Black Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

la4angus":35swn7iu said:
Campground Cattle":35swn7iu said:
If I wanted to raise Angus I would join La4, Frankie,Scotty and some others would be great company and raise Angus(the black ones).
Nothing wrong with the Red Angus either. They are as pure as the Blacks, and have been around as long as the Black Angus.

I like Red Angus also. I am not a big enough producer to run two breeds of cattle and do both justice.

Scotty

Cattle Rack Rancher":1uinsk49 said:
Campground Cattle":1uinsk49 said:
As I have stated before we do not need or want Angus genetics in every breed of cattle. If you can't compete join the Angus people dang fine cattle and folks. They Dairy industry genetics are already screwed up just from the same type mentality.
Cattlemen that want to turn a breed black are poor managers in my book that lack the skills to improve thier breed to compete with the Angus marketing.
There is no benifit to turning a Hereford Black which you can't anyway.
Some composite breeds were developed for niches like the Brangus, Braford,Gert's and Beefmaster which makes perfect sense. Regions of the country needed to improve on heat, insect tolerance and etc.
I prefer swimming in clean clear water not wadding in the septic tank of mongrel breeds. If I wanted to raise Angus I would join La4, Frankie,Scotty and some others would be great company and raise Angus(the black ones).
I will use the word Owners versus Cattleman that turn breeds black just to try in get in on the Angus market should be kicked out of whatever cattle association they belong to.
IMO these are the breeders that have ruined fine cattle by being poor managers.
I raise Herefords if it gets to the point I can not compete with Angus I will never disgrace the Hereford breed,nor should anyone else try to cover up thier poor management by turning hair black. I will switch or quit.

Nuff Said

I had always thought of myself more as a commercial cattleman than 'wading in the septic tank of mongrel breeds.'
You do have a way with words, my friend. :lol: :lol: :lol:

CRR I would never disrespect a commericial cattleman, I was referring to purebred breeders that are to poor of mangers to compete without turning their cattle balck with Angus genetics. No offense was ever intended to any commericial cattleman as any seedstock producer knows are the backbone of the cattle industry.
If you are a seedstock producer and were offended oh well.

Nuff Said.

I like a herford angus cross, but I wouldn't buy a black herford just because it was black. I am not saying that I wouldn't buy a black hereford. I have seen some bad ones and some good ones. Personally I would not want a herd of registered black herfords because you have taken away most if not all of the hybrid viger. I might like a black hereford bull just to keep that black color in my herd. I do like black better just because they sell for more. A black 500 pound calf will bring andy were from $25 to $50 dollars more than his red or white half brother in the pen next to him. Hereford x angus is my cross and if I have to use a quality black hereford bull to get there I will. Thanks Kaneranch

kaneranch":hxrgw0ay said:
I like a herford angus cross, but I wouldn't buy a black herford just because it was black. I am not saying that I wouldn't buy a black hereford. I have seen some bad ones and some good ones. Personally I would not want a herd of registered black herfords because you have taken away most if not all of the hybrid viger. I might like a black hereford bull just to keep that black color in my herd. I do like black better just because they sell for more. A black 500 pound calf will bring andy were from $25 to $50 dollars more than his red or white half brother in the pen next to him. Hereford x angus is my cross and if I have to use a quality black hereford bull to get there I will. Thanks Kaneranch

It would be a cold day before I would use a cross bred bull.
I love Herefords and Bramers I would never cross a Braford back to my Tigers. 5/8th cross breed to an F-1 there is no way you can maintain a uniform calf crop.

Well I will agree with you there but in the future as the Black Hereford ranches breed more and more black herefords to traditional herefords, eventually the angus will be all but breed out. In my opion it would be more like using a Red Angus than a cross breed. Now I am not saying that I am going to go out and buy one right now. I believe that the black hereford will get bigger and every year the will be less and less angus. I will agree with alot of you all, from what I have seen on the internet the Black Hereford producers definatly need to be doing some selective breeding. Thanks Kaneranch

kaneranch":2m3pyiu5 said:
I might like a black hereford bull just to keep that black color in my herd.Hereford x angus is my cross and if I have to use a quality black hereford bull to get there I will. Thanks Kaneranch
Why not use an Angus bull on your cows to keep the calves black?

kaneranch":yfz0frm4 said:
Well I will agree with you there but in the future as the Black Hereford ranches breed more and more black herefords to traditional herefords, eventually the angus will be all but breed out. In my opion it would be more like using a Red Angus than a cross breed. Now I am not saying that I am going to go out and buy one right now. I believe that the black hereford will get bigger and every year the will be less and less angus. I will agree with alot of you all, from what I have seen on the internet the Black Hereford producers definatly need to be doing some selective breeding. Thanks Kaneranch

I don't really think so. In most studies a two way rotational cross of Hereford and Angus is more productive than straightbreeding Herefords or Angus. I would suspect that a commercial herd using Black Herefords would be the same they would just eliminate the red calves when used as the Hereford in the cross. IF you straightbred Black Herefords you would lose most of the hybrid vigour brought by the Angus. I don't know if anyone has thought of this yet; but I think it is just a matter of time before somebody uses the Black Herefords to breed Homozygous black Black Hereford:Angus composites. That would allow someone to straightbreed Black Baldies without the variability in calves.

Latest posts