Black Limo's

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586":tgtxgnwd said:
MikeC":tgtxgnwd said:
cypressfarms":tgtxgnwd said:
Perhaps, because of the incredible marketing the Angus breed has done and continues to do which makes folks "think" that hides have to be black to have good beef???? so breeders try to make their cattle black to cash in on that marketing????

Exactly.

But variety is the spice of life, right?
I loath the day when longhorns are polled and black, and murrey grays are murrey blacks.

Yup, agree. I do think it is important to protect the integrity of each breed.

Cypressfarms...........Just because there are a few, very few black and red Chars in Canada does not make a whole breed trying to turn themselves into Angus. You will not see a registered "Black" Char bull in the U.S. I cannot speak for the Sims but your reference to Chars is out of line.

CK...............Why do you think it is important to protect the integrity of each breed? Just curious why you feel this way. Is it because there is so much "Mongrelizing" going on?

The object of the cattle game is to grow consumer demand by making beef a better buy than pork or chicken and make it profitable to do so. While we are here arguing "Breeds" the chicken folks (not necessarily the growers) are laughing all the way to the bank.

All of the MARC data to date points to a crossbred combination being the most profitable way for us to do it. But most people that crossbreed do not have a systematic program to do so.

I feel that each breed has their own significant trait that can offer to improve a breed when used to cross. I feel it is important to protect the fullbloods so that they do not get "mongrelized" as you put it. If we protect our specific breeds won't that make them better for crosses? Why does a breed have to be turned black to be considered improved? Why aren't we more concerned with improving the genetics of our specific breeds. I recall what happened to the Quarter Horses when they allowed for TB influenced animals to be registered AQHA. I loved the old bulldog type QH, they don't even resemble them anymore. Now I guess there is going to be Paint Quarter Horses too??? We are trying to produce a product, beef. Last I knew we don't eat the hide and when that hide is off, I doubt if many of us could tell you what color that animal had been.

Well put, better watch out for the Frakenstien Breeders be after with that thought process.

"Frankenstein" is so blinded with "Bias" its thought process tends to be downright predictable and hilarious, don't they?

There is a place for all breeds of cattle if used correctly. Well, maybe not a couple. :lol:

MikeC":coffcw1q said:
"Frankenstein" is so blinded with "Bias" its thought process tends to be downright predictable and hilarious, don't they?

There is a place for all breeds of cattle if used correctly. Well, maybe not a couple. :lol:

I agree!

MikeC":27q8y098 said:
Cypressfarms...........Just because there are a few, very few black and red Chars in Canada does not make a whole breed trying to turn themselves into Angus. You will not see a registered "Black" Char bull in the U.S. I cannot speak for the Sims but your reference to Chars is out of line.

Perhaps you are correct, but there definitely seems to be a trend to Angusize many breeds to get on the bandwagon. By this I mean to go black. I just think that it does so to the detriment of the respective breed.

I happen to like many breeds, and I hope these will always be around as a choice to use (an extra tool). Example: I like tigers, but without good herefords and brahmans how ya gonna get those valuable tiger momas? Same with black baldies; I like them as cows, but you can't have a black baldie without a good hereford and either an angus or brangus. (I guess technically a black baldy could be the result of any black cow crossed with a hereford bull) I believe there is a time and a situation for almost every breed; I'd hate to see them compromise their breed to "go black".

Cypressfarms wrote:
Perhaps you are correct, but there definitely seems to be a trend to Angusize many breeds to get on the bandwagon. By this I mean to go black. I just think that it does so to the detriment of the respective breed.

I happen to like many breeds, and I hope these will always be around as a choice to use (an extra tool). Example: I like tigers, but without good herefords and brahmans how ya gonna get those valuable tiger momas? Same with black baldies; I like them as cows, but you can't have a black baldie without a good hereford and either an angus or brangus. (I guess technically a black baldy could be the result of any black cow crossed with a hereford bull) I believe there is a time and a situation for almost every breed; I'd hate to see them compromise their breed to "go black".

Cypress when I posted the cattle fax data it was to point out that Angus has done such a good job marketing that it has grown to the point where it is the dominant breed and that too many breeders are trying to follow the Angus trend. I think each breed has its strengths and weaknesses including Angus. No breed is perfect and if purebred breeders work to improve their own breeds traits than commercial cattlemen can incorporate more of those breeds to improve their commercial Angus operations and improve the end user product which is good for all beef producers. As to whether a purebred breeder wants to incorporate black into their operation that is not necessarily following the Angus trend, rather that bull might offer something that breeder is looking for in his own operation to improve his cattle in a certain genetic trait. In saying that most breeders probably breed black to follow the Angus trend, but not all.

CKC1586":2plydlbw said:
Perhaps, because of the incredible marketing the Angus breed has done and continues to do which makes folks "think" that hides have to be black to have good beef???? so breeders try to make their cattle black to cash in on that marketing????
Perhaps the other breed assns. should get off their asses and try to market the beef from their respective breeds instead if wait for the Angus people to do it for them and then brag about it in one breath and bitche about the Angus in the next breath.

MikeC":2za07byt said:
Frankie, I'm ashamed of you for using that little bull test to judge a whole breed of cattle on! I looked up lot's of bull test data from different tests across the U.S. and Canada and it looks like the Angus and Limo's are pretty neck and neck across the board.

Your very unscientific bias is so very obvious. ;-)

The claim was " I have never seen a limi calf that didnt out perform any angus sired calf I have ever seen."

The OBI link shows differently. There was no claim on either part for "scientific" observations.

Little bull test? OBI is the second largest testing station in the US. :lol:

Why don't you post a link to your bull test station and let's look at Angus as well as Chars, Simmentals, and Limousin.

la4angus":1p5m6olg said:
CKC1586":1p5m6olg said:
Perhaps the other breed assns. should get off their asses and try to market the beef from their respective breeds instead if wait for the Angus people to do it for them and then brag about it in one breath and bitche about the Angus in the next breath.

Ain't that the truth.

la4angus":1svo2qar said:
CKC1586":1svo2qar said:

...well I was wondering when the attack would begin...

CKC1586":2a7dfn8n said:
...well I was wondering when the attack would begin...
When ever you're ready. The Angus and Hereford people have been real quiet llistening to the rest of you with your draft animals ridicule the them.

CKC1586":2ohjnjsg said:
listen here fella, I have never ridiculed anyone on here. Can you say the same thing??
You're not the only one one on here with draft animals trying to pass them off as Angus.

la4angus":nccfc0sl said:
CKC1586":nccfc0sl said:
listen here fella, I have never ridiculed anyone on here. Can you say the same thing??
You're not the only one one on here with draft animals trying to pass them off as Angus.

I do not own a black animal. I do not have any draft animals. I take offence at your tone. I have never tried to "pass off" anything to anyone.
What a shame that in order to make yourself feel big you must belittle others.

CKC1586":3doqc5vn said:
I do not own a black animal. I do not have any draft animals. I take offence at your tone. I have never tried to "pass off" anything to anyone.
Like I said bfore, you aren't the only person on here raising draft animals, and I don't like your tone either.

la4angus":2jkni63e said:
CKC1586":2jkni63e said:
Like I said bfore, you aren't the only person on here raising draft animals, and I don't like your tone either.
Again, I do not raise draft animals.

la4angus":2vkine3b said:
CKC1586":2vkine3b said:

Maybe some of the other Associations have more scruples than to perpetuate a "Myth"?

Frankie":3plt0x2e said:
MikeC":3plt0x2e said:
Frankie, I'm ashamed of you for using that little bull test to judge a whole breed of cattle on! I looked up lot's of bull test data from different tests across the U.S. and Canada and it looks like the Angus and Limo's are pretty neck and neck across the board.

Your very unscientific bias is so very obvious. ;-)

The claim was " I have never seen a limi calf that didnt out perform any angus sired calf I have ever seen."

The OBI link shows differently. There was no claim on either part for "scientific" observations.

Little bull test? OBI is the second largest testing station in the US. :lol:

Why don't you post a link to your bull test station and let's look at Angus as well as Chars, Simmentals, and Limousin.

And he STILL has not seen an angus outperform a limi calf!

The OBI link shows differently.

In your small little world.

Why don't you post a link to your bull test station and let's look at Angus as well as Chars, Simmentals, and Limousin

Do your own homework. Still wouldn't make the blind see.

We have some limi's red and black. The calves are big when born, if that's a plus then that is the Only plus I see in limi's. Very poor fleshing ability, poor immune systems, poor calves all around. They never have impressed me a bit. The angus calves that are born at the same time quickly outgrow them. As far as comparing the red to black I will always say the blacks are more even tempered. Don't ask me why the red's are so hot blooded. In a nutshell I hate em, red and black. Won't waste a nickle on another single head.

bif!

We have some limi's red and black. The calves are big when born, if that's a plus then that is the Only plus I see in limi's. Very poor fleshing ability, poor immune systems, poor calves all around. They never have impressed me a bit. The angus calves that are born at the same time quickly outgrow them. As far as comparing the red to black I will always say the blacks are more even tempered. Don't ask me why the red's are so hot blooded. In a nutshell I hate em, red and black. Won't waste a nickle on another single head.

bif!

I have both black and red limousin cattle. The red are the only one's I can walk up to in the field and pet. The black are not excitable but I can't pet them. IMO each breed has its strength and weaknesses. Each breeder also has their own strengths and weaknesses. One breed may work for one breeder and not for another. Isn't that why there are so many breeds and breeders? The strengths of one breed does not by necessity denigrate another breed. I find it interesting that when someone posts about a breed of their choice other than Angus, someone has to bring angus into it and then people start tearing down other peoples breed. I'm happy with Limousin, I looked at other breeds and chose Limousin for my own reasons. Being a salesman I've found that too often if you are with no 1 you have no place to go but down. That may not be true if I had bought Angus but it was one of my reasons. If someone wants to harp at a particular breed including mine, they are welcome to. Won't change the fact that people in every breed can make money or can go broke. Too often its the breeder and not the breed.

Latest posts