":3qbdt6l6 said:
CKC1586":3qbdt6l6 said:

Exactly.

Cypressfarms...........Just because there are a few, very few black and red Chars in Canada does not make a whole breed trying to turn themselves into Angus. You will not see a registered "Black" Char bull in the U.S. I cannot speak for the Sims but your reference to Chars is out of line.

CK...............Why do you think it is important to protect the integrity of each breed? Just curious why you feel this way. Is it because there is so much "Mongrelizing" going on?

The object of the cattle game is to grow consumer demand by making beef a better buy than pork or chicken and make it profitable to do so. While we are here arguing "Breeds" the chicken folks (not necessarily the growers) are laughing all the way to the bank.

All of the MARC data to date points to a crossbred combination being the most profitable way for us to do it. But most people that crossbreed do not have a systematic program to do so.

MikeC":nxfw8f1e said:
CKC1586":nxfw8f1e said:
cypressfarms":nxfw8f1e said:
CKC1586":nxfw8f1e said:

Exactly.

Cypressfarms...........Just because there are a few, very few black and red Chars in Canada does not make a whole breed trying to turn themselves into Angus. You will not see a registered "Black" Char bull in the U.S. I cannot speak for the Sims but your reference to Chars is out of line.

CK...............Why do you think it is important to protect the integrity of each breed? Just curious why you feel this way. Is it because there is so much "Mongrelizing" going on?

The object of the cattle game is to grow consumer demand by making beef a better buy than pork or chicken and make it profitable to do so. While we are here arguing "Breeds" the chicken folks (not necessarily the growers) are laughing all the way to the bank.

All of the MARC data to date points to a crossbred combination being the most profitable way for us to do it. But most people that crossbreed do not have a systematic program to do so.

I feel that each breed has their own significant trait that can offer to improve a breed when used to cross. I feel it is important to protect the fullbloods so that they do not get "mongrelized" as you put it. If we protect our specific breeds won't that make them better for crosses? Why does a breed have to be turned black to be considered improved? Why aren't we more concerned with improving the genetics of our specific breeds. I recall what happened to the Quarter Horses when they allowed for TB influenced animals to be registered AQHA. I loved the old bulldog type QH, they don't even resemble them anymore. Now I guess there is going to be Paint Quarter Horses too??? We are trying to produce a product, beef. Last I knew we don't eat the hide and when that hide is off, I doubt if many of us could tell you what color that animal had been.

Latest posts