Black Herefords are the next major breed!

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder":3w44c02p said:
Don't think you can enter a black animal into the Charolais herdbook.
I'm not saying that the black charolais should be in the herdbook but they existed and labelled as "Black Charolais".

ohiobeef":18qree5t said:
user1":18qree5t said:
First of all, There is no such thing as a Black Hereford.

second....never mind, the first said it all

You need to do some checking. There absolutely is a black Hereford assn. Why is this any different than Simmentals that were only red & white several years ago, & now are mostly black ? Or black shorthorns ? Or Red Angus ? How many other breeds have Black angus had crossed into them over the years ?

Actually you are the one that need to do some checking. Unlike the breeds you've mentioned, hereford and angus have a closed herdbook. In the case of herefords it means that to be eligible to be called a hereford the animal needs to trace back on both sides of the pedigree, with no outside influence, to herdbook volume 13. Failing that, it simply isn't a hereford regardless of what the black hereford association calls it.

Taurus":2iri7occ said:
ohiobeef":2iri7occ said:
user1":2iri7occ said:
First of all, There is no such thing as a Black Hereford.

second....never mind, the first said it all

You need to do some checking. There absolutely is a black Hereford assn. Why is this any different than Simmentals that were only red & white several years ago, & now are mostly black ? Or black shorthorns ? Or Red Angus ? How many other breeds have Black angus had crossed into them over the years ?
To my knowledge, it's only Simmental, Gelbvieh, Charolais and Limousin has gone black but the old lines are still here. These new black breeds has improved and have excellent qualities while the black herefords need to be improve....but you don't need a black hereford to makes $$$, A F1 black baldy would be enough.

Actually they are not an improvement of the breed. They are Angus composite's being sold as something they are not.
If they want to turn a breed black they need to be marketed for what they are ie: Brangus or Braford.

To my knowledge, it's only Simmental, Gelbvieh, Charolais and Limousin has gone black but the old lines are still here. These new black breeds has improved and have excellent qualities while the black herefords need to be improve....but you don't need a black hereford to makes $$$, A F1 black baldy would be enough.

Well, it might not be something that can ever be registered in the Hereford book - but it makes CAB.

Along with Maine Anjou, Black Charlies, even half and half dairy if the colour is right and more than a few other breeds.

Yup, truth in colour!

I guess ole Barnum had it right ........

LOL

Have a good day all

Bez

One of the first things I was taught was not to use crossbred bulls. The crosses fall apart too easy. I realize all breeds were a cross to start out with, but they have been bred true for a long time.

Whenever someone mentions the next big thing, I'm always reminded back in the '60s my teachers told me the metric system would replace the imperial system and in 20 years nobody would remember the inch or yardstick.

Well, hardly anyone remembers a sliderule for sure. They evidently no longer teach folks how to actually spell, punctuate, capitalize, or do any math without a calculator, so maybe he was right but about all the wrong things.
"New and Improved!"

ANAZAZI":3jjhe080 said:
Son of Butch":3jjhe080 said:
Whenever someone mentions the next big thing, I'm always reminded back in the '60s my teachers told me the metric system would replace the imperial system and in 20 years nobody would remember the inch or yardstick.

http://9gag.com/gag/5819810
No, we don't use metric--much anyway. And, we don't really care very much what the rest of the world does either. :tiphat:

greybeard":27x9sfta said:
ANAZAZI":27x9sfta said:
Son of Butch":27x9sfta said:

http://9gag.com/gag/5819810
No, we don't use metric--much anyway. And, we don't really care very much what the rest of the world does either. :tiphat:

Perhaps a thought for the republic of Texas to go metric? :tiphat:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":21qd6d0y said:
From what I read - they allow reg. Hereford bulls to be used if the "board" approves them.
Might be a good market for a reg Hfd bull???

The AHA will never allow a Black bull or cow the herd book is closed.
The AHA does have a program Kinda like the Brahman certified F-1's that allows you to collect data like the TPR program if you are using a registered Hereford cow or bull.

Caustic Burno":1lba8rpg said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1lba8rpg said:
From what I read - they allow reg. Hereford bulls to be used if the "board" approves them.

The AHA does have a program Kinda like the Brahman certified F-1's that allows you to collect data like the TPR program if you are using a registered Hereford cow or bull.
No No - sorry Caustic - I wasn't referring to the AHA ! The Blck Hfd Assn will allow Reg Hfd bulls to be used in their upgrading program - IF the bull is approved by 2/3 the board (or something like that), I was just thinking, an owner of a Reg Hfd bull might want to get his bull approved w/ Blk Hfd Assn to sell more semen. Just another market for a breeder.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1m00djdu said:
Caustic Burno":1m00djdu said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1m00djdu said:

No No - sorry Caustic - I wasn't referring to the AHA ! The Blck Hfd Assn will allow Reg Hfd bulls to be used in their upgrading program - IF the bull is approved by 2/3 the board (or something like that), I was just thinking, an owner of a Reg Hfd bull might want to get his bull approved w/ Blk Hfd Assn to sell more semen. Just another market for a breeder.
from the looks of some of the bulls, the board members might be a good place to start cullin' out...

ALACOWMAN":2xgiuyxs said:
from the looks of some of the bulls, the board members might be a good place to start cullin' out...
Since phenotype (color) seems to be very very high on their list of qualifications, I doubt they'll be culling too much.

I don't suppose that anyone has noticed that the OP has never been back to this thread! He sure did start a nice shytstorm though!

3waycross":206b4et9 said:
I don't suppose that anyone has noticed that the OP has never been back to this thread! He sure did start a nice shytstorm though!
Posts still=1.
He's never returned to CT at all unless it's just to lurk in the background. It may be the same guy that made a similar post over at backyardherds a few months ago--not very well recieved there either.

Latest posts