Black Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

I can see that a double black hereford as described above would give you black baldies off your red angus cows. Otherwise I think a black hereford would pass as a black baldy and nothing more. With all you guys thinking red is the right color, I think they may have been a little slow getting this breed out. Red herefords and red baldies will probably be more popular.

Even I don't agree on black hided cattle when its traditional color isn't black I'll make a suggestion of the Black Charolais guy. If he does not fullfill the demand he should began with an Embryo Transfer Program, just common sense.

Give me a Black Angus herd and in 2 generations I will have an all red herd. To breed out the black gene just retain the red. To breed out red retain black and pray that they do not carry the red gene. Black and black do not always produce black. Don't get me wrong I like Angus both Red and Black but it was the Black Angus association that tried for decades to breed out the reds. There are still Black Angus that carry the red gene but try to find one "Red" Angus that carries the black gene.

la4angus":1x8dxgzb said:
Tod
There was many breeders trying to breed out the black gene. But It could not be done. For several decades there have been many prominent breeeders breeding Red Angus and they have done a very good job of breeding an excellent beef animal.

Tod Dague":26jzs642 said:
Give me a Black Angus herd and in 2 generations I will have an all red herd. To breed out the black gene just retain the red. To breed out red retain black and pray that they do not carry the red gene. Black and black do not always produce black. Don't get me wrong I like Angus both Red and Black but it was the Black Angus association that tried for decades to breed out the reds. There are still Black Angus that carry the red gene but try to find one "Red" Angus that carries the black gene.

la4angus":26jzs642 said:
Tod
There was many breeders trying to breed out the black gene. But It could not be done. For several decades there have been many prominent breeeders breeding Red Angus and they have done a very good job of breeding an excellent beef animal.

Excuse me, Tod. Are you saying there are no Red Angus that carry a black gene?

If it's a Red Angus and carries a black gene a black Angus got in with the cow somehow and that Red Angus is black.

dun

Frankie":tjqplg1f said:
Tod Dague":tjqplg1f said:

la4angus":tjqplg1f said:
Tod

dun":2nlt4aft said:
If it's a Red Angus and carries a black gene a black Angus got in with the cow somehow and that Red Angus is black.

dun

Frankie":2nlt4aft said:
Tod Dague":2nlt4aft said:

la4angus":2nlt4aft said:
Tod

If a red angus carries a black gene, it will be black. You will never get a black calf from two red animals.

Exactly.

Anonymous":foma59kl said:
dun":foma59kl said:

dun

Frankie":foma59kl said:
Tod Dague":foma59kl said:

la4angus":foma59kl said:
Tod

If a red angus carries a black gene, it will be black. You will never get a black calf from two red animals.

Tod Dague":3b8q4b6f said:
Exactly.

Anonymous":3b8q4b6f said:
dun":3b8q4b6f said:

dun

Frankie":3b8q4b6f said:
Tod Dague":3b8q4b6f said:

la4angus":3b8q4b6f said:
Tod

But some registered Red Angus carry a black gene.

Anonymous":2zviwfa4 said:
Frankie":2zviwfa4 said:

Nope. If they have a black gene, they will be black. Black is dominant!

Are you sure? To be a registered Angus, the animal must be black, but it's my understanding that the animal only has to have one red gene to be registered as Red Angus. That means their color could be black, but registered as Red Angus? Tod??? Dun??? Anyone???

Frankie":3t1qx7xt said:
Anonymous":3t1qx7xt said:
Frankie":3t1qx7xt said:

Are you sure? To be a registered Angus, the animal must be black, but it's my understanding that the animal only has to have one red gene to be registered as Red Angus. That means their color could be black, but registered as Red Angus? Tod??? Dun??? Anyone???
There are 4 Categories in the Red Angus Association of America:

Category 1A

Category 1B

Category II

Category III

What is required for registration in each of these categories?

Category 1A

To be eligible for Category 1A registration, calves must be 100 percent Red Angus. The calf must be solid red in color and polled with no disqualifying characteristics (See Rules and Regulations, Section C4). Birthdate, permanent tattoo, and actual weaning weight and date weighed are required.

Category 1B

To be eligible for Category 1B registration, calves must be from 87 percent to and including less than 100 percent Red Angus and the parents must be registered. The calf must be solid red in color and polled with no disqualifying characteristics (See Rules and Regulations, Section C4). Birth date, permanent tattoo, and actual weaning weight and date weighed are required.

Category II

To be eligible for Category II, calves must be equal to or greater than 87% up to and including 100% Red Angus blood content having one or more disqualifying characteristics. (See Rules and Regulations, Section C5).

Category III

Calves that are less than 87% Red Angus blood content. (See Rules and Regulations,Section C6).

This is from the Red Angus Association of America

To be registered as Red Angus either 1A or 1B they must be solid red

dun

Frankie":2zyzwmop said:
Anonymous":2zyzwmop said:
Frankie":2zyzwmop said:

Frankie
I was originally responding to Ia4angus's post that many breeders were trying to breed out black but could not (see the post below from Ia4angus). My whole point that it was exactly opposite. The Angus association has tried unsuccessfully to breed out the reds for decades. The Red Angus Association does allow the registration of black animals because we were never on a campaign to eliminate one color or the other as the Angus Association tried to do. The black gene has to be introduced from an outside source such as a black angus. A true "Red" Angus will never throw a black animal unless breed to a black animal. A black animal could throw a red calf if breed to a red or black animal depending on the hidden genetics so it is much easier to breed out black than breed out red. I'm not saying that red is better than black just trying to correct a misunderstanding.

Tod

Frankie":1lq5fsdv said:
Tod Dague":1lq5fsdv said:
Exactly.

Anonymous":1lq5fsdv said:
dun":1lq5fsdv said:

dun

Frankie":1lq5fsdv said:
Tod Dague":1lq5fsdv said:

la4angus":1lq5fsdv said:
Tod

Tod
It is my mistake.I said that they were trying to breed out the black gene and I meant to type in that the Black Angus Breeders were trying to breed out the Red Gene. My mistake. As I said they were not able to do it.

Not a problem. We conservatives have to stick together.
Tod

WIN BUSH WIN

la4angus":3sulgp7e said:
Tod
It is my mistake.I said that they were trying to breed out the black gene and I meant to type in that the Black Angus Breeders were trying to breed out the Red Gene. My mistake. As I said they were not able to do it.

la4angus":ueifp6va said:
Tod

But we're not through yet :D When an animal is identified as carrying the red gene, the AAA publishes it's name and reg #. I won't use a bull that I know carries that gene. So we'll get there. In looking through the Genex catalog, some Red Angus bulls seem to be an odd color, Mr. Beef, Precision 7408, maybe Southern King, and Buster. IMO, those bulls aren't red. They aren't black either, but I wonder if they're bred to a cow of the same color what sort of calf they'd get? Anyone tried that? Here's the Genex catalog: http://cridata.crinet.com/beef/index.ph ... us&lang=EN The Precision bull is a grandson of a very popular Angus bull GAR Precision 1680, known for good feed efficiency and carcass.

You seem to be awfully concerned about color.

[/quote]

But we're not through yet :D When an animal is identified as carrying the red gene, the AAA publishes it's name and reg #. I won't use a bull that I know carries that gene. So we'll get there. In looking through the Genex catalog, some Red Angus bulls seem to be an odd color, Mr. Beef, Precision 7408, maybe Southern King, and Buster. IMO, those bulls aren't red. They aren't black either, but I wonder if they're bred to a cow of the same color what sort of calf they'd get? Anyone tried that? Here's the Genex catalog: http://cridata.crinet.com/beef/index.ph ... us&lang=EN The Precision bull is a grandson of a very popular Angus bull GAR Precision 1680, known for good feed efficiency and carcass.[/quote]

I have heard that during hot summer months, the skin temp. of the Red Angus will be as high as 160 degrees, as compared to 180 degrees on the Black Angus.
I do not know this to be fact and was wondering if anyone else may have heard of this or know of something to this effect. Tod this may be worth checking out.

WIN BUSH WIN

Have you seen the Red Angus advertisement that shows a black skillet with fried eggs, and a red skillet with raw eggs in it? My cows head for a giant oak tree when it gets that hot, and re-emerge to graze all night instead.

Latest posts