What spotlight do you carry?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
The old Q-beam gave up. With all the newish LED and fancy features, what do you keep with you for check cows? Why?

Appears the options are endless.

We've got 2 of these, I think they're 6 to 8 years old at this point and still working great. I wrote the date of purchase on them with a Sharpie to see how long they'd last and have been really impressed so far. They hold a charge for a good amount of time, and I've hit a few coyotes at 300 yards with the red lens removed. About 150 yards is all I can muster with the red filter.

My trusty Q beam is looking like it was about to give up so I bought a new one last month. I got a cordless Browning. It's better than I expected, compact, light weight, and has a high and low beam. I got it at Academy think it was about $100

I have a Milwaukee M18 that I picked up at Home Depot. It will light up the world and holds a charge real good. It is real handy for other uses. It can be stood on the back end and the head pivots to put light where you want it. Just used it yesterday to do some plumbing work under the kitchen sink. Lit up everything under there bright as can be. I very rarely check cows after dark. Generally only do that when I have seen something during the late afternoon check.

I've had a talk with mine about how they're expected to stay outta trouble after dark. Same talk with kids , grandkids and dogs. Only the wife is allowed to wake me up at night and not get hauled off.
I'm not much on checking them in the dark either, but I leave for my day job before daylight, and this time of year I like to check on the heifers that are calving.

We've got 2 of these, I think they're 6 to 8 years old at this point and still working great. I wrote the date of purchase on them with a Sharpie to see how long they'd last and have been really impressed so far. They hold a charge for a good amount of time, and I've hit a few coyotes at 300 yards with the red lens removed. About 150 yards is all I can muster with the red filter.
That's what I use, but 2 years is about as much as I can hope to get out of them. But we calve in the cold so while one light is charging the other is being used. I do like how light they are.

Although I do have a spotlight. If I am checking on the cows in the dark 99% of the time I use the head lights on the quad. This new quad I have has real bright head lights.

I've used the Stanley in the past. The light itself seems to last forever but the battery has a definite limit regarding how many times it can be recharged.

I don't use any rechargeable lights. Everything portable used AAs. If it's a stationary light it plugs in.

We use to buy all our gaugers the magnetic lights with the remotes to go on top the truck. I got one also and it's pretty handy in the pasture.

I have a tactical LED flashlight with a clamp that can mount to a rifle scope - it uses rechargeable Li-on 18650 rechargeable batteries. Takes 30 seconds to remove it from the rifle and it fits in my coat pocket. Also have LED headlamps for close up work and I like the red option when walking close to cows. The SxS has a HID light bar on it that can reach out 400 yards or so. Then I have an old Q Beam that plugs into 12 volt on a vehicle.

I must be the only one that buys just a regular flashlight with a rubber grip & takes D batteries. I also have one of those strap on headlights. They do the job and if they break or I lose one, they're cheap enough to replace.

That's what I use, but 2 years is about as much as I can hope to get out of them. But we calve in the cold so while one light is charging the other is being used. I do like how light they are.
What we do is charge one fully and keep it on standby, while the other is in use - then I don't charge the one in use until it goes completely dead. I've found that batteries last longer this way, but I don't live in the frozen North either!

I have a tactical LED flashlight with a
Everything is 'tactical' nowadays... my favorite being the fence pliers, as if they aren't hard enough to find in the grass already...

tactical.jpg

Yall don't forget the tactical socks underwear and ballistic/atomic/combat vision sunglasses, tho somehow, I have still been able to catch bass without them..

battlevision.jpg

Last edited: