Black Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

Had another look at the Black Hereford web site.

I think us at the ABBA have a case in court we need to sue!!!

northernboy":2dj89bq3 said:
I have to say as long as the critter does the job well hide color makes no difference.The meat all looks the same once the hide is gone!!

Actually the meat doesn't look the same. The meat graders in the packing plants look at it and grade it according to the marbling. Higher marbled meat is more valuable than lesser marbled beef.

northernboy":3h4pgala said:
I have to say as long as the critter does the job well hide color makes no difference.The meat all looks the same once the hide is gone!!

I would like to agree - but if you send 100 calves to market and they are the wrong colour - YOU WILL TAKE A FINANCIAL BATH.

Anyone who says colour does not matter is not truly aware of marketing and the various issues across the country.

Bez>

northernboy":t8zvee9l said:

Maybe hide color does not matter in your area, but it sure does in mine!

northernboy":2eies91e said:

Hide color does make a difference. Whether it should is another story.

VanC":2hkqvei3 said:
northernboy":2hkqvei3 said:

Hide color does make a difference. Whether it should is another story.

Now we get to the real heart of the matter!

I always say colour is important because the buyer says it is!

Bez>

MikeC":1fuwdese said:
MountainFarmChar":1fuwdese said:
MikeC":1fuwdese said:
I don't see anything wrong with having a black Charolais.

The advantage is for the owner to use him because of the dominance of the black gene, making a crop of calves more visually uniform.

The Black Char registration papers are not the same as the white herd. The paper will be designated as such and are a different color as the white cow's/bull's papers.

I don't see anything wrong with a black hereford either, just as long as the buyer is getting what he paid for.

If the genetic trends go for cattle as they have for hogs, there won't be any "Purebreds" going into the food chain anyway.

If I decided to go black, I would go buy Angus.

One of the things I like about Charolais is the white color!

Forgive my resistance to the black option, especially in Charolais.

You are sure entitled to your opinion. :lol: :lol:

But don't be getting all "Teary-Eyed" on us worrying about the color of a dang cow!!!!!!

Personally, I don't care if they have blue pinstripes or are green polka dotted if they do the job intended....

No one is "Teary Eyed"!

Personally, I hope all your rudely arrogant comments has satisfied your need to be overbearing.

Alice":2y2qwq4b said:
nortexsook":2y2qwq4b said:
>>that's what i like about beefmaster as a 'breed'. It's organized enough to be called a breed, but the specifics that they were selected for were beneficial to the cattlemen and the beef industry down to the consumer<<

Certainly true back when Lasater developed the breed, but the Beefmaster breeders now are a sorry lot. That has got to be one of the WORST breed associations ever. Pitiful!!

Why?

Alice

My exact question, Alice.... why? And I noticed he hasnt answered it yet.
But.. as they say.. opinions are like a$$holes... everyone has one.

those of you that think your speckled cattle are just as good as the black hided animals, and by no means am i saying they aren't, and for you guys going black because the local stockyard buyers are dictating that you do so. I've got one answer for you. Retained Ownership, many states have programs where you can retain ownership and see how your animal actually performs. The Ranch to Rail program is one of these. Not to mention that many of the feedlots will also work with you on this type of program.

Black Herefords, Black Charolais, next there be Black Angus instead of the reds that they were intended to be.

dun

dun":dkrnnf4e said:
Black Herefords, Black Charolais, next there be Black Angus instead of the reds that they were intended to be.

dun

I'm purty sure I got me some of them black red angus. :cboy:

Limomike":2kwm4ub0 said:
Alice":2kwm4ub0 said:
nortexsook":2kwm4ub0 said:
>>that's what i like about beefmaster as a 'breed'. It's organized enough to be called a breed, but the specifics that they were selected for were beneficial to the cattlemen and the beef industry down to the consumer<<

Certainly true back when Lasater developed the breed, but the Beefmaster breeders now are a sorry lot. That has got to be one of the WORST breed associations ever. Pitiful!!

Why?

Alice

My exact question, Alice.... why? And I noticed he hasnt answered it yet.
But.. as they say.. opinions are like a$$holes... everyone has one.

No, I see that he hasn't answered, and I think it's a legitimate question. It just seems to me that if someone makes a bold and insulting statement about something, it should be explained why. To do otherwise shows the person to be a malcontent who doesn't have the vocabulary or knowledge to back up the statement, which in turn makes me discount everything he said.

And like you said about the opinions...everyone has one, and a lot of people are one.

Alice

ALACOWMAN":3jfv9jek said:
when you think about the heterosis that is bred out of the black hereford. i gotta ask what is the point?

Do you think the heterosis has been bred out of Beefmasters and Brangus?

Diehard40":13sdlmfr said:
those of you that think your speckled cattle are just as good as the black hided animals, and by no means am i saying they aren't, and for you guys going black because the local stockyard buyers are dictating that you do so. I've got one answer for you. Retained Ownership, many states have programs where you can retain ownership and see how your animal actually performs. The Ranch to Rail program is one of these. Not to mention that many of the feedlots will also work with you on this type of program.

Good points. Those "Ranch to Rail" type programs (here in OK it's called the OK Steer Feedout) are great for small producers who want to know what sort of beef animal they're producing.

Frankie":2959njhv said:
ALACOWMAN":2959njhv said:
when you think about the heterosis that is bred out of the black hereford. i gotta ask what is the point?

Do you think the heterosis has been bred out of Beefmasters and Brangus?
sure it can. after a period of breeding in one direction course of those two neither is a actual F1 maybe the BM. but they are a breed of cattle just like the black hereford.and the same scenerio can happen with them. im talking about angus bull on hereford cow the hybred vigor in the calf.can't see a black hereford calf having it after years of developing for a single trait.

MikeC":1tu7g792 said:

The advantage is for the owner to use him because of the dominance of the black gene, making a crop of calves more visually uniform.

Mike, you trying to tell us you can't (and others) tell the difference between and good black calf and poor one, they just look uniform?

Nope. It's selling out, plain and simple. No other reason to go black for an association other than riding the coat tails of the Angus boys who were tired of being crapped on for so long, and got their act together. Even if Herefords aren't as high on the totem pole, at least the are still a respectable breed.

Aaron":3jjz2fh3 said:
MikeC":3jjz2fh3 said:

Mike, you trying to tell us you can't (and others) tell the difference between and good black calf and poor one, they just look uniform?

Nope. It's selling out, plain and simple. No other reason to go black for an association other than riding the coat tails of the Angus boys who were tired of being crapped on for so long, and got their act together. Even if Herefords aren't as high on the totem pole, at least the are still a respectable breed.

I'm saying that if someone else wants a black animal (or herd of) it's his right and choice.

Who are we to be telling someone else what color his cattle have to be?