Black Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

It was in the Florida Cattleman, but I'm sure it was sponsored by Red Angus Assoc. Using Angus genetics in our trop climate with greater heat tolerance.

That makes sense to me as well. Up here where it is cold in winter, the blacks would absorb more heat. I quite often see my lighter colored cows looking for shelter while the blacks are out eating in the winter time.

If in the Brahmas, red is a recessive color, you could easily get a red calf from two grey brahmas. I don't have brahmas but I have a white galloway cow with black points that throws white calves with black points and it doesn't seem to matter what bull you put on her. She has been bred to a black galloway, hereford and black angus. In your case the genetics in your bull and cow must be GRgr where GR is Grey and gr is not grey (=red)

therefore your F1 cross would be GRgr x GRgr =25%GRGR 50% GRgr
and 25% grgr (red)

If you breed them back again, you still have a 25% chance that calf will be red but a 75% chance it will be grey.

Black Herefords...NO SUCH THING!!! what they are calling a black hereford is a black baldie. The American Hereford Assoc will never accept the so called black hereford. What a crock

Try a google search for Black Hereford Association. It's a breed they are a seperate registry. Similiar to black and Red angus

Jake":3shzjblh said:
Try a google search for Black Hereford Association. It's a breed they are a seperate registry. Similiar to black and Red angus

i think the previous poster knows this but was trying to say that the black hereford is nothing more than a crossbred or a composite. it is not like the angus and red angus associations........the red angus are black angus w/the red recessive gene for color. black herefords are herefords that have been crossed w/angus.

Who knows what will happen.
I hope that you are right.
It is time to quit breeding for Color and Breed for Quality.
Let the junk fall where it may.
Don't call an animal an Angus just because it is Black.

Most of the time red is recessive in Brahman but not always. So reds are dominant. Would have to know the pedigrees of the bull and cow to see where the red came from.

If it is a newborn calf many times they are born a brownish red that will later change to gray. Sometimes they just have a redish poll. This is seen a lot in animals with a lot of Guzerat blood.

bob":12e9sn4n said:
I got a red brahman from two gray brahmans can you explain this

Found this regarding the color of calf affectng price done in Arkansas a while back, kinda interesting:

Color

The color of the calf affects selling price (Table 6). Yellow colored calves ($96.47) brought a higher selling price compared to all other calf colors. Spotted or striped calves ($83.34) brought the lowest price. Yellow-white face ($95.65) and black-white face ($95.23) calves tended to be similar in value, but the price for black-white face calves did not differ from the price of white calves ($94.93). Unlike breed or breed combinations, most colors were different from each other.

Table 6. The Average Selling Price for Feeder Cattle Based on Calf Color
Calf Color Average Selling Price (Value/cwt.)
Deviation From Overall Calf Color Average (Value/cwt.)

yellow $96.47 a $2.78
yellow-white face $95.65 b $1.96
black-white face $95.23 b,c $1.54
white $94.93 c $1.24
black $94.29 d $0.60
red $92.74 e -$0.95
gray $91.85 f -$1.84
red-white face $91.81 f,g -$1.88
gray-white face $91.73 g -$1.96
spotted or striped $83.84 h -$9.85
a,b,c,d…h Means without a common superscript differ (P < 0.01).

http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publica ... A-3056.asp

You have to look at the
Weight
Quality
Frame
Flesh
Health
There is a lot more than looking at animal and saying it is one color or another so it is worth more or less.
Lets get real.

la4angus said:
Who knows what will happen.
I hope that you are right.
It is time to quit breeding for Color and Breed for Quality.
Let the junk fall where it may.
Don't call an animal an Angus just because it is Black.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~hey la4anus, tell that to your cab boys!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tc

Some of our marketing group members went up to IA and into NE on a week long tour of feedots and alked with owners/managers and viewed a lot of cattle and facilities.
Several of the feedlots in IA were all red some a mixture of red and black, very few with any Hereford look to them. Several of them won't tough a Hereford or baldy. Some were almost entirely black. The primarily black places said they prefer them because of the possible extra income from CAB. They're willing to gamble that a percentage of them will make CAB and that those that do will more then make up for the extra they had to pay for those that didn't make it. We didn't discuss much about NE other then there is a feedlot that the calves are all in a entirely enclosed building.
They dropped through KS and found that there they liked the baldy calves over most anything else.
They all universally agreed that nervous cattle are a pain in the butt and don't make them any money. Most of them will seperate out the dingbats and feed them seperatly from the others. That helps the calmer cattle gain and finish younger/sooner/cheaper.
The part that I found interesting was the variation between what particular feedlots like.
I guess what it all goes back to is know your market. If the primary feedlot buying calves in your area want green with pink spots you need to get hot at developing that color pattern. The feeders aren't going to buy something that they won't make money on. It may be the greatest potload of calves that ever drew a breath, but if they can't market them to the slaughterhouse they don't want them. BTW, one of the feedlots finished second in the Angus carcass competition. They had a pen of steers, the winner was a pen of heifers. I've heard about this over the years but I don't know how it works or what it is. Maybe some of the blk Angus folks could enlighten.

dun

txag":1kdrwkye said:
Jake":1kdrwkye said:

i think the previous poster knows this but was trying to say that the black hereford is nothing more than a crossbred or a composite. it is not like the angus and red angus associations........the red angus are black angus w/the red recessive gene for color. black herefords are herefords that have been crossed w/angus.

That is what I meant. Sorry I didn't post back sooner my good computer at home has a problem that won't let me type. So I might be a while posting because I'll have to diagnose the problem and that probably won't be til after spring break when I get back from Arizona.

Latest posts