You can't buy pants with grease on them

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
That was just something somebody said in passing this morning. We were in a discussion, about getting people motivated. I shared that I felt like I had lost my ability to motivate people. He said,"You can't buy pants with grease on them, and they don't sell leather gloves with holes in them". There is no substitute for hard work. Not sure what many of yaw do for a living, and I have never shared what I do. I can tell you this. People do seem to lack drive and determination. I'm usually the upbeat one. Sorry, but why does nobody want to exert effort? All it could possibly do is benefit them.

greybeard":2uwoq6ys said:
There is no substitute for hard work.
Whoever said that has never laid down for a nice afternoon nap...

I'm 51 years old and I've never slept in daylight hours unless I was sick. Now my Dad, on the other hand, takes a 20 minute nap every afternoon about 2 o'clock.

Ol' 243":1823s0m0 said:
greybeard":1823s0m0 said:

I'm 51 years old and I've never slept in daylight hours unless I was sick. Now my Dad, on the other hand, takes a 20 minute nap every afternoon about 2 o'clock.
He's a smart man. That way he's all rested up to go to bed early at night.

Ol' 243":1gdzpnwt said:
greybeard":1gdzpnwt said:

I'm 51 years old and I've never slept in daylight hours unless I was sick.
Same here--way back when I was 51.

For whatever reason, I think many just view their work as a job and not a career. Many jobs are dead end jobs and the pay has nothing to do with effort. I've worked in many of these type jobs and felt I have always been more motivated than my average co-worker but loyalty and self motivation only goes so far. In my 47 years of working I found those who rewarded me with liberties or bonuses were the ones I willingly and eagerly went the extra mile for. To me, a win/win deal has to be in place for me to give that 110%. Sadly, many employers expect 110% and give nothing extra. In my mind, this is exploitation and I found the worst thing an employer can do to a loyal worker is make them where they no longer give a dam. I've been treated this way and have had to listen to my employer explain why my bonus for the year's work wouldn't be coming because of some nonsense.

From these experiences, I learned to treat my employees in the manner I wanted to be treated and this has worked very well in most instances but not in all. Surprisingly, some people don't want to take the ball and run with it even if it puts a lot of money in their pocket. Some just want a job with no responsibility and no amount of money will make them do more. People are different and you just have to figure out what mold they came out of to figure if they are looking for a job or a career.

Jogeephus":163cxlux said:
For whatever reason, I think many just view their work as a job and not a career. Many jobs are dead end jobs and the pay has nothing to do with effort. I've worked in many of these type jobs and felt I have always been more motivated than my average co-worker but loyalty and self motivation only goes so far. In my 47 years of working I found those who rewarded me with liberties or bonuses were the ones I willingly and eagerly went the extra mile for. To me, a win/win deal has to be in place for me to give that 110%. Sadly, many employers expect 110% and give nothing extra. In my mind, this is exploitation and I found the worst thing an employer can do to a loyal worker is make them where they no longer give a dam. I've been treated this way and have had to listen to my employer explain why my bonus for the year's work wouldn't be coming because of some nonsense.

From these experiences, I learned to treat my employees in the manner I wanted to be treated and this has worked very well in most instances but not in all. Surprisingly, some people don't want to take the ball and run with it even if it puts a lot of money in their pocket. Some just want a job with no responsibility and no amount of money will make them do more. People are different and you just have to figure out what mold they came out of to figure if they are looking for a job or a career.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I do a good job at work. Part of it is that I get a monthly performance report, but also because I can't feel like I earned my paycheck unless I put out the effort. That being said, I wish my company cared just a bit more about me as a worker. I have to flex my OT during the week so I don't get paid. I had my retirement matching cut a couple years ago while the CEO got a big fat bonus. I know I could make more if I started out on my own, but as of yet, I've never come across anything that makes me yell 'That's it!' and want to quit my job to pursue it as a career.

What's scary for me is the direction that I personally think society is going. Watch the movie Wall-e. I'm afraid we're headed to a society where people just want to float around and play virtual golf all day. It's kind of scary.

It seems like for many people they do not care about the job, they only want a paycheck and then as soon as they get a little money in their pocket they want to call in sick or I don't really feel like working today.

Then there are those as some have mentioned put forth the 110% effort for a company but the employer doesn't really care and only sees these employees as a means to an end.

We have a Grandson who we are very proud of and is a good hard worker and is conscientious about his job and doing it right, but he also has an employer who recognizes him and his work ethic and has rewarded him for it. He is working for a plumbing company and in just a few months has progressed right up the ladder and he is now training some of the new employees and is receiving pay raises, a company vehicle. Other employees ask how can this be, but it is only because they don't want to put forth the effort. One employee was even pictured and posted on the bulletin board at his work sleeping on the job.

No one can give you drive and determination.
I started as a laborer and ended up in charge of the largest gasoline refinery in the country
nights weekends and holidays.
Too many are just satisfied getting by and are not willing to continually better their education and
station in life.
It is easier to stay in the hole you dug and complain than build a ladder and climb out.

I totally agree with you Jo as well. I will bust my arse for an employer that appreciates and notices I work hard.

I have a little story. I worked for a packaging equipment company, we made machines that fold and glue boxes.. Most of them are straight-forward.. they're the trays you see at costco with tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers. They designed a new machine that was to glue a box about the size of a banana box, with it's own fold-down lid, very complicated triangular stiffeners, and it was waxed to top it off. The machine was worth $250,000, and they were about to throw it in the garbage because they couldn't get it to glue because of the heavy coat of wax on the cardboard. I had worked there 2 years, I was at $15/hr, and I spent 6 weeks on that machine, and finally got it to work properly, the customer was impressed. This box was designed to hold BRICKS.. I tested it by putting an empty box on a pallet, I filled a box with scrap steel (300 lbs), and put it on top, filled another half full box, put that on top, and then stood on top of the stack.. The bottom box had over 600 lbs on it and it didn't budge.. THAT was a success.
About 2 weeks after that machine shipped I had my 2 year review, I was hoping for a $2/hr raise, and expecting $1... I was some sort of pizzed off when they gave me $.75. I steamed and stewed, I definitely pouted and lost any drive to work hard.. I wrote a letter to the big boss, saying I was offended, but if they couldn't commit to a long term raise, I think a bonus for that job would have been deserved. I got the other $1.25 I was hoping for. 2 months later an experienced co-worker quit, and I took up his duties (for an extra buck), and a few months later another quit, ditto, another $1. Then came a HUGE install of 10 machines at 5 locations for FritoLay (when they say Jump, you say "how high?").. From August to christmas I was on the road continually.. I didn't use 1 roll of toilet paper at home in that time, and half way through that stint I got another buck.. Finally I was getting recognized in terms that made paying rent and having something left over at the end of the month.
I loved the job, and the "big boss" was great to work for, he was the kind of guy who worked crazy hours as well, and got his hands dirty when there was a job to finish. There were many times when a bunch of us would work all night to get a machine ready for final inspection in the morning. It was the manager that had to prove his job and pinch pennies.

That was a longer story than I expected.

Unless I own the business, there is a limit to my commitment. When I do my job, I do it to the best of my ability and I go the extra mile for the job ive committed to do. But Im done being available at the drop of a hat for however long necessary.

Did the job of two people for 2 1/2 months last year.

This year, was headed to the hospital for testing and a fellow employee was having a baby. Got the flu from one of my kids during all this, so i was working overtime sick. My boss was on a fun trip I found out later, I thought it was company related. I worked long enough that I was late for my flight to Houston, did the testing, flew back and went right back to work without sleeping for the past 2 days. I didn't mind filling in for that, I did mind that someone didn't cut their fun time short.

So come this February, I needed some time off. My boss misread some dates I sent. She scheduled another trip during my time off. I again thought it was work related, so I and the other guy flipped some stuff to where he covered her time away, and I did mine plus his that was scheduled right before going into the hospital for surgery. I'll be danged if I didn't find out she was on a ski trip.

If the scheduled needs covered, don't call me. I've got a vacation planned.

Worked at one place that had profit sharing, the employees under me worked their butts off. When it came time to pay up, the head office/ceo called to speak with the uppers at that location (I was in on the call) about changing the agreement and presenting it to the employees. I had been there the shortest time, but was the only one to speak up and say no, I wouldn't do it. They made a deal, had the employees underperformed they wouldn't have altered the agreement to pay them. So no dice. Others mumbled along a little afterward, but they sure didn't put their neck on the line.

I've worked for good businesses, they are out there. But I think the culture of taking care of employees is lost in most bigger companies. It's too much about numbers and rewarding the managers for the labor of the peon.

But my view might not be objective at the moment.

You are a tool to a company and that is all. Too many people think they are a real
valuable tool and they are nothing more than a half inch box wrench, that can be
replaced at any hardware store. The majority of workers are to lazy to become a socket set
or toolbox increasing their value to the company.
No one can crap on you but you this is I am the poor victim.
Educate yourself and become more valuable to the company remembering you are still just a
set of tools.
From a guy that started with two zeros behind his starting salary to having five behind it when I left.
Could have went higher became satisfied with my station that is on me and no one else.
The company didn't hold me back I did.

Back when I was falling timber there was two things that motivated the people. The first was we made a lot of money. A person wanted to hang on to a job that paid that well. And it was a small enough industry that your good or bad name got around. The second was there were no annual review, warning letters, etc. Job security was the amount of sweat dripping off your nose. You got to witness people being fired regular enough that it was always in the back of your mind that it could happen to you.

There ain't nobody indispensable--CEOs have been replaced and founders/owners of companies have been forced out. Everyone below that level; even more so. Ain't ever no shortage of people lined up or a file cabinet stack of current resumes just waiting for someone to die, get fired, quit or retire. Do your job, earn every penny in your check while you have a job so you can keep a job, but ya owe them nothing more and they owe you nothing less than your pay, agreed upon benefits, and a reasonably safe working environment.

CB, you are right, there's a lot of people out there who just go about the day to day work, punch in and punch out... I wouldn't consider them particularly valuable. At the company I worked at, I was part of a core group of people.. there were about 5 of us that knew the ins and outs of every part of every machine, and had well-rounded skills.. I could program, machine, weld, draft, design, assemble, and MOST importantly, I was creative and was able to troubleshoot effectively (many people can't troubleshoot without a chart telling them everything).
Finally the company realized this core group of people was valuable when I expressed my dissatisfaction (and I was looking for another job), and 2 other experienced guys DID quite and find other work. I can respect someone who has a family and doesn't want to do the 80 hour weeks the traveling service techs had to do on a regular basis, but someone who won't stay a minute past quitting time usually isn't that dedicated to the job either.

A couple months after I quit and came back to the farm the company got sold.. I don't know how much I would have enjoyed working there after that..

Sure they can. Peter Principle says everyone will eventually rise or be promoted to the level of their own incompetence. Once at that level, it's easy to find a reason to fire them.

greybeard":j11yug2w said:
Sure they can. Peter Principle says everyone will eventually rise or be promoted to the level of their own incompetence. Once at that level, it's easy to find a reason to fire them.

We discuss that often here.

Caustic Burno":2jxetp2g said:
You are a tool to a company and that is all. Too many people think they are a real
valuable tool and they are nothing more than a half inch box wrench, that can be
replaced at any hardware store. The majority of workers are to lazy to become a socket set
or toolbox increasing their value to the company.
No one can crap on you but you this is I am the poor victim.
Educate yourself and become more valuable to the company remembering you are still just a
set of tools.
From a guy that started with two zeros behind his starting salary to having five behind it when I left.
Could have went higher became satisfied with my station that is on me and no one else.
The company didn't hold me back I did.

That's all good and dandy, but in my profession, I'm not moving up to the five 0's range unless I have specific initials behind my name-which at this point in life is not feasible. Not everyone has the opportunity for that type of job growth. You were very fortunate to have the job you had at the company you had, and to obviously have the intelligence that you possess. Not everyone is as gifted IQ-wise and will top out as a broom pusher. It's the way the chips fall. Good for you that you were able to soar to the level that you did, not all of us are that lucky. We're not lazy, we're just in different industries.

Latest posts