Black brangus naval shrink with age?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Bought some beautiful hand-picked black brangus heifers this year. They had a lot of ear and naval which what I want in my herd. It looks like the naval skin that hangs down is getting smaller as they get older. Does this happen? Never seen this nor bought fancy brangus heifers this young before either. Some might be from the increased coat of hair for the winter but maybe just a little.

BK9954":2tmptbhp said:
Bought some beautiful hand-picked black brangus heifers this year. They had a lot of ear and naval which what I want in my herd. It looks like the naval skin that hangs down is getting smaller as they get older. Does this happen? Never seen this nor bought fancy brangus heifers this young before either. Some might be from the increased coat of hair for the winter but maybe just a little.
I've personally not seen it but have been able to breed the size of the navel down over time. Personally don't like the excessively large ears either. Makes them look like they have way more brahman in them than they actually do.

My thinking was that they did have more brahman blood whick is what I am looking for. Can always change thier bull to a hereford or angus to pull those back if needed to but they seem to sell well here like they are..

Some of that loose naval skin may get stretched and tightened as they grow out

BK9954":nmzg3qyd said:
My thinking was that they did have more brahman blood whick is what I am looking for. Can always change thier bull to a hereford or angus to pull those back if needed to but they seem to sell well here like they are..

That may or may not be the case. From my experience, some Brangus will resemble the Brahman influence more and some will resemble the angus side. We have several like this, some look like F1's and some look like Ultrablacks but they are all 5/8 angus 3/8 Brahman.

As TB stated, we breed a lot to tighten some up and vise versa.

Latest posts