Another Question on Concealed Carry ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't think having it puts you on any list your not already on just makes you legal to carry. I believe when and if that time comes it won't be on a list basis it will just be a door to door search. Not sure how many doors it will take for them to realize that it's not worth it.

kenny thomas":3ocfp6dl said:
TCRanch":3ocfp6dl said:
One perk of having a CC - yesterday I bought a 22 & 223 (to carry in my Polaris/varmint control) & while you still have to complete the registration they don't have to call it in. That said, the registration is ridiculous! Does our government really believe anyone wanting to purchase a gun will check the "yes" box that asks if they have a mental disorder, are addicted to drugs, is an illegal resident, has a felony conviction, etc? I was actually laughing by the time I completed the form. And by the way, I suspect our government already knows everything there is to know about us.
You are mistaken about them calling it in. If you filled out the form they must call it in ( or put it in their computer for approval) and get the number to put on the form. Now they may know you are ok and let you leave but they still called it in but they are suppose to have the approval number before they release the gun to you.
I have a CC and every time I buy from a shop or from gunbroker the shop I am at will do the background check. Most do it on the computer now so you may have never known it was done.

Kansas Concealed Carry Licenses issued after July 1, 2010 qualify as an alternative to a background check when purchasing a firearm according to the ATF Permanent Brady Permit Chart.

http://www.usacarry.com/kansas_conceale ... ation.html

He did not enter any information on the computer while I was there but we also live all of 2 miles from his shop & he knows us so may be after the fact.

TCRanch, my apologizies to you. I have always assumed (yes made an azz out of me) that the background check is a federal thing even though it is handled by the state. I have learned something.

kenny thomas":2r2kvs87 said:
TCRanch, my apologizies to you. I have always assumed (yes made an azz out of me) that the background check is a federal thing even though it is handled by the state. I have learned something.

Thank you. I only knew it applied in KS because I got my CC last year - and have had numerous background checks prior :)

Upon reading up on what it takes to obtain a CC in Kansas I see that fingerprints are required and a few other differences from here. I guess that keeps things from falling through the cracks. But what happens if after you obtain the CC permit you commit a crime or something happens that you are no longer allowed to own a gun. If you have the card how does the gun shop know that if they do not do a background check?

I have no clue. Or as Jogeephus pointed out, obtained when the gun is registered. But that goes back to my original point about the absurdity of the questionnaire in the first place. How can anyone - the CC instructor, the government, the Sheriff Dept taking fingerprints, etc - possibly know whether someone has mental issues, uses meth or beats his wife unless or until he is caught? Okay, I get the validity of confirming legal residence. On a side note, I'm on the Board of a non-profit & had to have fingerprints taken at the Police Dept (as opposed to the Sheriff for CC). Evidently I have literally worn the ridges down on my index fingers so much the digital scanner couldn't get a valid print, kept flashing REJECT. That was awkward ;)

bbirder
I hope you don't mind if I offer my opinion. In Illinois the FFL (federal firearms license) has to obtain approval of any gun sold with different waiting times based on handgun or long gun. A portion of the Illinois law reads: "Records of a sale are to be obtain by a dealer for a period of ten years, which will include the firearm's description and serial number, and the buyer's identification information, as well as the FOID number" My point is simply in my case they already have all of the information they need to know what you have. I also believe that there is monitoring by agencies with very big computers that screen for specific words, phrases, searches that flag a transmission for additional scrutiny. It would not be difficult for them to input any criteria they want to search for terrorism, drugs, guns, etc. Take the class if you want the permit get it. Old guns passed down have no trail to follow. If it gets really bad in the future stor you guns, kick in your door and call the police to report the break in and the theft of all your guns.

red angus 2010":2gxekj93 said:
bbirder
I hope you don't mind if I offer my opinion. In Illinois the FFL (federal firearms license) has to obtain approval of any gun sold with different waiting times based on handgun or long gun. A portion of the Illinois law reads: "Records of a sale are to be obtain by a dealer for a period of ten years, which will include the firearm's description and serial number, and the buyer's identification information, as well as the FOID number" My point is simply in my case they already have all of the information they need to know what you have. I also believe that there is monitoring by agencies with very big computers that screen for specific words, phrases, searches that flag a transmission for additional scrutiny. It would not be difficult for them to input any criteria they want to search for terrorism, drugs, guns, etc. Take the class if you want the permit get it. Old guns passed down have no trail to follow. If it gets really bad in the future stor you guns, kick in your door and call the police to report the break in and the theft of all your guns.
+1

BTW, you still got that gun I sold to you last week? ;-)

Ryder":ffosw96i said:
red angus 2010":ffosw96i said:
bbirder
+1

BTW, you still got that gun I sold to you last week? ;-)

What gun?????

With the information that is available to our government don't think for a second that there isn't anything they can't find out about you right now. I don't think that there will be a time when the government comes door-to-door collecting weapons. Why? Too many people believe in that right to enforce, and too many smart people that understand trying to do something like that will probably end badly for them. I think that there's a threshold for paranoia concerning things in life and I feel we've reached it for certain things (like guns). Remember, the media makes money by you watching/reading/clicking. If they can produce enough articles about your rights be taken away, and can get you to read/watch/click on all of them, they make money. Do I believe that there is a push to limit certain types of weapons? Yes, wholeheartedly. Do I believe that they'll go door-to-door or do mass collections? Probably not. It won't end well.

There's fighting in the street already, but led to slaughter like sheep? Don't see how that would work.

ga.prime":1zwiqyak said:
There's fighting in the street already, but led to slaughter like sheep? Don't see how that would work.

Go back and read about Hitler and the Jews just substitute gun owner.
He wasn't the first or last to annihilate a class that was found undesirable.

A question to all of you that have the concealed permit. How many times have you had to defend yourself with your weapon. Just curious never pulled a gun or had one pulled on me.

ga.prime":30vezh5p said:
bbirder, you need the CC permit to legally have a concealed firearm in your truck or car. If you want to keep your firearm laying out in plain sight at all times on your dashboard or seat, then you do not need it. LE going door to door collecting guns of CC permit holders will never happen for several reasons and even if it did you could tell them you had all your guns stolen or you sold them.

Sorry but I have to correct you. Do you remember a storm by the name of Katrina? After the storm, cops from as far away as CA went to New Orleans to "help" with the aftermath. Cops went door to door, occupied out not, searching houses for weapons. Confiscated every single one they found. To my understanding, not one of them was ever returned.

These searches did not come with a list of owners. They were house to house searches by nation wide LEO's that came to "assist."

hurleyjd":apfmlzdg said:
A question to all of you that have the concealed permit. How many times have you had to defend yourself with your weapon. Just curious never pulled a gun or had one pulled on me.

I've only needed mine once, and that was 34 or 35 years ago. Hopefully I'll never need to use it again.

hurleyjd":1crlg8el said:

Twice once during the looting and thefts after a hurricane.

never had to pull a gun to defend myself or anyone else yet....

but in past times I was able to do so with my bare hands and a bit of hostile intent...

now I am 67 and not able to effectively do so any more but I am still to young to surrender to Evil...

I am now on my third iteration of a five year concealed carry permit...

I can testify that it comes in handy if you ever get pulled for a traffic stop and you are carrying.....I got pulled the other day allegedly for an inspection sticker that had not expired....I drive a cargo van as my personal vehicle....pulls my bumper trailer and I have my saddles and tools and everything but women and money in it.....I get stopped sometimes because of the van....been pulled for driving too slowly....45 approaching a 45 zone....

hurleyjd":2ww2ekxu said:

I've had to defend my calves from coyotes. The only reason I got mine is because I carry a 380 in the glove box of my Polaris & have to drive county roads to get to portions of the ranch - not that the Sheriff really cares but just making sure I'm legal. The 22 & 223 are in a gun boot secured to the bed. I have no intention of ever pointing a gun at someone BUT it's amazing how many people trespass on the ranch because "they didn't know it was private property" & wanted to fish in the lake, illegally hunt or kids having a drinking/drug party. You just never know.

hurleyjd":fcgx2qus said:

Once while walking out of a theater. guy was walking very fast directly toward us with eyes locked. I put my wife in the car and turned back to him face to face. he was aggressively approaching I waited until he was 20 feet and had asked several times can I help you. I pulled and pointed and he stopped and then turned and ran behind some other cars. I got in my car and left.

every time I pick up a hitch hiker I pull my gun and lay it in my lap. I tell them if they want a ride that I have a gun and will hold it while they are in my vehicle seems to work very well.

Latest posts