Another Question on Concealed Carry ?

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd":zsaqzqhy said:
A question to all of you that have the concealed permit. How many times have you had to defend yourself with your weapon. Just curious never pulled a gun or had one pulled on me.

Never pulled a weapon to defend myself per se but I have stopped a robbery and two burglaries using firearms. The robbery was a strong armed robbery involving four wanna be thugs and I thwarted their plans using an empty pistol. This was definitely a test of nerves but I pulled it off without pizzing myself too bad. Learned valuable lesson here, an unloaded gun can get you killed.

I'm not a gun waiver though. If I'm carrying you won't know it and I won't pull it out unless I plan on pulling the trigger.

Jogeephus":35matfwy said:
hurleyjd":35matfwy said:
A question to all of you that have the concealed permit. How many times have you had to defend yourself with your weapon. Just curious never pulled a gun or had one pulled on me.

Never pulled a weapon to defend myself per se but I have stopped a robbery and two burglaries using firearms. The robbery was a strong armed robbery involving four wanna be thugs and I thwarted their plans using an empty pistol. This was definitely a test of nerves but I pulled it off without pizzing myself too bad. Learned valuable lesson here, an unloaded gun can get you killed.

I'm not a gun waiver though. If I'm carrying you won't know it and I won't pull it out unless I plan on pulling the trigger.

Me either I used mine a couple months ago on a convicted felon that was here to rob but retreated.
He is in jail looking at 99 years. That was a tense situation as in Texas you can't shoot someone for trespass
and he hadn't brandished the 38 he was carrying.
Have to use the safety between your ears if you elect to carry.

gimpyrancher":2qfz0v77 said:
ga.prime":2qfz0v77 said:
bbirder, you need the CC permit to legally have a concealed firearm in your truck or car. If you want to keep your firearm laying out in plain sight at all times on your dashboard or seat, then you do not need it. LE going door to door collecting guns of CC permit holders will never happen for several reasons and even if it did you could tell them you had all your guns stolen or you sold them.

Sorry but I have to correct you. Do you remember a storm by the name of Katrina? After the storm, cops from as far away as CA went to New Orleans to "help" with the aftermath. Cops went door to door, occupied out not, searching houses for weapons. Confiscated every single one they found. To my understanding, not one of them was ever returned.

These searches did not come with a list of owners. They were house to house searches by nation wide LEO's that came to "assist."
You're right, that did happen. Anything's possible under the right circumstances.

gimpyrancher":2exkj6kh said:
ga.prime":2exkj6kh said:
bbirder, you need the CC permit to legally have a concealed firearm in your truck or car. If you want to keep your firearm laying out in plain sight at all times on your dashboard or seat, then you do not need it. LE going door to door collecting guns of CC permit holders will never happen for several reasons and even if it did you could tell them you had all your guns stolen or you sold them.

Sorry but I have to correct you. Do you remember a storm by the name of Katrina? After the storm, cops from as far away as CA went to New Orleans to "help" with the aftermath. Cops went door to door, occupied out not, searching houses for weapons. Confiscated every single one they found. To my understanding, not one of them was ever returned.

These searches did not come with a list of owners. They were house to house searches by nation wide LEO's that came to "assist."

Guess this is part of what you're talking about.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nat ... rina_N.htm

hurleyjd":1ks2dut6 said:
Had one pulled on me in 65 as I dove out a bedroom window. Had to show one once in about 67 to some wood be care thieves. But that was pre concealed carry days in Norfolk VA

not really pertinent but I will share a story....

We live about a tenth of a mile back off the road....and Approaching from the north there is a Square mile of forest that my place lies along side of on corner of....A few neighbors to the south but they are farther off the road than I am....

About twenty years ago.....the dogs exploded at about 2:30 in the morning....I sat up to hear voice and then a knock at the door....I pulled on some pants and grabbed up the 44 magnum on the nightstand....

Went to the door with dogs snarling at my feet and that big a$$ed pistol in my hand, and there were two young men unknown to me standing on the porch.....claiming their car was broke down and could they use the phone.....

Not knowing who they were we had a discussion about the hour of the night and that working people who had to work were not out carousing at all hours of the night.....

they did the appropriate yessiring and they just needed to call someone to come get them......
I finally decided to let them use the phone

told them to let me put the dogs up so they would not be eaten alive....shut the door to gate the dogs on the steps behind me....

then I told em to come in.....and stopped em right there with the dogs at my back....asked who was going to use the phone and one said he would....I said fine...but know this....One funny move from either of you and I am going to kill you both because we are not going to have any conflicting stories....Yall got that.....One wanted to leave right then and the other stuttered yessir just let me use the phone.....they did and thanked me and hurried out of the house....I watched them go out of sight down the driveway...Started up the stairs and there in the dark was my wife with her little 38 in her hands....next morning there was a car at the end of the driveway, well out of my way, and shortly after noon it was gone....

We seldom have anyone knock on our door for anything.....

hurleyjd":2pnde98j said:
I am glad you live in a place where it is not needed. I have had a gun pulled on me once, been shot at from a distance 2 times and have pulled a weapon 2 times. I must frequent the wrong places.
One time that I needed it the most I didn't have one and looking back now that may have been the best. Got hurt real bad but I healed over the years. I have not forgotten though.

kenny thomas":g4e6z350 said:
hurleyjd":g4e6z350 said:
I am glad you live in a place where it is not needed. I have had a gun pulled on me once, been shot at from a distance 2 times and have pulled a weapon 2 times. I must frequent the wrong places.
One time that I needed it the most I didn't have one and looking back now that may have been the best. Got hurt real bad but I healed over the years. I have not forgotten though.

Wow! Sorry to hear that. I got spot-lighted once during rifle season & that was enough to scare the snot outta me; I can't imagine what you went through.

hurleyjd":18aj356l said:
I've pulled a shotgun on people twice. Both times it was legally unloaded and transported and all I had to do was drop a shell in and slide the pump. In Ca it's legal to carry concealed on your property or place of business and I've put that to use once and had it in my hand once without showing it another time.
When I was a kid I got shot at on our property walking back to a ditch bank where we would catch crawdads. It was right next to a navy base and a captain had decided to supplement his income with drug sales. I walked up on him waiting for a customer and he pulled out a 9mm and emptied it. My dad heard it and as I was running to the house we passed each other. He was headed the other way with a twelve gauge and put the marks in the back end of the government issue car that got the guy caught. I don't get to far away from protection now. I wish I'd have had it that day.

kenny thomas":2ktwqytd said:
No big deal, just parts of the area I work have been pretty rough in the past. Now its the drugs that gets the trouble.

Drugs are horrible here I would bet 95% of the crime or more is drug related.
Both incidents I have had have been with a drug head one was stealing generators in a hurricane.

The last time I pulled one was to give me better odds than the 5 to one it would have been.
Was reading some statistics the other day that pulling the gun will cause most evil doers to run. I think they said 90 something percent of he time. I think that is true. But you had best be ready for that time they don't run.

I have also been in places when I didn't have one but sure wished I did. I got through those situations ok but sure was anxiety provoking. I learned that to have one can be a great comfort. That feeling of not being helpless means a lot to me.

gimpyrancher":2l6cebhl said:
ga.prime":2l6cebhl said:

You are sure right. Some people were physically mistreated in those confiscations. Anybody that hasn't seen the films need to do a google search and hear the people tell about it.
That prompted me to send my money to the NRA. They got down here and went to bat for the citizen gun owners.

i was an NRA member...my only beef with them is they spent more money than I sent them sending me almost daily mailings with constant pleas for more money....finally i quit sending them money and eventually they quit sending me fire starting material....

we have a few local groups I try to support with my limited available funds....

The only time I have ever had to pull a gun was in Alaska and it involved a very large bear not a person. I was wishing that I had a much bigger gun.

pdfangus":5q7wed80 said:
i was an NRA member...my only beef with them is they spent more money than I sent them sending me almost daily mailings with constant pleas for more money....finally i quit sending them money and eventually they quit sending me fire starting material....

I am still a member you are right they will drive you nuts begging for more.
They have bled the choir dry.

pdfangus":2233zhx9 said:

You are right about xs mailings. In the past I was a member and dropped out for that very reason. It is not a perfect organization, but after that New Orleans thing they were the ones that came out to fight for gun rights. That is when I decided to become a life member.
Mrs. Clinton is being very vocal against them and that attests to their power.
If she is against them, I am for them!

I really like Larry Platt ( I think I have the name right) of Gun Owners of America. I have sent them money but where the NRA keeps wanting more, I hardly ever hear from GOA. I think most of their money comes from companies.