Black Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

Diehard40

Reaction score
Saw my first registered black hereford cattle the other day. They looked fairly well. Of course the resembled a lot of black baldies i've seen in the past :lol:

Diehard40":2giq5q1p said:
...Of course the resembled a lot of black baldies i've seen in the past :lol:

They'll do that :lol:

Ryan

you could do a search and find more than you'd probably ever want to read... its been discussed, in depth, multiple times...

Just what the world needs another breed of cattle with blacks. IMO too many breeds have fallen into the black hide trend. They are falling into a trap that will cost their identity as a distinguished breed. It is not that i have a hate on for angus or blacks, just that breeds need to preserve their own identity. In my own breed the black thing is getting big, i think that color should be the one of the last things a breeder should look at. I know when i am buying breeding stock color is not a big selection factor, i would rather have a good quality animal a poor one of a paricular color. I saw what happened in the hereford breed with the perfection bull years ago, those same breeders will have a huge problem with anyone trying to use word hereford in association with blacks and calling them black herefords and starting a registry. When who ever is involved tries to promote black herefords i see legal problems.

skcatlman":3qe9137x said:
Just what the world needs another breed of cattle with blacks. IMO too many breeds have fallen into the black hide trend. They are falling into a trap that will cost their identity as a distinguished breed. It is not that i have a hate on for angus or blacks, just that breeds need to preserve their own identity. In my own breed the black thing is getting big, i think that color should be the one of the last things a breeder should look at. I know when i am buying breeding stock color is not a big selection factor, i would rather have a good quality animal a poor one of a paricular color. I saw what happened in the hereford breed with the perfection bull years ago, those same breeders will have a huge problem with anyone trying to use word hereford in association with blacks and calling them black herefords and starting a registry. When who ever is involved tries to promote black herefords i see legal problems.

I agree. I have nothing against Angus cattle, but I would love to see cattle breeds keep their traditional colors. Now almost every breed has a black option? I can't stand the thought of a black Charolais :( .

I go past several feeder places,and all the cattle are different colors..White,black ,spotted all colors..don't know if this is tipical,but they'r real pretty on the green grass..

cowboyup216":3tfifqsn said:
Sorry mountainfamchar that you cant stand the thought of a black charolais but they are out there. I even saw an add in the local paper here in tennessee for some black hided chars registered heifers no less.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/circlex/blacks.htm

http://www.laueranch.com/charolais.html

http://www.siredirect.com/blkcharolais/about.htm

Are we having fun yet?

I just can't accept those animals as Charolais :frowns: . I'm just too traditional I guess :nod: .

I don't see anything wrong with having a black Charolais.

The advantage is for the owner to use him because of the dominance of the black gene, making a crop of calves more visually uniform.

The Black Char registration papers are not the same as the white herd. The paper will be designated as such and are a different color as the white cow's/bull's papers.

I don't see anything wrong with a black hereford either, just as long as the buyer is getting what he paid for.

If the genetic trends go for cattle as they have for hogs, there won't be any "Purebreds" going into the food chain anyway.

I dont see a problem with the trend to go black for the commercial cattleman, in fact I like it. I do agree the various breed organizations should attempt to retain and promote thier breeds unique benefits rather than try to copy a visual aspect of another.

MikeC":2wwexs6q said:

The advantage is for the owner to use him because of the dominance of the black gene, making a crop of calves more visually uniform.

The Black Char registration papers are not the same as the white herd. The paper will be designated as such and are a different color as the white cow's/bull's papers.

I don't see anything wrong with a black hereford either, just as long as the buyer is getting what he paid for.

If the genetic trends go for cattle as they have for hogs, there won't be any "Purebreds" going into the food chain anyway.

If I decided to go black, I would go buy Angus.

One of the things I like about Charolais is the white color!

Forgive my resistance to the black option, especially in Charolais.

3MR":3cftn52r said:
I dont see a problem with the trend to go black for the commercial cattleman, in fact I like it. I do agree the various breed organizations should attempt to retain and promote thier breeds unique benefits rather than try to copy a visual aspect of another.

These animals are just crossbreds, and the AHA has no part in them. They cannot be registered with the AHA, so no fear of Herefords going black.

MountainFarmChar":z4b3i0hs said:
MikeC":z4b3i0hs said:

If I decided to go black, I would go buy Angus.

One of the things I like about Charolais is the white color!

Forgive my resistance to the black option, especially in Charolais.

You are sure entitled to your opinion. :lol: :lol:

But don't be getting all "Teary-Eyed" on us worrying about the color of a dang cow!!!!!!

Personally, I don't care if they have blue pinstripes or are green polka dotted if they do the job intended....

amen

that's what i like about beefmaster as a 'breed'. It's organized enough to be called a breed, but the specifics that they were selected for were beneficial to the cattlemen and the beef industry down to the consumer.

Those specifics boiled down to one simple idea: produce good cattle.

Hide colors... Just what industry are we in?

>>that's what i like about beefmaster as a 'breed'. It's organized enough to be called a breed, but the specifics that they were selected for were beneficial to the cattlemen and the beef industry down to the consumer<<

Certainly true back when Lasater developed the breed, but the Beefmaster breeders now are a sorry lot. That has got to be one of the WORST breed associations ever. Pitiful!!

nortexsook":2a5s29n2 said:
>>that's what i like about beefmaster as a 'breed'. It's organized enough to be called a breed, but the specifics that they were selected for were beneficial to the cattlemen and the beef industry down to the consumer<<

Certainly true back when Lasater developed the breed, but the Beefmaster breeders now are a sorry lot. That has got to be one of the WORST breed associations ever. Pitiful!!

Why?

Alice

TxStateCowboy":xm27xd87 said:
amen

that's what i like about beefmaster as a 'breed'. It's organized enough to be called a breed, but the specifics that they were selected for were beneficial to the cattlemen and the beef industry down to the consumer.

Those specifics boiled down to one simple idea: produce good cattle.

Hide colors... Just what industry are we in?

Sorry my friend, but colour sells - regionally there are areas that discount those smoke coloured calves and there are areas that give a premium for them. I hate them because they sell for 25% less in this area.

Why? Because the buyer says so.

What the buyer wants - folks will provide.

Same goes for any other colour and you pick the region - lots here will confirm that.

BEz>

I have to say as long as the critter does the job well hide color makes no difference.The meat all looks the same once the hide is gone!!

nortexsook":1qhbo04l said:

What breed association would you recommend?

Latest posts