Black Herefords are the next major breed!

Help Support CattleToday:

C4Livestock":lr6hlhcu said:
If you want to increase your profits and and still have the best quality check out http://www.Blackhereford.com

Your ass hurt's why would any Cattleman worth his salt give up hybred vigor and pound's of an Angus bull over Hereford cattle and get a better baldie. This is a PT Barnum scheme at best. There is absolutely no advantage to this cross standardized to a composite. If you want black run Angus or Brangus red Hereford or Braford.
You have a gene pool limited to the kiddie pool with the other's the pool has a deep end.

Massey135":2swvk0iz said:
I feel sorry for you. You are under the impression that everyone in this world shares your sense of what is right and/or OK. You now live in a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others. A world where all individuals have the right to exercise sole dominion over their own lives, and have the right to live in whatever manner they choose. I understand that these concepts are difficult for you to grasp in your "box." Im sorry that apparently you were brought up in such a rigid, narrow-minded, household that you never developed the ability to think for yourself. Quit imposing your personal beliefs on other people.

From your lack awareness of the party scene, its apparent you're either elderly, or were severly sheltered in your upbringing. Coldbeer is one word around here. Enjoy your ice tea this evening- Im off work- later
This post just confirmed what we all know. You haven't a clue. To he77 with the party scene. Most of us had the opportunity but avoided that crap "Mr. Liberal I can have it all at any price". You're a hopeless case and the older you get the more people will show you this. Cold beer for a 17-18 year old is illegal...giving it to other minors as a bribe as not only illegal but pretty dam low life. But that's probalby the norm for you.

Massey135":o309xsae said:
TexasBred":o309xsae said:
Massey135":o309xsae said:
Yea, that's it :roll:

Just like in the way an employer "uses" his employees. Everyone was happy at the end- sounds like a successfull transaction to me?
No not at all...in your own words "you bribed them"...try that in the real world and you'll have a much different ending. Masey you really need to learn to ****...the more you talk the deeper you get in the hole you've dug. Now..I'm back to ignoring you and hope most others do as well.

Yea, just as your employer bribed you with cash, I chose to barter as beer had more buying power.
Sorry son...any and every employer I ever had met my conditions for employment or it never happened. You may be for sale buy someday you'll learn most folks are not. Hopefully sooner than later.

Thing is ALA, that top bull is 7/8 hereford. This bull is no different than black simm, limo, gelbvieh, or any of them. If you'd use a Balancer (I wouldn't), then you should jump all over that top bull.

I agree that droopy head on that top bull looks simm influence. I haven't seen anything saying the black had to come from Angus? The more I look at that bull though, the more I like him.

ALACOWMAN":1uvpjc1z said:
Massey135":1uvpjc1z said:

And your concern is quality??
ive got crossbred calves right now,, that would look that good in a couple years....but their headed to market

That top bull looks like my old crossbred calves from my Black Galloway cows and our old Fleckvieh Simmental bulls we ran back in the '90s.

I always liked that cross.

Looks like another opportunity to state the obvious. By the way, it isn't just the "southern region" in North America that gets hot. Somebody in Wisconsin was talking about their cattle doing open-mouth breathing (panting).

http://nimss.umd.edu/homepages/home.cfm?trackID=11616

In most areas of the world, cattle destined for slaughter are fattened on grass. In the southern U.S. this requires cattle that are well-adapted to the ambient conditions (high temperature and humidity) and it is usually expected that only Bos indicus or Bos indicus crosses can be sufficiently adapted to such conditions to grow rapidly and efficiently. Since both a light coat color and a short hair length contribute significantly to increased heat tolerance, it is possible that the combination of short hair and lighter coloration will result in an animal with high growth potential under grazing conditions in the southern U.S. without Bos indicus influence.

Over the past two decades black has become the preferred color of feedlot and slaughter cattle in the USA, including the Southern Region. As a result, not only has the influence of Angus cattle increased, but the black gene has been incorporated, through upgrading and selection, into a number of previously red breeds such as the Simmental, Limousin, Gelbvieh, etc. This is in spite of the fact that black colored cattle will absorb more solar radiation than red or other lighter-colored cattle. Studies by Mader et al. (2002) and Davis et al. (2003) both showed rather dramatic (up to 0.5º) lower body temperatures while under heat stress for white (dilute-colored Charolais crossbred) as compared to black feedlot steers. This advantage is comparable to the effect of the Slick hair gene for heat tolerance reported by Olson et al. (2003).

ALACOWMAN":3rbjh9gv said:
i like the cross too as long as the knife is used,, if i were in the northwest this is the way id roll :cowboy: http://hereford.org/static/files/0810_H ... tEqual.pdf

I like your thinking Cowman and I have the opportunity to do exactly what the article suggests. One question for you, what do you think about running a Char bull with the retained cows (not the heifers) for the salebarn?

TennesseeTuxedo":3dvtd2al said:
ALACOWMAN":3dvtd2al said:
i like the cross too as long as the knife is used,, if i were in the northwest this is the way id roll :cowboy: http://hereford.org/static/files/0810_H ... tEqual.pdf

I like your thinking Cowman and I have the opportunity to do exactly what the article suggests. One question for you, what do you think about running a Char bull with the retained cows (not the heifers) for the salebarn?
its a great cross..but there's always a market for baldies to just stay with the two breeds... you could make enough on the heifers, to off set the few pounds difference in the steers.....any more i like to keep my eggs in one basket

Nothing like a "Black Hereford" thread to stir up things at CT!

Breed definition - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breed So, is Black Hereford a breed by this definition?

The "black" comes from Registered Angus, so I guess the purity of the "black" is dependent on the purity of of the Black Angus that the Black Hereford breed was bred up from. Same goes for the Hereford!

Some of us that have been around long enough to watch other breeds as they were being "bred up" realize that the Black Herefords are suffering much of the same denigration that the Chars, Simmis, and others suffered as they were being bred up in this country.

I've heard the ABHA CEO, Craig Ludwig, say from an auction podium that the founding breeders realize that the Black Hereford breed still has a "ways to go"! There still aren't a whole lot of cattle out there that will qualify as being purebred according to the association standards(black and 7/8 Hereford blood). But I've been watching this breed for a while, now, and I strongly believe that they are making progress.

Massey pictured what could be the 2 best Black Hereford breeding bulls in the population at the time they were put into service. In either the traditional Hereford or Angus population, these bulls might not even be considered good enough quality to use as registered seedstock, but they were/are the best that's available to those wanting to breed Black Herefords.

So, like Knersie, I view the restriction of being only able to use cattle from the ABHA registry as ONE of the parents in the breeding up process as a real handicap to the breed's progress. And, no doubt, it is a protectionist move that assures that the founding breeders will share greatly in the premium that results from others that want to get involved.

But, through the use of the RIGHT registered HEREFORD seedstock being infused into the breed, improvement in the Black Hereford breed is going to come. And, as long as the black hided cattle continue to bring a premium at the sale barn, there is going to be demand for cattle that can bring the good qualities that Hereford cattle possess and also can assure a black hide.

The only thing that I could see derailing this effort would be for the Black Angus Association to start DNA testing feeder/fed cattle and requiring that 50% Black Angus blood be in the cattle that qualify for the designation/premium. But I've been told that demand for Angus beef is so high that the likelihood of that happening is remote.

djinwa":3r13dlvg said:
Looks like another opportunity to state the obvious. By the way, it isn't just the "southern region" in North America that gets hot. Somebody in Wisconsin was talking about their cattle doing open-mouth breathing (panting).

http://nimss.umd.edu/homepages/home.cfm?trackID=11616

In most areas of the world, cattle destined for slaughter are fattened on grass. In the southern U.S. this requires cattle that are well-adapted to the ambient conditions (high temperature and humidity) and it is usually expected that only Bos indicus or Bos indicus crosses can be sufficiently adapted to such conditions to grow rapidly and efficiently. Since both a light coat color and a short hair length contribute significantly to increased heat tolerance, it is possible that the combination of short hair and lighter coloration will result in an animal with high growth potential under grazing conditions in the southern U.S. without Bos indicus influence.

Over the past two decades black has become the preferred color of feedlot and slaughter cattle in the USA, including the Southern Region. As a result, not only has the influence of Angus cattle increased, but the black gene has been incorporated, through upgrading and selection, into a number of previously red breeds such as the Simmental, Limousin, Gelbvieh, etc. This is in spite of the fact that black colored cattle will absorb more solar radiation than red or other lighter-colored cattle. Studies by Mader et al. (2002) and Davis et al. (2003) both showed rather dramatic (up to 0.5º) lower body temperatures while under heat stress for white (dilute-colored Charolais crossbred) as compared to black feedlot steers. This advantage is comparable to the effect of the Slick hair gene for heat tolerance reported by Olson et al. (2003).
Give the heat stress subject a rest. Nobody asking about heat tolerance. :deadhorse:

By the way, Wisconsin is suffering very unusual drought and so are southern Minnesota. ALL of cattle were panting in the shade...I even seen rodeo stock/brahman crosses cows stays in the shade and refused to go grazing out in the sun. But then again it is just TWO months of hot weather...the rest of year is pretty cold.

user1":32suvoxh said:
First of all, There is no such thing as a Black Hereford.

second....never mind, the first said it all

You need to do some checking. There absolutely is a black Hereford assn. Why is this any different than Simmentals that were only red & white several years ago, & now are mostly black ? Or black shorthorns ? Or Red Angus ? How many other breeds have Black angus had crossed into them over the years ?

ohiobeef":10f1cqer said:
user1":10f1cqer said:
First of all, There is no such thing as a Black Hereford.

second....never mind, the first said it all

You need to do some checking. There absolutely is a black Hereford assn. Why is this any different than Simmentals that were only red & white several years ago, & now are mostly black ? Or black shorthorns ? Or Red Angus ? How many other breeds have Black angus had crossed into them over the years ?
To my knowledge, it's only Simmental, Gelbvieh, Charolais and Limousin has gone black but the old lines are still here. These new black breeds has improved and have excellent qualities while the black herefords need to be improve....but you don't need a black hereford to makes $$$, A F1 black baldy would be enough.

Latest posts