You can't buy pants with grease on them

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":2ppxxt9e said:
Sure they can. Peter Principle says everyone will eventually rise or be promoted to the level of their own incompetence. Once at that level, it's easy to find a reason to fire them.

Sometimes but not always. CB gave a perfect example to the contrary in describing his work history earlier.

TexasBred":1py44oa6 said:
greybeard":1py44oa6 said:
Sure they can. Peter Principle says everyone will eventually rise or be promoted to the level of their own incompetence. Once at that level, it's easy to find a reason to fire them.

Sometimes but not always. CB gave a perfect example to the contrary in describing his work history earlier.

Ambition is the key factor in the Peter principle. People that are ambitious will rise to a level where they can longer be effective. CB may have risen for reasons other than ambition.

Bigfoot":3lg0kolx said:
TexasBred":3lg0kolx said:
greybeard":3lg0kolx said:

Ambition is the key factor in the Peter principle. People that are ambitious will rise to a level where they can longer be effective. CB may have risen for reasons other than ambition.
CB rose because he was highly effective in his job at every level. He quit rising when he decided on his own with no outside influences that he had reached the point of diminishing return. Too many never recognize when they reach this level and that's when they create the bottleneck in the entire system.

TexasBred":5rcdmud2 said:
CB rose because he was highly effective in his job at every level. He quit rising when he decided on his own with no outside influences that he had reached the point of diminishing return. Too many never recognize when they reach this level and that's when they create the bottleneck in the entire system.

Been caught by a couple of those bottle necks. Only way I know thru is to go way above them with the evidence and stab them in the back like they were stabbing me. That sort of politics is not me and I got out. Internal politics of large companies is not about merit for the best part. Three of the people who were causing me issues when I got out of that company eight years ago are still at the level they were then. And while I may not be looking at a six figure income any time soon, I enjoy what I do, and I did not have to stab some one in the back to achieve it :)

1wlimo":23g60173 said:
TexasBred":23g60173 said:

Been caught by a couple of those bottle necks. Only way I know thru is to go way above them with the evidence and stab them in the back like they were stabbing me. That sort of politics is not me and I got out. Internal politics of large companies is not about merit for the best part. Three of the people who were causing me issues when I got out of that company eight years ago are still at the level they were then. And while I may not be looking at a six figure income any time soon, I enjoy what I do, and I did not have to stab some one in the back to achieve it :)
Sounds like you've got the right outlook anyway. Hope an opening comes for you soon.

Caustic Burno":30ade44t said:
TexasBred":30ade44t said:
The person that cannot be replaced cannot be promoted either. :nod:
I agree 100%

I experienced that first hand. Was promised another job at one company once an opening came available. Within two months of them telling me this someone in that position quit unexpectedly but they gave it to a young kid right out of school who hadn't been with the company but a few months. I was pretty upset and spoke my mind and was told I was too valuable where I was. I told them it wasn't reflected in my salary so they and gave me a guilt offering raise which I accepted but it wasn't enough to change my mind nor was it enough to match what this kid got with this promotion. It wasn't long before I was offered another job and turned in my notice. The management was shocked at this because I had just built a new house and I would have to walk away from this. Once I started my new job they called and offered to double my salary. I refused. A year later they offered to triple my salary if I came back. I refused their offer because I know longer had any respect for them or their word.

greybeard":1vb67iok said:
There ain't nobody indispensable--CEOs have been replaced and founders/owners of companies have been forced out. Everyone below that level; even more so. Ain't ever no shortage of people lined up or a file cabinet stack of current resumes just waiting for someone to die, get fired, quit or retire. Do your job, earn every penny in your check while you have a job so you can keep a job, but ya owe them nothing more and they owe you nothing less than your pay, agreed upon benefits, and a reasonably safe working environment.

I agree with that. If it's not your business to cash the profits and sell for the assests, it's not your business to do more than agreed upon.

And then it better be in writing. People's memory sure get short when there isn't a piece of paper spelling things out with signatures on the dotted lines.

However, I don't think others are wrong in that hard work CAN pay off. May not always be immediate, but as Jo said, the culture of rewarding for it has to be there.

The culture to not reward is pretty prevalent.

A good measure as to how happy a home a work place is, is find out how long everyone has been there. A good work place will have a high average of years worked.

Bestoutwest":13ykb2mt said:
Caustic Burno":13ykb2mt said:
You are a tool to a company and that is all. Too many people think they are a real
valuable tool and they are nothing more than a half inch box wrench, that can be
replaced at any hardware store. The majority of workers are to lazy to become a socket set
or toolbox increasing their value to the company.
No one can crap on you but you this is I am the poor victim.
Educate yourself and become more valuable to the company remembering you are still just a
set of tools.
From a guy that started with two zeros behind his starting salary to having five behind it when I left.
Could have went higher became satisfied with my station that is on me and no one else.
The company didn't hold me back I did.

That's all good and dandy, but in my profession, I'm not moving up to the five 0's range unless I have specific initials behind my name-which at this point in life is not feasible. Not everyone has the opportunity for that type of job growth. You were very fortunate to have the job you had at the company you had, and to obviously have the intelligence that you possess. Not everyone is as gifted IQ-wise and will top out as a broom pusher. It's the way the chips fall. Good for you that you were able to soar to the level that you did, not all of us are that lucky. We're not lazy, we're just in different industries.

No you are either satisfied of scared the two reasons employees stick it out.
I left being a journeyman butcher that I knew was a dead end job for my family,
took a pay cut to become a laborer in a job with potential. I wanted to able to deny my kids
items because they didn't need it not because I couldn't afford it as well pay for college.
The best part is all three of them did better than their old man.

I agree that not everyone has the same IQ but everyone can improve what they have through education. It is easy doing what you know lot harder on what you don't.
Have to be able to recognize what you don't know and educate yourself.
It all boils down to Victim or Victor attitude.

In my experience if you want to keep a good employee you have to pay him what he's worth or someone else will.

The guys that say pay me more and I'll do more to earn it only do it for a while then they slack off.

If a guy has work ethic and drive he's going to work hard no matter the pay.
They are hard to come by and expensive to keep but the added wage to keep them outweighs the wage

The warehouse manager we have now was hired years ago as an order filler and his work ethic put him where he is today.

The owners had to explain to him that we need warehouse help. If a guy was lazy or didn't show up for work that he couldn't keep firing them. That he had to understand that not everyone had the same work ethic that he does and the guys that do don't work in a warehouse filling orders for 10,00 an hour

Ryder":20ddexzk said:
dun":20ddexzk said:
Cross-7":20ddexzk said:
If a guy has work ethic and drive he's going to work hard no matter the pay.
Someone that "gets it"
+1
Self respect.

This is the main problem I see with the newer employees that I work with. They have no pride in their work or their reputation as an employee. On the other hand I admit it gets harder every year to give the company your best when they keep cutting my benefits and retirement to keep the company afloat and they keep upping the CEOs pay when he makes 4,000 times what I do. I do not have a problem with what he makes, but I do have a problem when everyone is asked to cut back but the man at the top.

Latest posts