Another Question on Concealed Carry ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
First I have to preface my question with a few statements.

1- I own several (more than 10) firearms. Combination of rifles and pistols. Some are Collectibles.
2- I cannot say that I am a gun collector or enthusiast
3-The majority of these guns are inherited.
4- I do not shoot on a regular basis, nor do I hunt any longer.
5- None of these are registered. Some are considered antiques or war bring backs, but they are all operational.
6- If I had to use one for protection it would be a nine mm 1937 S/42 Luger.
7- I am a veteran and stand strongly behind our Constitution and the 2nd Amendment

Now on to my subject.
Although I do not carry, and have no intention of doing so, I was recently solicited by my American Legion Post to participate in a Concealed Carry course that was being held at the local post. My first thought, immediately, was too sign up, due to it perhaps not being available in the future. ( Why do I need it if I'm not going to carry ? )
Kicked it around for a couple of days and I got to thinking. If I sign up and attend this course , and get the license, I am now on a govt list somewhere and Big Brother knows that I have weapons in my house. I personally would prefer that they don't have this information so I've elected to do without the permit. I do not want the "Gestapo" knocking on my door, and I think it will come to that, tho maybe not in my lifetime. "read Old F*rt"

Give me your thoughts on this topic. Is my train of thought off base? I know that many of you have a carry permit.

First off I do have a permit and have had for several years. Also I carry every day.
You do bring up some valid points though. Nothing wrong with taking the class and still not getting the permit if you feel strongly about it. The class teaches saftey and protection also. Nothing wrong with that. I will also have to think about being on the government list and I really don't like that either. Looking forward to others thoughts.

Or getting a concealed permit and not carry, you always have it. Some of my firearms a also passed down and probably not traceable....... I'll shut up, great and grandfathers keepsakes.

Alan":5shwwp5n said:
Or getting a concealed permit and not carry, you always have it. Some of my firearms a also passed down and probably not traceable....... I'll shut up, great and grandfathers keepsakes.

Alan,
I may have blown my cover with the post. Say NSA, LOL.

That's kinda how I feel, bbirder. Here even long guns have to be registered as of Jan 1 2014 so I spent some money in December of 13 on Christmas presents. I have one pistol that is registered to me and as a law abiding citizen I've always figured that if they come around to collect my guns with a list of what I own I will gladly hand them my pistol.

cow pollinater":qqlzp4yy said:
That's kinda how I feel, bbirder. Here even long guns have to be registered as of Jan 1 2014 so I spent some money in December of 13 on Christmas presents. I have one pistol that is registered to me and as a law abiding citizen I've always figured that if they come around to collect my guns with a list of what I own I will gladly hand them my pistol.

I'm not giving up a single gun period. I have a permit to carry and do so daily. I figure there's not much that the government doesn't know about me already.

Taking the course won;t get you on any gov lists. It;s nice to have the option to do it legally if you want, although it never stopped me when it wasn;t legal if I thought it woudl be necesarry.

kenny thomas":14lyjrig said:
First off I do have a permit and have had for several years. Also I carry every day.
You do bring up some valid points though. Nothing wrong with taking the class and still not getting the permit if you feel strongly about it. The class teaches saftey and protection also. Nothing wrong with that. I will also have to think about being on the government list and I really don't like that either. Looking forward to others thoughts.
With the sophistication of today's Gov't I'd say you and the op are screwed like a tied up goat...
:).

cow pollinater":3s7oqu43 said:

You can't do that in Ok or Texas!

You are already on their list. And there is probably no way to get yourself off of it. Come to terms with it. Go about your business.

I'd say you are on a number of government lists already.

I think getting the permit is a statement about how you feel on the 2nd.

I have had permits in SC & NC and it had nothing to do with registering any guns.

The law abiding gun owners are not the problem. Most gun owners want severe penalties for the criminals that use guns. It's the other side that wants leniency for criminals.
I figure anyone that belongs or contributes to pro gun groups are on the government's list. And if you don't belong or contribute to pro gun groups, you aren't fighting for your rights.

HDRider":35ivaot3 said:
I think getting the permit is a statement about how you feel on the 2nd.
Yesterday the nieghbor girl had to do some interviews on agriculture for her college classes. One of the questions she asked was if I had ever belonged to any organizations and if so, why. I told her the NRA because I believe in the second amendment. I guess that will get me on some list somewhere too.

One perk of having a CC - yesterday I bought a 22 & 223 (to carry in my Polaris/varmint control) & while you still have to complete the registration they don't have to call it in. That said, the registration is ridiculous! Does our government really believe anyone wanting to purchase a gun will check the "yes" box that asks if they have a mental disorder, are addicted to drugs, is an illegal resident, has a felony conviction, etc? I was actually laughing by the time I completed the form. And by the way, I suspect our government already knows everything there is to know about us.

bbirder, you need the CC permit to legally have a concealed firearm in your truck or car. If you want to keep your firearm laying out in plain sight at all times on your dashboard or seat, then you do not need it. LE going door to door collecting guns of CC permit holders will never happen for several reasons and even if it did you could tell them you had all your guns stolen or you sold them.

TCRanch":2r46vls6 said:
One perk of having a CC - yesterday I bought a 22 & 223 (to carry in my Polaris/varmint control) & while you still have to complete the registration they don't have to call it in. That said, the registration is ridiculous! Does our government really believe anyone wanting to purchase a gun will check the "yes" box that asks if they have a mental disorder, are addicted to drugs, is an illegal resident, has a felony conviction, etc? I was actually laughing by the time I completed the form. And by the way, I suspect our government already knows everything there is to know about us.

No, they actually hope the criminal lies on the application because when they call it in and they are flagged they deny the sale and that is evidence you committed a felony or multiple felonies depending on how many lies you told on the form. Here, you won't walk out of the store with the gun if you aren't approved and if you are flagged you might as well expect them to come see you shortly.

I'm with Reilly on gun crimes. Should be mandatory 10 years in a federal prison. The idea of Obama wanting to turn all these criminals loose is ridiculous. Rather than harping on gun crimes I think the press should be focusing on how many gun crimes that are committed by people who by all rights should still be behind bars. If they did this, then I think people would see where the true problem lies.

TCRanch":186s0q75 said:
You are mistaken about them calling it in. If you filled out the form they must call it in ( or put it in their computer for approval) and get the number to put on the form. Now they may know you are ok and let you leave but they still called it in but they are suppose to have the approval number before they release the gun to you.
I have a CC and every time I buy from a shop or from gunbroker the shop I am at will do the background check. Most do it on the computer now so you may have never known it was done.

Latest posts