What spotlight do you carry?

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks for all the suggestions. My concerns these last few days have been while I'm checking cows early morning before my day job.

The brightness of the headlights are plenty, but the periphery is not. I'm worried about running over a calf when I'm turning.

So it needs to be something that mostly stays in the truck or easily swapped to the UTV. Must be able to get drop kicked, half eaten by cows, abused by grandkids, and then cooked and served with a big dollup of gravy.

I'm thinking cordless, light/smallish frame, pistol grip for window shopping ergonomics, yet sassy in some twisted way,

Dang, I've spent 33 years with the forever hottie, Q-Beamness, a descendant of the Candela family.
She recently departed, and left me to cabbage on to the remnants of what was?

My how times have changed. I can't even compare her value now.

Forever yours,
Luminoux Flux

Thanks for all the suggestions. My concerns these last few days have been while I'm checking cows early morning before my day job.

The brightness of the headlights are plenty, but the periphery is not. I'm worried about running over a calf when I'm turning.

So it needs to be something that mostly stays in the truck or easily swapped to the UTV. Must be able to get drop kicked, half eaten by cows, abused by grandkids, and then cooked and served with a big dollup of gravy.

I'm thinking cordless, light/smallish frame, pistol grip for window shopping ergonomics, yet sassy in some twisted way,

Dang, I've spent 33 years with the forever hottie, Q-Beamness, a descendant of the Candela family.
She recently departed, and left me to cabbage on to the remnants of what was?

My how times have changed. I can't even compare her value now.

Forever yours,
Luminoux Flux
That's why I like the streamlight headlamps. I keep one in the truck and Mule glovebox along with the table beside me.
They are lite look where I am looking hands free. If I need to get off the Mule to take care of someone I don't have to prop up a light that I can never get right. I have handheld Waypoint on each vehicle as well. They are seldom used.

That's why I like the streamlight headlamps. I keep one in the truck and Mule glovebox along with the table beside me.
They are lite look where I am looking hands free. If I need to get off the Mule to take care of someone I don't have to prop up a light that I can never get right. I have handheld Waypoint on each vehicle as well. They are seldom used.
Oh, forgot, it's gotta be Mrs. CB proof.

That's a tall order folks. I'm tucked tail as I wri……….

I like headlamps, it leaves my hands free and the light shines wherever I'm looking. My wife bought me one a few years ago to use putting out hay in the dark. The hay bale blocks the headlights on my tractor, which are non existent now (whole other story), so I was holding a flashlight while trying to put out hay in the evenings. I use my headlamp all the time working on things as well.

The old Q-beam gave up. With all the newish LED and fancy features, what do you keep with you for check cows? Why?

Appears the options are endless.

This:
6000 lumens Headlamp, Rechargeable, Waterproof

It outshines my headlights on my car.

If an when I wear that one out, I would consider these:
12,000 lumens
2n1 T6 6000 Lumen

I like the later one because the on/ off button is pronounced and should be able to feel it with gloves on. The one I currently have the button is so small I cannot feel it with my gloves on. I could care less about the strobe but I read in the comments that a lot of people really like that.

I absolutely HATE all the flashlights with 10 different flashing modes unless they turn on/off to the same mode you left at, but cycling through them is an absolute pain.. I just want on/off, maybe a low beam setting, that's it!

I have a headlamp that clips to my hat brim, I find it really convenient, never liked the headlamps that have their own headband.. bright enough to work with, good for working under vehicles, or when you're working cows at night.. and they're cheap https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T9BJ8HL/?tag=cattletoday00-20

On any vehicle, a light bar or good work lights is essential, I have a 24" light bar on my quad, it's a cheap thing but it lights things up pretty good

Here is a SINGLE Nightrider DOT legal LED driving light, trees are about 4-500 yards away.. even across the river at about a mile I can see, they really make daylight out of everything, I powered this one with a Makita 18V battery (they're rated for 24V systems)
20200309_214400.jpg

My friend got this super fancy "tactical" flashlight, I'll grant that it was REALLY bright, but it was nearly 2 1/2" round and 3" long, which made putting it in your pocket impossible and just felt clutzy, and at about $120.. nah

I have a flashlight that's similar to this one, really like it, except they were complete idiots with the switch placement.. there's something that feels like a switch where you'd expect it, but the switch is on the back, which makes it clunky to use https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00069PJLA/?tag=cattletoday00-20

Please everyone check out the company O Lights! I love there lights. I own the prelight 2 it clips to my pocket and attaches to metal pannels. They are pricey. But we'll worth the cost!

No only some. Look again. The flash lights are for nighttime hiking, animal checking etc. Look at the prerun type. There wonderful!

Please everyone check out the company O Lights! I love there lights. I own the prelight 2 it clips to my pocket and attaches to metal pannels. They are pricey. But we'll worth the cost!
I have 2 of the older ones. NEBO is the actual company name and they make most of these type lights under different names, including the infamous AS SEEN ON TV! ATOMIC FLASHLIGHT They are ok, but both the remote switch (for riflemount) and the standard switch are flaky at best. There is also a little white threaded plastic plastic ring in the lens end that is prone to strip the threads out and the whole led assy moves around inside and diffuses the beam. I had to superglue that ring in. The other issue is bad solder joints inside the 3 aaa battery container. Jeweler screwdriver to disassemble it, resolder the tiny wires firmly in place to get a good reliable connection. It's good basic design, but crappy materials and workmanship..
The newer models with the usb cord & rechargeable lithium battery may be better.

nebo.jpg

Last edited:
I have 2 of the older ones. NEBO is the actual company name and they make most of these type lights under different names, including the infamous AS SEEN ON TV! ATOMIC FLASHLIGHT They are ok, but both the remote switch (for riflemount) and the standard switch are flaky at best. There is also a little white threaded plastic plastic ring in the lens end that is prone to strip the threads out and the whole led assy moves around inside and diffuses the beam. I had to superglue that ring in. The other issue is bad solder joints inside the 3 aaa battery container. Jeweler screwdriver to disassemble it, resolder the tiny wires firmly in place to get a good reliable connection. It's good basic design, but crappy materials and workmanship..
The newer models with the usb cord & rechargeable lithium battery may be better.

View attachment 13114
I don't think you are talking the same thing at all. My little Kea chain and prerun 2 are lith. Batt. I use it to check stock at night and during foaling,calving . Excellent lights. As I said they clip on to my pocket hat or metal. For perfect hands free work
The beams rotate moon to high and will blind animals if put to there face. Excellent for having to trail an animal in a revine , gully ect. Also no off light colors you can identify a color on foal. Seriously check them out...no I don't work for them . Just love there products and like to pass it along!

This is one of mine!!

Attachments

• 20220212_174522.jpg
    20220212_174522.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220212_174528.jpg
    20220212_174528.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220212_174600.jpg
    20220212_174600.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4